Bringing Up Children Here?

JohnSurrey

We've got 2 children, 4 and 2 and although I like it here the thought of my children being brought up/educated here and not in the UK doesn't really appeal to me.

I don't know if it's a racist thing or what... perhaps I've got a negative view of Filipinos because of my wife's family or the area where we live... but whatever it is I keep finding myself saying - I'd like to get us out of here and back to a "normal" type of life in the UK.

Am I the only one ?

• Like 2
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RogerDuMond

• USMC-Retired

• smokey

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 2 stepdaughters   20 yr old in 4th year college at Southwestern for teaching degree. If she were in the USA she would be far behind as she graduated in 10th grade and is on track to finish wi

I have to agree.  I went to rubbish state schools in the UK, left with no qualifications at 16. Well, a 25 yard swimming certificate.  Still managed through dedication and focus to become successful.

If so..  what is it that brought you here in the first place..  there must be something about the Philippines that you love.   And though you might like to get "back" to the UK..  your wife and kids

Posted Images

Nangulo

The education system here is poor, to but it mildly.  If you like it here and you want to stay, you need to find an internationally accredited school to keep your kids in, and they're not cheap.  Moving back to the UK for a proper western education is a long-term view of your children's future.  Nothing racist about that.

• Like 3

We have a six year old boy that we home school. We have had him in 3 different kindergarten schools with only one of those, DAACA in Dumaguete, being a good school. He would still be there but we moved. We hired a young lady to teach/tutor him. He is doing incredibly well.

• Like 1
delancey

We've got 2 children, 4 and 2 and although I like it here the thought of my children being brought up/educated here and not in the UK doesn't really appeal to me.I don't know if it's a racist thing or what... perhaps I've got a negative view of Filipinos because of my wife's family or the area where we live... but whatever it is I keep finding myself saying - I'd like to get us out of here and back to a "normal" type of life in the UK.Am I the only one ?

You are not the only one. Children change the equation here. My expat neighbor's young child is influenced by the locals. Better schools can't change the overall environment for education. There is no culture like the UK, naturally.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/feb/12/top-20-family-friendly-museums-galleries-uk

The conflict is that I find the people here more happy and grateful for small things, not as miserable in the West. As mentioned it is not all one sided, many educated and disiplined professionals live here. A lot of expats do fine here. Pick your poison.

Personally I want to get mine back to civilization in the next couple years. For me, poorly educated masses and the mall as culture, not what I want for a child.

Not sure where the racism comes in. Freudian slip, perhaps. If you're uncomfortable with the lifestyle, culture or such, a move to another country may serve you well. The Baybay city area has a fair number of private schools available.

I've got children who have been educated here, presently one in college, two in high school. I'm quite satisfied with the education they are getting. They have done well in spite of some limitations. Even so, I do not like some of the teaching methods or some limitations on subject material.

However, there's no assurance I would have any better result if I were to move somewhere else. You know the expression, "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it." I'm certain that moving to some other country is no guarantee my children will be better served by a different education system.

If you've got the resources and ability to move your family, go for it. I'd especially consider this a good option if you have misgivings now, before the children started in school.

• Like 1
cebubird

We left behind a beautiful home in a reasonably quiet and safe area, and it was primarily for our 5 year old's education. For his sake, hands down, best decision we could ever have made. If we had to send him to public school here, then maybe we wouldn't have made the decision, but thankfully we can have him in a private Christian school.

rainymike

If the issue is the school, my advice is that you need to spend some time researching the schools. There are both good and bad private/public schools. In the worst case, the quality of instruction, the facilities, the administration and the overall learning experience is horrible. In the best case, I don't find any real difference in the educational experience. 

In the worst case, there is an over emphasis on rote memorization, teachers are not prepared, administrators are unable to manage the facility, the teachers, or the students. Recent curriculum changes at the national level has made it challenging for all schools. The better schools have weathered the change well.

On the other hand if the issue is filipino culture, then can be problematic. Not sure you can take the culture out of the school.  

I'm fine with raising my kids and sending them to a local private school, but it took a lot of legwork on my part to find a campus that I was happy with.

• Like 4
Skywalker

If so..  what is it that brought you here in the first place

*sigh*

I really can't imagine.

smokey

If so..  what is it that brought you here in the first place..  there must be something about the Philippines that you love.

And though you might like to get "back" to the UK..  your wife and kids won't be going "back" to the UK..  since that's not their native country. They'll be immigrating to the UK.

Have you asked yourself what can you achieve in the education of your children here in the Philippines, IF you become really engaged in their life, and their education, and in the choice of their schools?  I agree that the standard for many people here is quite low, but this country DOES produce quite competent doctors, and engineers, and other professionals, and lots of skilled tradespeople that are good enough to get hired into many countries around the world.

Furthermore the economic growth rate here in the PI is now higher that the economic growth rate in many other places, and that translates into future opportunities for those ready to seize them.

It's easy to look around and see aspects of Philippines life that you don't like. Just remember that you felt the same way about the UK when you came to Philippines in the first place.

(BTW I have 5 and 4 year old boys, and we plan on educating them here in the Philippines)

well if he is like most of us he came to meet a women which he did and he married and has children so any move he makes is for the children he already has the best the Philippines has to offer a loving wife and mother

• Like 4

but this country DOES produce quite competent doctors, and engineers, and other professionals, and lots of skilled tradespeople that are good enough to get hired into many countries around the world.

How many of Philippine students get admitted into Oxford or MIT every year?

• Like 1
Skywalker
I'd like to get us out of here and back to a "normal" type of life in the UK.

You mean the free education, healthcare and welfare benefits, free housing, etc etc?

The tax payer picks up the bills?

Yeah I can see why that would be attractive.

Exactly why should the British tax payer educate your Filipino kids?  Because that bit escapes me.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 4
smokey

don't get to excited about a degree here sure its nice but in our case our nurse was told that degree  and 18 months more school in the usa will get her a shot at a lic to work in her trade

I am curious how many guys moved to the Philippines because of the weather ,,, or the food ... or could it be the women...