Sign in to follow this  
Jack_be_nimble

SSA online account - a US phone is now required for loggon!

Jawny

That's how you receive the login code via text. It sucks, I was going to sign up for SS this month, now I might have to make a trip to Manila or hope an outreach comes soon to Cebu.

I'm not sure if this remains true, but the staff at the embassy are pretty decent about assisting people with the process. They used to be. Perhaps you could reach out to them before an outreach. If the process can be done online, it should be possible by local mail.

NOSOCALPINOY

I've tried using my Skype U.S. phone number that can receive calls and or text messages on my home desk top and android phone Skype App from anywhere in the world, but it did not work on the SSA.gov website to log in. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I guess I'm S.O.L. now!

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY

Willyv2b

I also vote for Google voice. It works for me, I have used it for selling things in the USA through craigslist so the buyers don't know my real number.

battleborn

I received an e-mail from SSA that said after August 1 you must have a cell phone to receive the code to proceed with the log in.  I figured it would have to be a US phone # .  Just their way of making things harder on expats.  Wonder whats next before O leaves office.

rainymike

Just my experience. When I have to deal with SSA, I now do it by snail mail (with SS stateside). Have found dealing with Manila and SSA stateside by phone or online very iffy at best. If having a conversation with someone is necessary then flying to Manila is my distant second choice. Snail mail also provides documentation for you about any issues that you may have.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Used my GVoice, no problem.I guess it has been, no computer device - no SSA website, no internet - no SSA website.  So now they've added, no US cell phone - no SSA website.  PITA for expats but all you really need to do is get signed up for their annual review and they'll mail it to you once a year.  The think you can sign up for that by snail mail.  I really think they should look at security though.  Do we need 2 level security for this?  As far as I know there's nothing you can do online.  Just check reported earnings and such.

• Like 1

NOSOCALPINOY
FYI! I haven't yet logged on to the SSA website today since they are on Eastern Time, but just today I read these comments on another forum:

"The Social Security Administration(SSA) recently changed how you access your account online.  The changed required you to have a text enabled US cell phone to receive a code to open your account.  Of course many recipients both in the US and overseas did not have this capability but that was the requirement any way.  This requirement took effect I think around 1 Aug 2016 because I could not access my account.  It now appears that SSA has seen the error of their ways and reverted back to the old system, since I could access my account today". https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do

On the "my Social Security" page

"We removed the requirement to use a cell phone to access your account. While it’s not mandatory, we encourage those of you who have a text capable cell phone to take advantage of this optional extra security. We continue to pursue more options beyond cell phone texting."

• Like 1

easydrifter

Didn't they ever think of sending the code via email?

Kahuna

Didn't they ever think of sending the code via email?

I think they figure that if they've already hacked your logins then they've previously hacked your email as well.

easydrifter

Once in awhile Wells Fargo sends me a code by text that I need to enter before I can login to my account,my wife happens to be in the States right now with my old cell phone so I have her send me the code real quick so I can log in. When she returns here I may have a problem banking. Funny thing is though, sometimes if I just wait awhile and try again later, I can login without the code.

NOSOCALPINOY

I was able to log in to the SSA websites a few minutes ago without any issues. They did away with requiring a U.S. cellphone number. 

I just wonder what's next concerning their added security measures in the near future.  :idontknow:

• Like 1

easydrifter

You have to send them a selfie of you holding your social security card up by your face.

• Like 2

Fergie

You use to be able to get SIM cards with US numbers at globe not sure if u can still get them though.

tonny

Seniors balk and Social Security backs off text messaging requirement
By Joe Davidson

The Social Security Administration’s main campus in Woodlawn, Md. (Patrick Semansky/AP)

It’s good to keep up with the times, but the Social Security Administration (SSA) found itself too far in front of many people it serves.

Seeking to enhance online protections, the agency required “my Social Security” account holders to use a password sent to them via text message.

That was a problem for some older folks who don’t text message and don’t plan to.

“Who’s the youngster who dreamed up the idea of text messaging for senior citizens,” Franklin, 73, and Janice Moses, 70, of Arlington, asked in an email to the Federal Insider.

SSA officials got the message, not sent by text, and reversed course. Text messaging is no longer required.

“Our aggressive implementation inconvenienced or restricted access to some of our account holders,” said Mark Hinkle, an SSA spokesman. “We are listening to the public’s concerns and are responding by temporarily rolling back this mandate. As before July 30 (when the text messaging requirement began), current account holders will be able to access their secure account using only their username and password.”

Text messaging remains an authentication option and the agency continues to “highly recommend the extra security” it provides, but it is not mandatory. SSA is developing an alternative method that will be available within six months.

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), chairwoman of the Senate Special Committee on Aging, praised the agency’s decision. “I was troubled that the policy would have placed a high burden on seniors, many of whom do not own a cell phone,” Collins said in a statement released Monday. “While the Social Security Administration should develop ways to enhance security to prevent fraud, they must take into account the needs of seniors and ensure that they have easy access to their accounts.”

On Friday, she and Sen. Claire McCaskill (Mo.), the committee’s top Democrat, sent a letter to Carolyn W. Colvin, SSA’s acting commissioner, that said the agency’s security concerns must be balanced with a realistic understanding of its clients.

Salty Dog

I thought it was a pain in the ass too. I however don't know anyone, even a 94 year old, who doesn't have a cell phone. By the way, the 94 year old still drives. Yes I know some of you don't have a cell phone, so of course not everyone does.

So they have no problem getting online with a PC or sending emails, but they can't read (don't need to send) a text....:db:

Edited by Salty Dog