Sign in to follow this  
shadow

US Embassy press release

shadow
Manila, August 12, 2016 — We have seen reports of inappropriate and unacceptable comments made about Ambassador Goldberg, a multi-time ambassador and one of the U.S. Department of State’s most senior diplomats. As stated by Elizabeth Trudeau, Director of the Office of Press Relations at U.S. Department of State, the Philippine Chargé was asked to come to the State Department so we could directly convey our view that the comments were inappropriate and unacceptable. We do not go into details of those diplomatic discussions.

The U.S. funding of $32 million in question is not new funding, but rather cumulative funding previously appropriated that we are currently implementing. Assistance provided by these funds is subject to the same rigorous vetting as our other security assistance. All of our security assistance promotes human rights through training content and by promoting professionalism, due process, and the rule of law. Our partnership with the Philippines is based on a shared respect for rule of law, and we will continue to emphasize the importance of this fundamental democratic principle.

The United States strongly believes in the rule of law, due process, and respect for universal human rights, and that these principles promote long-term security. We are concerned by reports regarding extrajudicial killings of individuals suspected to have been involved in drug activity in the Philippines. We strongly urge the Philippines to ensure its law enforcement efforts are consistent with its human rights obligations.

Our bilateral relationship with the Philippines is broad-ranging from law enforcement to trade and development cooperation, and counts on vibrant and undeniably strong people-to-people and societal ties. The U.S.-Philippine relationship, one of our most important in the Asia Pacific, has withstood the test of time.

Jawny

Thanks for sharing the info. Pretty standard diplomatic language, but I was not expecting a statement regarding the insulting language used regarding the US ambassador.

woodchopper

underlyiing tone?

SkyMan

:popcorn:

• Like 2

Irenicus

We are concerned by reports regarding extrajudicial killings of individuals suspected to have been involved in drug activity in the Philippines. We strongly urge the Philippines to ensure its law enforcement efforts are consistent with its human rights obligations.

LOL.  No mention of DU30's hint of enacting martial law?

Ummmm..... If you have any monies chitted away in the Philz, I recommend getting it out ASAP.

Ya know - just in case.

They elected their Trump - no telling what is gonna happen tomorrow.

• Like 1

cvgtpc1

I just hope the living in the Philippines option isn't gone by the time I get to partake....but they might be doing me a favor if it is LOL

Sent from my TF700T using Tapatalk

colemanlee

More from our ineffectual....bloated bureaucrats....Just sitting here trying to remember when our State Department ever did anything for Americans... 

• Like 3

Paul

The United States strongly believes in the rule of law, due process, and respect for universal human rights, and that these principles promote long-term security. We are concerned by reports regarding extrajudicial killings of individuals suspected to have been involved in drug activity in the Philippines. We strongly urge the Philippines to ensure its law enforcement efforts are consistent with its human rights obligations.

Rather than talking shit, just turn off the faucet and let them go to China for the money. I'm sure they make a deal.

fecking politicians and government kiss ass types are all the same. They just hail from different countries.

Just sitting here trying to remember when our State Department ever did anything for Americans... 

skeleton in rocking chair.jpg

• Like 3

ckfm

I am pretty sure DU30 has been offered a sweet deal by China. The US got away so many years by paying peanuts. I was shocked and surprised myself as to how little financial support the US is giving to RP.

As it is tradition, I expect the support/offer by the US  will rise 5 to 10 fold.

Martial law seems to be unavoidable in the RP.

More fun? More interesting? We shall see.

Not in country right now but as the man says "I will be back" - soon.

• Like 2

Paul

As it is tradition, I expect the support/offer by the US  will rise 5 to 10 fold.

Screw 'em. I'm all about looking after our own first, then look at foreign aid. It's way past time for us to cut off countries that just bite the hand that feeds them.

• Like 6

Monsoon

I was shocked and surprised myself as to how little financial support the US is giving to RP.

It is not easy giving money to the Philippines. Of course aid programs come with a vetting process. I know people who work in that process. 

A certain government (NOT THE US) gave "emergency aid" to build "emergency shelters" for typhoon victims of a certain typhoon. FOUR YEARS LATER they were still sitting around playing with themselves trying to meet the simple anti-corruption rules and other terms. You know, simple things like anything built will be to an acceptable standard, inspected, audits etc. So much for "emergency". 

That is just one of MANY examples I am personally aware of. I can't imagine just how deep it goes as a whole as my exposure is just limited to the people I know personally. 

• Like 3

cebubird

More from our ineffectual....bloated bureaucrats....Just sitting here trying to remember when our State Department ever did anything for Americans... 

Well, it appears that at least for the last 4/5/6 years, the State Dept has been to busy working for the 'crime' family foundation to take care of the PEOPLE'S business.

• Like 2

Jack_be_nimble

Of course aid programs come with a vetting process. I know people who work in that process.

I'm curious, was there a 'vetting process' for Pakistan?  I think the US gave approx 20 billion since 9/11.

• Like 1

Headshot

I'm curious, was there a 'vetting process' for Pakistan?  I think the US gave approx 20 billion since 9/11.

Or Afghanistan ... or Iraq ... or ...

A certain government (NOT THE US) gave "emergency aid" to build "emergency shelters" for typhoon victims of a certain typhoon. FOUR YEARS LATER they were still sitting around playing with themselves trying to meet the simple anti-corruption rules and other terms. You know, simple things like anything built will be to an acceptable standard, inspected, audits etc. So much for "emergency".

Which typhoon are you referring to?

shadow

Which typhoon are you referring to?

Take your pick!

• Like 2