Sign in to follow this  
Jack_be_nimble

SSA online account - a US phone is now required for loggon!

Jack_be_nimble

Yep, as of a few days ago, you can't log on to your SSA account unless you provide a 10 digit US phone number that is able to receive a text code.  Yep, no international phone number will fit or work.

At this time, there is no other option; like anwering personal questions, or receiving the code by email.

I have no issue with having a 2 tier authentication for log on, but, REALLY????  NO OPTION FOR OVERSEAS FOLKS???????????????

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

Get a US number (whistle phone) or Use google voice.  The call them from hang outs.  

You could set this up following this link

click here

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 3

KennyF

I seem to remember that one of the Skype type services allowed you to nominate a number from whatever country you chose.

You could make a call from the Philippines to the USA for instance and the receiver thought you were in the USA too.

Perhaps someone can update this?

KonC

Jawny

I had the impression this has always been the case, tHat a USA phone number was required for online access. I've never bother to take the trouble, since the online access was pretty limited in features. In effect, I didn't think I was missing out on anything by being locked out.

Salty Dog

I applied for my Social Security from the Philippines online. I never visited or talked to a Social Security Office. I found it very handy and only took a few minutes.

Lee

Or for $9.99 a year a person can download the magic jack application on their android or Iphone and receive or make calls and or texts while either on data or wifi.

http://www.magicjack.com/magicApp.html

Also as Tim wrote, Google voice works well too and it is free, I use both.

• Like 3

Nangulo

I set up a number with Text+ app.  Then I found out that my MagicJack app would also accept.  Had my son in Florida text me at both numbers and they both worked.

SSA does it now but their text siad that all gov't agencies providing online services will be using two tier, so SSA may not be the only one asking for a text code.

Edited by Nangulo

Jawny

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/10/17/executive-order-improving-security-consumer-financial-transactions

I'd wage a dollar to a donut that some agencies will be able to comply with the multiple tier by allowing email to serve as the contact. I have some accounts that use email as verification. Others use text but allow overseas texts. Microsoft uses both email and text, either or.

I'd also wager that the SSA just took the bureaucratic approach and figured there were fewer overseas beneficiaries, so they took the easy way to comply. The executive order had a deadline, which has passed. Even the SSA is becoming compliant a bit late. Isn't that one of the two mottos of federal agencies......"good enough for government work". And ...."better late than never".....oh, wait, that is ugma na Lang. Sorry, wrong country.

Jack_be_nimble

Appreciate all the suggestions. I have a follow up question;  these 'free' services, where to the phone numbers come from? The number you pick - is it really yours exclusively?

I use to have a phone number assigned by Verizon, but I cancelled that contract years ago. I'm guessing that number got re-assigned to someone else by now.

This virtual phone number stuff is new to me.

Salty Dog

ss.JPG

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

I have has the same google voice number since 2007. When it was grand central. What I love is that it rings all, one or none of my phones. I can also block or screen some or all numbers. I give this one number out to entities that need my number. Google voice has been my go to and works awesome.

delancey

The SSA verbiage makes it seem as if the only way to get a text is via a cell phone.

• Like 1

Jawny

The SSA verbiage makes it seem as if the only way to get a text is via a cell phone.

I'm pretty sure this is "the tail wagging the dog". The concept is to get a second method to verify you are who you are. That's the concept, but the people executing the process are programmers. Meaning, they will design the system to require a ten digit number. As well, the ten digits have to match a set applicable only to USA phones.

I had a similar experience with a government account with a single letter, followed by seven digits. That was like X1234567. However, for the number of my account to work, I had to add two letters in front and one digit, a zero, at the end. Otherwise it wouldn't "fit". Never mind it wasn't my account number. It fits this way. ABX12345670

Mikala

I seem to remember that one of the Skype type services allowed you to nominate a number from whatever country you chose.

You could make a call from the Philippines to the USA for instance and the receiver thought you were in the USA too.

Perhaps someone can update this?

KonC

It's still available Kenny. I pay for a USA Skype phone number every year to have a Hawaii phone number. Works great!

Vaper

That's how you receive the login code via text. It sucks, I was going to sign up for SS this month, now I might have to make a trip to Manila or hope an outreach comes soon to Cebu.