Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

Food Glossary

Scotsbloke

Good stuff....thanks.

Edited by Scotsbloke

USMC-Retired

Thanks for the edit Scots and Broden.  It seems to working now.  

goggleye

Great resource  thanks !

I had two new things I had never eaten in the Phils before in June and July.  Chesas and flounder.   If you havent had it  chesas is an orange fruit with a big brown seed - tastes like sweet potato  -   Saw and bought the first flounder I had ever seen at the Iba palenke,   been lots of places in the phils and I always love to check out the fish markets but I never saw it before.  Great grilled over charcoal.

ahoy53

Some real good info

Headshot

Great resource  thanks !

I had two new things I had never eaten in the Phils before in June and July.  Chesas and flounder.   If you havent had it  chesas is an orange fruit with a big brown seed - tastes like sweet potato  -   Saw and bought the first flounder I had ever seen at the Iba palenke,   been lots of places in the phils and I always love to check out the fish markets but I never saw it before.  Great grilled over charcoal.

Flounder and sole are basically the same thing, and halibut is a kind of flounder (a very large kind), so you have likely had flounder (of some variety) before. Flounder is one of the most common fish species in the ocean (with many different varieties), and are found from the Arctic to the Antarctic Oceans, in fact in all oceans, at all ocean temperatures, and at all depths (from tidal pools to the deep ocean trenches).

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

rep1

in English... still like alien terms to me. I'll just order by rolling the dice as usual.

But there is something interesting...

bayawak monitor lizard

will scan for this next time. :D

goggleye

Flounder and sole are basically the same thing, and halibut is a kind of flounder (a very large kind), so you have likely had flounder (of some variety) before. Flounder is one of the most common fish species in the ocean (with many different varieties), and are found from the Arctic to the Antarctic Oceans, in fact in all oceans, at all ocean temperatures, and at all depths (from tidal pools to the deep ocean trenches).

thanks good to know.   I have caught them and eaten often on the East coast of the usa,  one time we caught 200 pounds in a tidal river in Virginia,  Just the first time to see them in the Philippines.  The night before I had been chatting with my nephew about fish prices there - he asked  what was the price of flounder  - I thought well I had never seen one there in the phils  - the next day we went to Iba and there was one in the whole market that I purchased for 160 pesos a kilo .  Neng had never seen one before too growing up and living near Manila.

Headshot

Lechon isn't roasted pig. Lechon just means roasted, and can refer to any meat that has been roasted. Roasted pig is lechon baboy, and it is a whole pig roasted on a spit (not split).

Humba is lechon baboy that has then been stewed for a long time in seasonings. It has basically been cooked twice, which is why it is so flavorful and tender. They usually only use the pork belly portion of the lechon baboy for making humba, but any cut can be used.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

USMC-Retired

Lechon isn't roasted pig. Lechon just means roasted, and can refer to any meat that has been roasted. Roasted pig is lechon baboy, and it is a whole pig roasted on a spit (not split).

Humba is lechon baboy that has then been stewed for a long time in seasonings. It has basically been cooked twice, which is why is so flavorful and tender. They usually only use the pork belly portion of the lechon baboy for making humba, but any cut can be used.

Not perfect but will give ya a start

• Like 1

broden

Flounder and sole are basically the same thing

yeah so are canadians and americans

• Like 1

Headshot

yeah so are canadians and americans

Good God! Have you been eating Canadians and Americans again? I'm going to tell the Kiddo, and he won't like it.

• Like 1

broden

Good God! Have you been eating Canadians and Americans again? I'm going to tell the Kiddo, and he won't like it.

05zN5uP.jpg

• Like 1

Headshot

05zN5uP.jpg

So ... you're only into eating good looking Americans and Canadians? Does your wife know about this? Dude, she's going to put you back to work to occupy your time.

• Like 1

broden

So ... you're only into eating good looking Americans and Canadians? Does your wife know about this? Dude, she's going to put you back to work to occupy your time.

as long as i don't need bail money she doesn't care what i do

• Like 1