Bringing Up Children Here?

Skywalker

Or did I miss the part about how middle aged, middle class white guys had a good life in spite of a difficult childhood.

You seemed to have missed a lot of stuff, hardly surprising really.  Nobody mentioned anything about a 'class' system, though I can see how you might have got muddled up when class was mentioned with regard to schools.

The point being made, was that the schooling side of education represents only one aspect, and there is no 'magic bullet' with regard to education in the West.  A point which has been very ably demonstrated.  Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RogerDuMond

• USMC-Retired

• smokey

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 2 stepdaughters   20 yr old in 4th year college at Southwestern for teaching degree. If she were in the USA she would be far behind as she graduated in 10th grade and is on track to finish wi

I have to agree.  I went to rubbish state schools in the UK, left with no qualifications at 16. Well, a 25 yard swimming certificate.  Still managed through dedication and focus to become successful.

If so..  what is it that brought you here in the first place..  there must be something about the Philippines that you love.   And though you might like to get "back" to the UK..  your wife and kids

Posted Images

RogerDuMond

Someone here said Roger wife works in The Usa 6 months of the year maybe because he has a problem in the usa,she proberly works there so he can send his kis extended family kids to good schools,

My wife moved to the US on a spousal visa 23 years ago. I am 71, retired, and live in the Philippines because I like the culture and the people. I retired early from Eastman Kodak to care for my father who had Parkinsons Disease because my wife insisted on it. We have no kids together and my youngest child is 36. My wife works there 9 months per year and has a 3 month paid vacation. She will continue to work for a couple more years because she wants to put more money into her 401k which is matched dollar for dollar by her boss.

I had custody of all three of my kids from two marriages. My oldest daughter from my first marriage is military. My son is a bum because of a lack of good schooling and no involvement by me because I was working 12 hours a day 13 days on and one off. My youngest daughter is a success because I worked with her on supplementing her schooling because the schools in West Palm Beach were terrible.That is why I say despite any country where you live, the most important thing is involvement in your child's education after all, it is your responsibility. I shirked that responsibility with my son.

I don't put any kids through school here, but I do mentor a niece to help with her education. She will do well in life here, because she will pick an appropriate vocation.

• Like 9
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Let's see, how does that go?

Oh here it is.

back on topic please

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

My wife moved to the US on a spousal visa 23 years ago. I am 71, retired, and live in the Philippines because I like the culture and the people. I retired early from Eastman Kodak to care for my father who had Parkinsons Disease because my wife insisted on it. We have no kids together and my youngest child is 36. My wife works there 9 months per year and has a 3 month paid vacation. She will continue to work for a couple more years because she wants to put more money into her 401k which is matched dollar for dollar by her boss.

I had custody of all three of my kids from two marriages. My oldest daughter from my first marriage is military. My son is a bum because of a lack of good schooling and no involvement by me because I was working 12 hours a day 13 days on and one off. My youngest daughter is a success because I worked with her on supplementing her schooling because the schools in West Palm Beach were terrible.That is why I say despite any country where you live, the most important thing is involvement in your child's education after all, it is your responsibility. I shirked that responsibility with my son.

I don't put any kids through school here, but I do mentor a niece to help with her education. She will do well in life here, because she will pick an appropriate vocation.

71 years young, God bless.

Okay, based on your info about your son, now I can sort of see why you feel the way you do about this topic but each of us is different and what is good for one or has happened to one may not be the same for all. I know our countries are changing but we are a product of our countries and most of us would not be where we are today had it not been for our countries opportunities and education. 

As for your wife getting as much as possible put away in her 401k, that is understandable but let me say from experience, that there is a lot more to life than just money, each day together with my wife is a blessing to me and I believe to her based on the fact that she has saved my life a couple of times when she could have instead collected the large life insurance policy I had at the time, so we would not trade those valuable days for all the money in the world and I would not be here today had my wife not been next to me to realize that I was in breathing distress those times, so unless you have someone else, say a nurse, sleeping next to you or in your room to watch over you, all the extra money could sadly one day end up for naught. Life and time is precious, just my opinion, but I say never waste any of it.

I hope the op made his decision based on his particular life situation and I am sorry if any of my thoughts on the situation went astray. 

• Like 1

Personal dedication and intelligence plays a big part in who we are and what we achieve.  I have seen people here on this forum who dont seem to have learned how to do even the simplest of things, and who seem to continually seek help in making the most basic decisions- presumably when they have received what they perceive as a good education.

You're missing the whole point. Education isn't about knowledge or achievement. Knowing a lot or being a kind person wouldn't help when you have to watch your loved ones dying because you cannot cover medical cost.

It's all about wealth and position, before anything else.

Davaoeno

You're missing the whole point. Education isn't about knowledge or achievement. Knowing a lot or being a kind person wouldn't help when you have to watch your loved ones dying because you cannot cover medical cost.

It's all about wealth and position, before anything else.

I appreciate you explaining that to me . I have obviously  misunderstood the concept of education most of my life .

• Like 1

I appreciate you explaining that to me . I have obviously  misunderstood the concept of education most of my life .

No you haven't. A first-world citizen needs not to trouble himself with the shitty aspect of hard life like here. I'm sure your kids could be very happy learning anything they want in a first-world country like Denmark or Norway, but first you have to get them there.

Edited by aqd
Headshot

No you haven't. A first-world citizen needs not to trouble himself with the shitty aspect of hard life like here. I'm sure your kids could be very happy learning anything they want in a first-world country like Denmark or Norway, but first you have to get them there.

Methinks you know very little about how others live or their background. You just make assumptions based on no actual knowledge. Davaoeno is a vertically-challenged, weight-challenged, acne-challenged, gay Korean who was born in England, grew up in Canada, fits in nowhere, and went to law school so he could sue the pants off of people who insult him. You have no idea what its like to be him, so you shouldn't just apply your own imagined stereotypes to everybody (just because that was what you gathered from watching Western TV). Not everybody grew up in an Ozzie and Harriet world.

Now, you should really try to get back on topic, because otherwise some moderator or administrator might take offense.

• Like 2
miles-high

The education system here is poor, to but it mildly.

Hmmm, I am not sure about that…

When I was living there full-time, I actually “worked” with many Filipinos… From my experience, once any Filipinos are admitted to local “higher education” system, e.g., law schools, medical schools… almost all of them who go into private practice go to well-known US law schools such as NYU, Yale, Harvard, Georgetown, UofM, just name a few, for their graduate degrees, some go to schools in UK, EU, or even to Japan… same for med school graduates from UST, etc.

Even thought they are usually in their 20's or early 30'sh, they are well-educated and very well-paid...

I think it is kids’ parents who should make sure their kids are well-educated, regardless of the education system in the Philippines and secure their future success…

• Like 3
USMC-Retired

Your kidding right? You are taking small sample size of Ivy league graduates to make your point. There is not one Philippine University ranked in the top 500 in the world. There is a reason behind that. You are also saying send them to the US for education just now at the University Level. If the education standard was so good the Philippines would be leaders in something: research, technology, or science related. They are not even a blip on the radar.

Education in the Philippines is sub-par, a blind squirrel will sometimes find a nut, however the majority go hungry.

• Like 2

The Philippines is a 3rd world backwater. Great for old retired kanos, cheap beer and ciggies, young women, what's not to like. But do you really want to raise and educate your children here?

Nobody moves to the PI for the education and opportunities.

• Like 4
miles-high

your point

My point is don't blame poor children for their poor Filipino education system – send them to good schools, private or public, in country or out, perhaps to Ateneo, UP, Singapore, Cambridge, Ann Arbor, London, Paris, wherever it takes them to…

As I said above, it is the parents who should make sure their kids are well-educated and secure their future success, whatever it takes or costs…

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

supplement their education at home.. we are big believers in that and the internet makes it exceedingly easy today

there are tons of useful websites.. i've said before we are big fans of kahns academy goes from k to college all sorts of subjects

• Like 3
Kabisay-an gid

Your kidding right? You are taking small sample size of Ivy league graduates to make your point. There is not one Philippine University ranked in the top 500 in the world. There is a reason behind that. You are also saying send them to the US for education just now at the University Level. If the education standard was so good the Philippines would be leaders in something: research, technology, or science related. They are not even a blip on the radar. Education in the Philippines is sub-par, a blind squirrel will sometimes find a nut, however the majority go hungry.

The University of the Philippines (Diliman flagship campus in Quezon City) is ranked in the top 410 universities in the world, and is #70 in all of Asia. That puts it in the top 2.5% of universities in the world.

http://www.topuniversities.com/universities/university-philippines#wur

• Like 2
USMC-Retired

The University of the Philippines (Diliman flagship campus in Quezon City) is ranked in the top 410 universities in the world, and is #70 in all of Asia. That puts it in the top 2.5% of universities in the world.

http://www.topuniversities.com/universities/university-philippines#wur

Yes and online unversities are included in that % stats so they are skewed to make it seem better. One choice in the top 500 in the world 100 million people. They have improved since 2014. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.