How do you and yours run your finances?

• Administrator
Salty Dog

The number of times I hear or read about some dinosaur foreigner here, who has died and left his family (often very young kids) with nothing, makes my blood boil.

These selfish old farts come here with minimal finances, and act like teenagers with not a care in the World.  Finds a girl, give her his spawn, leaves her and her children destitute.

Makes me ashamed to be a foreigner at times, but then the locals practice it as well, usually just plain abandonment.  Hope this isn't off topic.

If he's an American Dinosaur, than the wife and children will be getting the children's social security for many years to come...

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

If he's an American Dinosaur, than the wife and children will be getting the children's social security for many years to come...

That depends of if he has actually devoted the time and expense to properly process the paperwork for the children to be in the system, If not than it is highly unlikely they will ever receive anything once he dies. I have know some here who have processed the paperwork so their children receive US citizenship and made appropriate wills which provides security for their spouse and children. I have also known a few expats who never did anything but act like irresponsible children. Some old boys personal affairs and pensions are so complex due to past marriages and previous children that any lands and assets back in the States will be fought and picked over by ex-wives and previous spouses that their new Filipino family stands little to no chance receiving any funds from those assets even if they could afford to contest them.  

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 3
smokey

That depends of if he has actually devoted the time and expense to properly process the paperwork for the children to be in the system, If not than it is highly unlikely they will ever receive anything once he dies. I have know some here who have processed the paperwork so their children receive US citizenship and made appropriate wills which provides security for their spouse and children. I have also known a few expats who never did anything but act like irresponsible children. Some old boys personal affairs and pensions are so complex due to past marriages and previous children that any lands and assets back in the States will be fought and picked over by ex-wives and previous spouses that their new Filipino family stands little to no chance receiving any funds from those assets even if they could afford to contest them.  

oh james the guiding light of reason but isn't that also true for children in the usa if the old fart dies here will anything be left for them children?  and even if a guy has a will ha ha ha granting his other children from his other life anything I am sure that will not be worth the paper its written on... So it swings both ways

I have a bank account where all income is deposited to. I generate an ACH or, fill out and electronically deposit a check from that account, to my Schwab account. 

Then, either I go to the MayBank ATM to draw out X number of funds, or she does it. I then give her X number of funds to run the household for the month. I do not dictate what she buys, never have with any g/f or wife. They know how to run their households on the budget I give them. If she were to need additional money for something out of the ordinary, she will let me know.

• Like 2

I just hid a number of unnecessary comments. Let's stay on topic here.

We put our money into joint account for day to day bills etc and save up in a separate account.

When I was divorced from my first wife we split the house, she took the inside and I got the outside :shitstormretarded:

• Like 9
Oz Jon

We put our money into joint account for day to day bills etc and save up in a separate account.

When I was divorced from my first wife we split the house, she took the inside and I got the outside :shitstormretarded:

Yes! - some of my friends tell me  that divorces are expensive hobbies.- Lol!

I don't really know from personal experience - (we will have been married 60 years next December)

All our assets and most of our main bank accounts are in joint names - never been a problem with that - we live simply but well.

Never had any interest in keeping up with the Jones's, or having fancy cars, or the latest expensive "thing" (no i-phones, only $40 functional talk+text phones, etc)

We have a good life, not rich, but comfortable  - want for nothing of significance - we just mutually agree to spend any significant amounts.

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 4

My wife has several business in which she makes several 130,000 to 190,000 Pesos/month  

My SS, VA Disability and a very small pension are deposited in my Credit Union in the US.

I transfer to her BPI Account about a ⅓ of my income.  I pay for the groceries at the beginning of the month.  I pay the Landline and Cell Phone (Post Paid).  I put a sum into each adult child's savings account and a smaller sum in to the children's savings account.  Lastly I pay any outstanding balances on my CC  That usually leaves me with $500-700 that goes into my savings account

She pays all the help, including for some room and board.  She will buy additional groceries mid month.  And when we go out to dinner, she usually buys - 

So Far So Good - 6 almost 7 years 

Oh my wife is on my accounts in the US and has her own Debt/ATM Card - but she never uses it.

That is That

• Like 2

Our accounts are all joint.  She handles all the bills and any purchases are joint consent.  She is tighter than 2 coats of paint.  I have to beg for my weekly allowance. I couldn't be happier :)

• Like 5
Skywalker

I have to beg for my weekly allowance.

What does that even mean?

You are no longer a man?

NOSOCALPINOY
Our monthly expenses is set aside each month and it's "take what is needed for whatever the cause" and whatever is left over at the end of the month, it's carried over for next month's expenses. 

Extra money in our joint savings account is for whatever our other wants and needs maybe within reason without breaking the bank and or going over our maximum credit card limit. :search1:   

• Like 1
Havelland

What does that even mean?

You are no longer a man?

My guess is she wears the pants and his are pink!!!

• Like 2

Well, after 27 years with an American woman who trashed my life, this little pinay I'm married to now is the sweetest woman on earth! I would wear her pink undies on my head if she asked :)...