Bringing Up Children Here?

USMC-Retired

The biggest cause of failure in the Philippines is the lack of guidance counseling when choosing a vocation. An engaged parent is going to guide the child properly, because the schools don't do it.

No the biggest failure is lack of funding where three students share a book or class size exceeds 30.  Where the environment is so bad they can not learn.   What do they do with that vocation once they earn it?  Is there opportunity or is the technology so far behind it is worthless.   That was and has been the problem with the nursing universities.   Parents do play a role yet I am not going to teach my children Physics, Latin or Chinese.  All I can do is ensure the are working towards those goals at the beginning of the year.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RogerDuMond

• USMC-Retired

• smokey

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 2 stepdaughters   20 yr old in 4th year college at Southwestern for teaching degree. If she were in the USA she would be far behind as she graduated in 10th grade and is on track to finish wi

I have to agree.  I went to rubbish state schools in the UK, left with no qualifications at 16. Well, a 25 yard swimming certificate.  Still managed through dedication and focus to become successful.

If so..  what is it that brought you here in the first place..  there must be something about the Philippines that you love.   And though you might like to get "back" to the UK..  your wife and kids

Posted Images

smokey

No the biggest failure is lack of funding where three students share a book or class size exceeds 30.  Where the environment is so bad they can not learn.   What do they do with that vocation once they earn it?  Is there opportunity or is the technology so far behind it is worthless.   That was and has been the problem with the nursing universities.   Parents do play a role yet I am not going to teach my children Physics, Latin or Chinese.  All I can do is ensure the are working towards those goals at the beginning of the year.  

I like the 27 holidays national and the local you know fiesta this and that .. oh and no school rain , storm etc ..

• Like 2
to_dave007

So..  we got it.  You think that the school system in Philippines is sh*t, and you would not want your kids attending there.

Now, why don't you try to find 17 more ways to say the same thing..  just so that we really and truly understand your opinion..

Edited by to_dave007
familyguy

We've got 2 children, 4 and 2 and although I like it here the thought of my children being brought up/educated here and not in the UK doesn't really appeal to me.I don't know if it's a racist thing or what... perhaps I've got a negative view of Filipinos because of my wife's family or the area where we live... but whatever it is I keep finding myself saying - I'd like to get us out of here and back to a "normal" type of life in the UK.Am I the only one ?

I have a 4 year old son and a 9 month old son. The 4 year old is in school here since last year. Just like anywhere in the world the better (and more expensive the school) the better the education. That's my own humble opinion. I do want to go back to the US for my son's education but I can't afford anything but public school. So, confused I be. When we first moved here my wife told me that life is simpler here and people are happy even though they have little. I see this to be true. It's hard adapting to another culture when all your life you have had your own culture. You need to weigh the plusses and minuses then ultimately make a decision. It's your decision and even though hearing feedback from the great people in this forum, should not sway you. As maybe you already know what your decision is. Good luck to you... And me

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

So..  we got it.  You think that the school system in Philippines is sh*t, and you would not want your kids attending there.

Now, why don't you try to find 17 more ways to say the same thing..  just so that we really and truly understand your opinion..

There is an item in forums called the quote button.  When people have an opposite opinion they use the quote button.  Now if people quote me I should and do have the right to respond to what they say.  Now maybe you think other wise but that is not the way a conversation in a forum works.  So if you want to add to the conversation vice off topic non-sense feel free.  

RogerDuMond
That was and has been the problem with the nursing universities.

Your opinion. My opinion is that they turn out way more graduates than the system can hold and most of them are unqualified. You might be surprised to know that one of the best teaching hospitals for nursing in Cebu, is Velez because they actually only take qualified candidates and not just everybody that can afford the school.

Edited by RogerDuMond
  • Like 1
smokey

I kind of agree with him and I have had 6 children in schools here how many kids did you put thru school high school and college not kinder and grammer school and your welcome to your opion   

• Like 1
smokey

wow so that is the best school and how many of their nurses are making over 400 us a month ?  And they wont let you in no matter how much you pay? 

USMC-Retired

Your opinion. My opinion is that they turn out way more graduates than the system can hold and most of them are unqualified. You might be surprised to know that one of the best teaching hospitals for nursing in Cebu, is Velez because they actually only take qualified candidates and not just everybody that can afford the school.

No one is saying there are not good schools in the Philippines.  This is a good read about Nursing and Nursing Schools.

Overall, the data is showing IEN pass rates on the NCLEX-RN have steadily declined over time from an average of 58 percent in 2004 to 32 percent in 2015,” notes Squires. No significant changes were found in the number of candidates following the 2008 economic crisis or the 2010 WHO Code.

http://www.futurity.org/nurses-brain-drain-1216312-2/

colemanlee

The PMA and PNPA are two very good schools....I have not heard them mentioned

RogerDuMond

No one is saying there are not good schools in the Philippines.  This is a good read about Nursing and Nursing Schools.

Yes that proves the point I was making there are so many second rate schools turning out unqualified nurses all in the name of profit, but the reason these schools exist is because so many misguided students want to be nurses rather than being guided into a more appropriate vocation.

• Like 1
PhilsFan

I enrolled my 3rd grader in Xavier here in CDO this year. Costs for the year look to be about 60,000/yr. It's a big step up from the low-end private school he was attending. Mother and myself are very involved in his schooling. I would rate his education recievied as better than mine when I attended a good public school oh so many years ago. 

Cruising sailors with young familes use homeschooling programs. The best programs provide a solid education allowing the brightest students to enroll in any university the family can afford.

Parents with a little money DO have choices. The role model you set as parents and the expections you set for your children is, I believe, a big key to future success. 

I am disappointed with the "helicopter parent" role model we are seeing so much of in the US. Parents have NO time for themselves because they are too busy running around after work for swimming/football/wrestling practice, etc.

Something is wrong with the culture in USA when the children are the sole focus of the family...it's not healthy. At least here, you can afford help when needed to free up some of your time and still have an active role in parenting and educating your children.

Stressed out parents affects the whole family.

When it comes time for University for my child, he will attend a good one here or in US or perhaps join the Service and get his education there. A blue passport will be in his future at some point.

• Like 5
smokey

Yes that proves the point I was making there are so many second rate schools turning out unqualified nurses all in the name of profit, but the reason these schools exist is because so many misguided students want to be nurses rather than being guided into a more appropriate vocation.

and what vocation would that be IT with a call center job... or hotel management with a job cleaning rooms ... or Acct. with a job in a money changing store

• Like 2
PhilsFan

If Du 30 accomplishes his stated goals and cleans up the Philippines, I will be very optimistic about the future here. There is no reason why a country can not change. If good change comes, there will be plenty of opportunities for young and old folk to better their lives. Lord knows the filipino people deserve good governance.

• Like 2