Local Wood for a Smoker?

• Administrator
Dafey

I like to BBQ and have set a kettle cooker up to use as a smoker, of sorts. In the US I used to like to use Hickory, Mesquite, Citrus woods and occasionally old whiskey barrel wood for smoking meats.

Are there any local woods that would be good for a smoker?

Are there any local woods I should avoid?

KennyF

Mango is a nono.

KonC

• Like 3
shadow

I like to BBQ and have set a kettle cooker up to use as a smoker, of sorts. In the US I used to like to use Hickory, Mesquite, Citrus woods and occasionally old whiskey barrel wood for smoking meats.

Are there any local woods that would be good for a smoker?

Lanzone works very well. Hard to get it burning, but once you do it burns very slow and smoky. A few one inch diameter sticks will smolder for hours. 

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

filter or non-filter?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

no filter

Does Mango have toxic fumes?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

guava is supposed to be good

and i've heard of people using coconut shell but it burns fast and smokes out a good bit so you probably have to keep an eye on it

• Like 2
Lee From Cebu

Acacia tastes like Mesquite  Mango has a poison in it . Never breath burning mango leaves  

Guava is good too . . Avacado is good ..Most types of citrus are good also 

Never use any evergreen type wood .

shadow

no filter

Yes. The toxin is in the black soot that mangoes produce. The soot covers everything in or near a mango tree. If you wash the soot off, it is not as toxic, but you will never get it all off, and it still is not worth using when there are other options available.

KennyF

i've heard of people using coconut shell

Agreed.

Use the dense fibrous husk immediately next to the "scull".

KonC

• Like 2
shadow

Agreed.

Use the dense fibrous husk immediately next to the "scull".

KonC

It makes a great starter. I use it to get a fire going good, then drop some pieces of green Lanzones on it. The Lanzones doesn't burn for shit on it's own, and the coco husk works great to get it going.

ricardo123#

I use fresh corn cobs and husks on top of a small charcoal fire.. I soak the husks gives my pork belly a nice sweet taste and smell

• Like 2
Headshot

no filter

The mango tree is closely related to the poison ivy plant. Burning the wood (or any other part of the plant) gives off irritating oils similar to what you would get from burning poison ivy in an open fire. If it gets into your lungs, it can kill you. It is definitely a no-no.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1