Bringing Up Children Here?

Headshot

Yes that proves the point I was making there are so many second rate schools turning out unqualified nurses all in the name of profit, but the reason these schools exist is because so many misguided students want to be nurses rather than being guided into a more appropriate vocation.

Before Hillary Clinton became Secretary of State, and shut down the conduit for nurses entering the US (in collusion with the ANA, which saw an advantage in creating a nurse shortage in the US by shutting off the Filipino tap), those students who chose nursing in the Philippines were making a very wise decision. Even now, you would be hard pressed to find a hospital in the US where the majority of nurses aren't Filipino. Nursing schools in the US have failed to supply the additional nurses, and the shortage of nurses has become critical.

It isn't so much that the nurses who graduate in the Philippines aren't qualified, but since the US disallowed Filipino nurses entering the US, there are a lot less Filipino nursing graduates willing to spend the money and take the time necessary to study for and pass the international certification exams. It isn't that they can't pass the exams, but with far fewer prospects overseas (because of the collapse of US demand), nurses have been forced to concentrate on the domestic market (which is totally flooded). When the Philippine market suddenly flooded, hospitals radically cut back on salaries and radically degraded how they treated the nurses they hire.

My wife and I have several friends who are nurses in the US and Canada who are making good to extremely good money as registered nurses. We have two friends (married to each other) working in the LA area who are bringing in six figures each as intensive care nurses. Therefore, I have a hard time with anybody who says that Filipinos cannot compete in an international market as nurses. They can, and they do.

BTW, Cebu Normal University (CNU) has about the lowest tuition in the area for its nursing program, and is also the hardest school for new students to get into because of its extremely high entry standards. Because of its high entry standards and excellent teaching, they have had a 100% pass rate on nursing certification exams for the last four years in a row, and extremely high pass rates before that. No other school in the Philippines comes even close to that achievement. High tuition does NOT guarantee the best schools at the university level in the Philippines.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 6
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RogerDuMond

• USMC-Retired

• smokey

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 2 stepdaughters   20 yr old in 4th year college at Southwestern for teaching degree. If she were in the USA she would be far behind as she graduated in 10th grade and is on track to finish wi

I have to agree.  I went to rubbish state schools in the UK, left with no qualifications at 16. Well, a 25 yard swimming certificate.  Still managed through dedication and focus to become successful.

If so..  what is it that brought you here in the first place..  there must be something about the Philippines that you love.   And though you might like to get "back" to the UK..  your wife and kids

Posted Images

TheWhiteKnight

and what vocation would that be IT with a call center job... or hotel management with a job cleaning rooms ... or Acct. with a job in a money changing store

Exactly, what the BEST outcome they can hope for in any career here? 50K maybe 100K a month? No guidance in the world can fix the fact that even the best fecking jobs here are NOTHING compared to developed nations.

colemanlee

I know many people in the US that make far less than 2k usd per month...

• Like 1
TheWhiteKnight

I know many people in the US that make far less than 2k usd per month...

That's on them and their own limitations.

Let's just take the minimum wage in Flordia of 8.05 and hour, so 1288 a month or about P60K. Those jobs are hard to come by here, period, even in the best of schooling. Someone with no education at all in the US could make far more than that, and if they have a good western education more power to them.

The comparisons made between western living (wherever the education may have come from) and living here are reminding me of discussions between military members, contractors and federal service employees.

When comparing the Philippines and a wage paid here, there's a lot more to consider than just the bottom line amount. The prices for services, food, medical care, education and so on don't compare so easily.

This was the same when I listened to arguments between military and others. The soldiers usual statement to get the conversation going was "You civilians(contractors or government employees) earn way more than I do. As well, you get paid for overtime when I work 24/7/365.”

If the conversation went very far, the next part of it was comparing the benefits (and costs) which came with the choice of career (military or otherwise). Even when those benefits were compared, it was never really complete since there were other factors such as early retirement and such.

When I read the comments about comparing incomes between in or outside the Philippines, I am disappointed that more members don't see the benefits of living, working and having a family in the Philippines. I am not specifically referring to expats or non Filipinos. I am just hoping some will see there is much more to a lifestyle choice than just income.

I can appreciate the OP having interest in the opinions of others who have lived thorough the experience of raising a family. Good luck sorting through all the ramblings, mine included. I still believe there is adequate educational opportunities in the Baybay city area.

• Like 7
USMC-Retired

I am disappointed that more members don't see the benefits of living, working and having a family in the Philippines.

I am not when riding a jeepney to earn P250 a day is not desirable.  Life may not be about money yet somethings cost the same no matter where you live.  Living as a retiree in the Philippines is a wonderful experience yet raising a family can be trying.  I needed a pediatric ENT Surgeon for my son.  Guess what country does not have one?  

RogerDuMond

Let's just take the minimum wage in Flordia of 8.05 and hour, so 1288 a month or about P60K. Those jobs are hard to come by here, period, even in the best of schooling.

Apples and oranges. When you compare wages in different countries, you also need to compare costs of living.

• Like 3
TheWhiteKnight

Apples and oranges. When you compare wages in different countries, you also need to compare costs of living.

You didn't answer the original question. My point is, your kid is still unlikely to even get a job that even pays 60K so meanwhile they are eeking out a living on a 20K call center "good" job and your guidance can't do a thing about that. I don't care if they can eek out a piece of shit living here and be so stupid they don't know the difference. The OP is trying to do whats best for his kids not what's best for the pensioner that wants desperately remain in "paradise". Go ahead convince me how great and how far 20K goes here.

My BIL owns his own house, has a wife and two children, eats vegetables he grows for him and his family, shares the frequent family gatherings, and seems to be quite happy. He has Philhealth which has adequately covered many of the family ailments. He earns ₽350 a day.

The children attend school, have toys and loads of playmates.

Not sure what else to describe, but he is well below the ₽20,000 a month income being discussed.

He does not have cable television, an Internet connection, airconditioning, a car.

smokey

you keep saying that and in many cases its cheaper in the usa unless you want to live with one light bulb and pitch water.... Walmart food is way cheap.. Costco is cheap,, electronics are cheaper.... Gas is cheaper... in many states rent and houses are cheap compared to same here... .. electric and internet are cheaper.... water is cheaper ... Arizona cost are low and you can protect yourself

• Like 4
RogerDuMond

are eeking out a living on a 20K call center "good" job and your guidance can't do a thing about that

That is why the guidance has to come while they are in school so that they end up with a profession that pays well and not just a job. It does no good to complain about it after the fact when the guidance should have come before the choice of profession. It is just logical to prepare your child for their future. Of course if they aren't smart enough to excel here then maybe a western education is better for them. I am just saying that with proper guidance a child can prosper in their own country, but you do what you think is best for you.

you keep saying that and in many cases its cheaper in the usa unless you want to live with one light bulb and pitch water...

This has nothing to do with proper education and career choice in the Philippines.

smokey

That is why the guidance has to come while they are in school so that they end up with a profession that pays well and not just a job. It does no good to complain about it after the fact when the guidance should have come before the choice of profession. It is just logical to prepare your child for their future. Of course if they aren't smart enough to excel here then maybe a western education is better for them. I am just saying that with proper guidance a child can prosper in their own country, but you do what you think is best for you.

This has nothing to do with proper education and career choice in the Philippines.

Apples and oranges. When you compare wages in different countries, you also need to compare costs of living.   i think YOU said this and it has nothing to do with proper education so are you scolding yourself or just me

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

I needed a pediatric ENT Surgeon for my son. Guess what country does not have one?

Not sure, but Manila has three hospitals that have Pediatric ENT departments that preform surgery.

• Like 1

I am just saying that with proper guidance a child can prosper in their own country,

I see your point here but why does "their own country" matter, at all? If education is for prosperity in the world, diplomas and connections from first-world countries definitely carry more weight.

love to one's country is delusional. It's Stockholm Syndrome. Rationality taught me whoever can treat me best is where I belong.

• Like 3