Philippine Air

It has been over 15 years since anything bad has happen to a Philippine Air flight. Because the world is going into recession and the MILF has been undergoing a prolonged worsening agitation we are overdue for something else bad to happen. I am not worried, but are there any comments on the possibilities?

April 1970; Philippine Air Lines BAe 748; near Manila Philippines: The aircraft broke up in flight at cruise after an onboard explosion. A bomb in the lavatory was suspected. All four crew members and 32 passengers were killed.

# 3 February 1975; Philippine Air Lines BAe 748; near Manila Philippines: The right engine caught fire shortly after takeoff and the aircraft crashed during the emergency return to the airport. The fire was apparently caused by a failure in the right engine. All five crew members and 27 passengers were killed.

# 23 May 1976; Philippine Air Lines BAC 111; Mindanao Philippines: The aircraft was hijacked and some of the 82 passengers released. During negotiations, the aircraft caught fire as a result of gunfire and a grenade explosion. Eleven of the remaining passengers and three of the six hijackers were killed.

# 18 August 1978; Philippine Air Lines BAC 111; en route to Manila Philippines: A bomb exploded in a lavatory, killing a passenger. The aircraft was able to continue to flight and land safely.

# 26 June 1987; Philippine Air Lines BAe 748; near Baguio Philippines: The aircraft was destroyed when in flew into high ground about nine miles (14.4 km) from the airport during a daylight flight in poor weather and heavy rain. All four crew members and 46 passengers were killed.

# 13 December 1987; Philippine Air Lines Shorts 360; Mindanao, Philippines: The aircraft crashed into Mt. Gurain during a daylight flight in poor weather. All four crew members and 11 passengers were killed.

# 11 May 1990; Philippine Airlines 737-300; Manila, Philippines: While the aircraft was taxiing, one of the fuel tanks exploded. Eight of the 113 passengers were killed.

# 11 December 1994; Philippine Airlines 747-200; Pacific Ocean: A small bomb detonated under a seat, killing one of the 287 passengers. The person who planted the bomb boarded the plane on the first leg from Manila to Cebu, and left the flight at Cebu. The bomb exploded en route to Tokyo, and the crew diverted to Okinawa.

I always used to fly PAl when they went to the UK.

Never had any problems and mostly excellent service.

Worrying about what might happen is pointless.

I always used to fly PAl when they went to the UK.

Never had any problems and mostly excellent service.

Worrying about what might happen is pointless.

I agree, air travel is safer than driving a car. Even though, I drive everyday, I understand your concern. Look at it this way. If there were any serious saftey issues, the airline would fold due to the market. Look at Value jet.

Garrett

MattFromGA

One would hope it would be a bit harder for terrorists to board a plane like that nowadays, especially given all of the BS we go through when traveling. However, I'm inclined to think that the security is actually still full of holes and that serious terrorists could still get on board a flight with their weapons. I am confident that no grandma type will be bringing a weapon though as they always seem to be the ones most harassed.

I flew PAL for my tourist visa out-of-country run to Guam and they were fine. If I go to Guam again this year, I expect to use them again. No worries that wouldn't occur with any other airline. But I am tempted to run over to Hong Kong, just to say I did. Oh, and to buy a nice Kitchen Aid food processor.

One would hope it would be a bit harder for terrorists to board a plane like that nowadays, especially given all of the BS we go through when traveling. However, I'm inclined to think that the security is actually still full of holes and that serious terrorists could still get on board a flight with their weapons. I am confident that no grandma type will be bringing a weapon though as they always seem to be the ones most harassed.

I disagree, all the new BS we go through is all an illusion of security to make us feel like its safer.

The security in the Philippines is just like everything else here, half assed.fake, and a front, behind the scenes its a mess.

The security in the Philippines is just like everything else here, half assed.fake, and a front, behind the scenes its a mess.

Oh really? On what basis do you make such an assertion? IF - and it's a big "if" - what you say was true, then you can be sure that no international airline would land at any Philippines airport. But every day KLM, Northwest, Qatar, Cathay, Korean and Etihad planes land and take-off from this country.

More disenchanted-tourist nonsense.

Mark

I'm not a tourist, I am a pilot and I live in the Philippines.

See they got you fooled!

USMC-Retired

Terrorist are looking for the big target that makes news in the world. With the airlines hitting the twin towers and the pentagon the airlines are not going to be any prime target. The security measures such as bag matching for international flights and security when you enter the airport have increased 10 fold. So airline travel post 9/11 is not the going to be a primary point for terrorist.

I would think shopping malls or other large gatherings to be the targets. Something that has a lower risk yet has the same impact (death toll).

There are no predicting individualism type of terrorist yet lower risk with great success would be prime targets.

See they got you fooled!

See they got you fooled!

I wonder .... are you the member formerly known as "JLG"? Your original post is eerily similar to some messages JLG posted a few months ago when he made some wholy-unsubstantiated claims about how unsafe avaiation is in the Philippines.

Mark

I wonder .... are you the member formerly known as "JLG"? Your original post is eerily similar to some messages JLG posted a few months ago when he made some wholy-unsubstantiated claims about how unsafe avaiation is in the Philippines.

Mark

Great minds think alike

do you have a link to that post , I am interested?

I am not worried about flying either. I think its still kind of safe. At least safer than travelling with cars, which we do everyday. Or walking the streets for that matter, thats not safe either. Life is all about taking calculated risks and so far flying is not considered a dangerous thing to do.

But about the security. I do agree that its full of holes. Back in 2007 I took my family flying to Malaysia. In Mactan Airport my daughter just walzed through the security with a water bottle in her hands. She was only a couple of years at the time and all the security guards did was to smile and comment how cute she was. I myself had my pocket knife attached to my keys. I just forgot about it untill I was back home in Cebu City again. Then the knife had passed security in Mactan, Clarke and Kota Kinabalu. Back and forth. But I had to get my slippers x-rayed though. They made a big point out of that... They also made sure to snatch my lighters. So on the way back I just made sure that I had lots of coins in my wallet, then I stacked the ligher in my wallet behind the coins, and no one found it. Making it easier for me to have my cigarette once outside the airport when arriving.

I am also concerned about the safety in shopping malls. I know if I was to plan a terrorist attack thats where I would be heading. Just giftwrap the bomb and the security guards will let you in. Simple as that. I know from the experience of Christmas shopping in Cebu City. But then again, the calculated risk for me being exposed to a terrorist attack in Cebu City is still so small that I dont worry about going to the malls there. Life is never 100% risk free.

I misplaced my cell phone in my carry- on computer bag while going through security at Mactan.... I thought I had lost it on the conveyor belt...so the xray folks at both stations ran my bag through again looking for the phone and did not see it..... I gave it up as stolen.... Of course I found it upon upacking my bag in Dallas..... Its not terribly hard to pass things through security.... I think the best defense Airlines have now is an educated plane of passenger willing to take action if a terrorist pops up on board. There would have been no 9/11 if passengers would have been as proactive then as they generally are now in defending their plane.

tom_shor
I misplaced my cell phone in my carry- on computer bag while going through security at Mactan.... I thought I had lost it on the conveyor belt...so the xray folks at both stations ran my bag through again looking for the phone and did not see it..... I gave it up as stolen.... Of course I found it upon upacking my bag in Dallas..... Its not terribly hard to pass things through security.... I think the best defense Airlines have now is an educated plane of passenger willing to take action if a terrorist pops up on board. There would have been no 9/11 if passengers would have been as proactive then as they generally are now in defending their plane.

Yes but previous to that our own government advised you to co-operate with them and not make trouble.

Yes but previous to that our own government advised you to co-operate with them and not make trouble.

You are absoutly correct, but that was when a time when terrorist were taking the planes to Cuba, and not provoking the terrorist was the safe option. The terriorist got what they wanted and everyone survived. However, when the terrorist created an end game where the passangers die, then the government stopped advising the other course of action.

Garrett