Sign in to follow this  
emma gomez

Negactive Filipino Attitudes

emma gomez

Bahala na

To resigns himself to luck since the future is base on fate.Basicaly means "whatever will be

will be",that life finds solution for it self.

Ningas Cogon

Enthusiasm on a new project but once some problems comes along the interest evaporate as fast as the wink of the eye.

Kadyut/Usa pa!

Means,"wait a minute","later on",and it ends up that the work doesnt get done as scheduled.You can observe this in many public or private offices as time drags to get license,pay bills,or just simply a birth certificate.

This is just to name a few....

bdog

sorry but i dont understand what u mean?

Garrett
sorry but i dont understand what u mean?

Neither do I.

Sorry.

Bob Ward

Emma was probably making her first post so she did not get pruned from the forum. She chose to enlighten us with three Filipino phrases concerning self defeating traits that some Filipinos exhibit. Thanks Emma!

ckfm

The best thing a foreigner can do if he/she doesn't like the attitude is keep the wallet very close.

Bastos

Hi Emma, thanks for the post.

ayala

Welcome Emma! Buotan :D

Highlander
Welcome Emma! Buotan :D

Emma welcome to the forum.

Angie
The best thing a foreigner can do if he/she doesn't like the attitude is keep the wallet very close.

When those traits start to manifest, "soborno" steps in which is also another prevalent negative trait.

Mik

"Bahala na" could also be a positive attitude. I see Filipinos smile when faced with an adverse situation. For example, the guys that hang off the back of a jeeney when caught in the rain will smile inspite of getting soaked. Keep posting Emma.

Bahala na

To resigns himself to luck since the future is base on fate.Basicaly means "whatever will be

will be",that life finds solution for it self.

Ningas Cogon

Enthusiasm on a new project but once some problems comes along the interest evaporate as fast as the wink of the eye.

Kadyut/Usa pa!

Means,"wait a minute","later on",and it ends up that the work doesnt get done as scheduled.You can observe this in many public or private offices as time drags to get license,pay bills,or just simply a birth certificate.

This is just to name a few....

Doppelgganger

the "bahala na" is supposed to be positive...

looking at the root of the phrase... it's somewhat religious, pertaining to God or Bathala

bathala na ---> bahala na... meaning you do what you have to and leave the rest to the Lord.

as i've said, it was supposed to be positive but now it seems to have become a habit (negative) forming a character/trait

that is now seen as negative..

but isn't that the reason why we survived through many trials and pains hundreds of hundreds of years ago? isn't that

our strategy "bahala na" of surviving?

cagayanstar

I wonder if Emma is a Filipino or not. She is naming the negative traits of the Filipino. I remembered the words being taught to us by out teacher in the primary grade. There are some Filipinos who still exercise those negative traits but as Filipinos get more educated they learn from their own mistakes. :wub:

the "bahala na" is supposed to be positive...

looking at the root of the phrase... it's somewhat religious, pertaining to God or Bathala

bathala na ---> bahala na... meaning you do what you have to and leave the rest to the Lord.

as i've said, it was supposed to be positive but now it seems to have become a habit (negative) forming a character/trait

that is now seen as negative..

but isn't that the reason why we survived through many trials and pains hundreds of hundreds of years ago? isn't that

our strategy "bahala na" of surviving?