Sign in to follow this  
Ozepete

How do you and yours run your finances?

Ozepete

Some recent threads raise the question of just how we run our finances specially as many of us are on our second / third marriages etc. (Had to pay high departure taxes!!)

It appears that there is a range from those that operate a 'loan ranger' system where they dole out pesos / dollars to their partner on a needs basis, through to the 'all in together' method where all is shared equally. There must be lots of various arrangements in between these two extremes.  

We share everything. (She spends, I pay?)  Not really, all property, bank accounts, cards etc are in both our names and apart from major purchases which we discuss first, each of us just buys whatever we need. We have nothing separate but I am lucky though cos my wife is a great contributor, thrifty and deserves nothing less than to be treated equally.

• Like 6

lamoe

Same   -  never had a problem with money  - now  that we are not together I did sign the condo I live in and the car over to her - Will also not be getting married again

Have not changed will - she put up with me for almost 49 years - deserves whatever is left if I go first.

• Like 3

Ozepete

she put up with me for almost 49 years - deserves whatever is left if I go first

49 Years!!!   She deserves a fecking medal, well both of you do!  :hyper:  :hyper:

• Like 8

lamoe

49 Years!!!   She deserves a fecking medal, well both of you do!  :hyper:  :hyper:

No she does  - was asked once how we did it  -  I replied with the first thought that came to my mind - not one of my more well thought out  moments.

"Low expectations " :killself:

What I meant was i accepted that there would be highs / lows and never expected to be happy every minute of every day.  Too many demand  a joy  joy / happy happy marriage and are ready to pack it in when it isn't.   With money being the biggest problem.

While money might have been a problem at first (not having  much) how it was spent never was.

• Like 3

Derick

OPPS I really was going to answer that question then i realized my secret mine alone.

Do not leave in Bank that is all.

spydoo

Same   -  never had a problem with money  - now  that we are not together I did sign the condo I live in and the car over to her - Will also not be getting married again

Have not changed will - she put up with me for almost 49 years - deserves whatever is left if I go first.

If they swear, "Til death do us part" and don't keep their end of the bargain then I don't believe they deserve anything, unless the man fails to keep his part in being faithful.

• Like 2

colemanlee

I pretty much let her run the businesses on her own...I rarely tell her how to do it though if she asks I offer my opinion...we separate the businesses from my pensions. using my stuff for daily living an putting the money from the businesses back into the businesses for expansion...I am fortunate to have a wife that is very good at business...very good with managing money....leaving me to enjoy my retirement...

• Like 7

broden

we have no his and her money bills or anything else..everything is ours

we keep a budget even though sometimes it takes a few dings like anyone else's does

• Like 4

Mikal

we have no his and her money bills or anything else..everything is ours

we keep a budget even though sometimes it takes a few dings like anyone else's does

That's the eventual objective, but it can take some time to get there, mostly due to a lack of experience in managing money and budgeting.  Although I will freely admit that I'm also being very careful about exposing my assets.  Just seems prudent to me.

• Like 3

RogerDat

My money is her money, and her money is her money. From the beginning.

• Like 3

HeyMike

The one thing about living hand-to-mouth is that there are no money decisions. When we have money, the bills get paid. If there is anything left, then we eat.

• Like 2

HTM

"How do you and yours run your finances?" :kidding: 

I put in my ATM card one or three times, 40-120k
Paying bills, expenses and buying food, then repeat as needed.

• Like 1

miles-high

One of the condos is 100% owned by her, registered under her name only, pure and simple (or fee simple or whatever ;)), no mortgage, no encumbrances, nada, its association fees paid for a few years at a time :D When I am gone, she could trace my money 100% and will be hers... :)

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite

My wife and I have been married 30 years, she is shred, fugal, responsible and honest; having worked by my side building several businesses from the ground up on tight budgets over these many years has taught her how to live within one's means, always stay on budget and to spend responsibly. I explicitly trust her personal judgment and her ability to run the farm, handle the household and deal with the day to day responsibilities when I am away or preoccupied on other projects. I also trust her judgment of people and her ability to negotiate,  handle logistics and her business savvy. All our assets are in her name and in that of our son anyway so she should be able to handle the money in a joint fashion. How does one expect to successful live here in the Philippines if you can trust your spouse and constantly have to second guess their actions or decisions? My wife has the intestinal fortitude to stand firm with her family and locals to insure we are not being cheated or taken advantage of, and it is this security which certainly makes living here much easier than many who post on these threads.

First of the month I simply hand her the wallet with the confidence in her ability to always do what is best for our combined interest and knowing that priorities are foremost in spending funds. This is why I can accomplish so much on such a limited monthly income and can afford our lifestyle here on such a marginal month income. My wife is my secrete weapon and best asset living here. She is my life-partner, closest confidant, best friend, dependable interpreter, financial manager, business advisor and trusted right hand.  If I had to describe my wife in just two words it would be quite easy for me, "A Blessing''.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 9