Finacial Situtation

USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

These bonds were sold as no investment grade. So it is just other countries of Asia keeping the Philippine Government afloat.

On Thursday, Moody's Investors Service, also an international ratings agency, assigned a B1 rating with a "positive" outlook on the Philippines' ten-year bond.

Unless my class on economics was off B1 rating means highly speculative. Thus meaning "highly speculative."

How can a article in the same paper state that government is doing good through the financial crisis and will be immune to the global slow down then publish this article. The bonds that were sold will help ease debt for the first half of 2009. Someone said it in another post they will just borrow more to keep the economy afloat. Companies from Texas Instruments, Energizer, Fed ex, and the largest exporter of furniture are laying off or closing doors.

(Updated) MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines ten-year bonds sold to international investors on Thursday morning were considered speculative investments by Fitch Ratings. This was announced one day after Margarito B. Teves, the country
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Effervescent

• USMC-Retired

• GoneAsiatic

• ckfm

These bonds were sold as no investment grade. So it is just other countries of Asia keeping the Philippine Government afloat.

Unless my class on economics was off B1 rating means highly speculative. Thus meaning "highly speculative."

How can a article in the same paper state that government is doing good through the financial crisis and will be immune to the global slow down then publish this article. The bonds that were sold will help ease debt for the first half of 2009. Someone said it in another post they will just borrow more to keep the economy afloat. Companies from Texas Instruments, Energizer, Fed ex, and the largest exporter of furniture are laying off or closing doors.

Moody's had AAA backing of Mortgage Backed Securities. Nice.

PI is highly speculative, but it has huge assets in the wings. Tourism, a culture of remittance and diaspora, and critically in the next two decades, virgin development of natural resources. One of the biggest known gold deposits in existence is on Mindanao - but the project folded.

I wonder if the PI will morph into the next Asian Tiger. It's at a low IMO.

AND, Moderators....

what is with this spam from Bob Martin on Davao?

twostrokes
AND, Moderators....

what is with this spam from Bob Martin on Davao?

My exact thoughts.....but since I see the google logo there also, I figure it is a money generating for Paul to help keep this thing afloat...

Jim

Alan S
My exact thoughts.....but since I see the google logo there also, I figure it is a money generating for Paul to help keep this thing afloat...

Jim

I assume the same thing.

I can only warn everybody again, that best is not to trust any of the so called experts or media over the next 5 to 10 years period. It is all manipulated in order to keep things afloat. We will be drifting into a huge economical crises with countries like the US of A going bankrupt and I don't have to tell everybody what it means to the piglets when the mother pig dies.

I can only warn everybody again, that best is not to trust any of the so called experts or media over the next 5 to 10 years period. It is all manipulated in order to keep things afloat. We will be drifting into a huge economical crises with countries like the US of A going bankrupt and I don't have to tell everybody what it means to the piglets when the mother pig dies.

When hungry, pigs eat their own faeces. B) :D

• 5 weeks later...
Effervescent

Absolutely agree. I think you're perhaps one of the few that even has a clue as to what awaits most of us. 598,000 jobs lost in January alone in the US. There will soon not even be the possibility of paying the debt that is owed, and as soon as the US defaults on anything it spells the crash of the US dollar. This will be devastating to expats and non-expats alike.

USMC-Retired
Absolutely agree. I think you're perhaps one of the few that even has a clue as to what awaits most of us. 598,000 jobs lost in January alone in the US. There will soon not even be the possibility of paying the debt that is owed, and as soon as the US defaults on anything it spells the crash of the US dollar. This will be devastating to expats and non-expats alike.

If the dollar ever crashes that would mean global failure. The great consumer will no longer consume. So where will the goods be sold? What is the emerging market to sell goods on the scale that the US buys? So the US dollar though in bad shape the world can not afford for the great consumer to stop consuming. It will be propped up as long as the world relies on the dollar.

There will soon not even be the possibility of paying the debt that is owed, and as soon as the US defaults on anything it spells the crash of the US dollar.

It's my belief that the time is right for the US Dollar to be replaced as the international trading currency and be replaced with one that's more stable, such as the Japanese Yen or Swiss Franc. It is my understanding that OPEC has been considering such a move for quite some time.

Mark

Effervescent
If the dollar ever crashes that would mean global failure. The great consumer will no longer consume. So where will the goods be sold? What is the emerging market to sell goods on the scale that the US buys? So the US dollar though in bad shape the world can not afford for the great consumer to stop consuming. It will be propped up as long as the world relies on the dollar.

We are in global failure now, just many would tell you otherwise I think. The countries, and therefore their currencies, that will survive the global failure are those that are without debt. The US debt is like a ball and chain that it must always drag around, and pay for. No matter how hard everyone is hit from the global recession the countries carrying large debts will always be the first to default. Every country must pay its bills, but a debt laden country must pay all of its bills, plus its debt interest. Even having payed that interest, it is still has not reduced its debt. Money is just paper and ink (not even that now) and the only thing that gives it value is our belief that it will be worth something more than just paper. If this global depression gets to the state where countries and currencies are brought into doubt, than it is without a doubt that those seeking to protect their wealth will invest in debt free countries. I think it is appropriate to compare countries to businesses in this sense. No one would choose to invest in a business that is laden with debt compared to one that is not, especially when they are witnessing so many going under.

USMC-Retired
It's my belief that the time is right for the US Dollar to be replaced as the international trading currency and be replaced with one that's more stable, such as the Japanese Yen or Swiss Franc. It is my understanding that OPEC has been considering such a move for quite some time.

Mark

The Swiss Franc could never support the globalization of the money. There is more to it then that. The US will not buy Swiss Franc to trade goods nor the Yen. The US being the biggest consumer will by default allow it to be the global currency. The only currency to rival the dollar is the Euro. The Euro is in no position by today market to take advantage. Thus you must have a market to emerge that will consume products to make it dominate on the globe. The US says you will take our dollar or go sell your goods somewhere else. There is no where else to sell so they are forced to take the dollar.

So unless their is a swing in who buys what and how much then the dollar will stay the norm.

Mark

Mark, that could spark a debate that would break every rule on the forum. LOL The real issue is petro dollars/yen/franks/euros

GoneAsiatic

Mark

It certainly could happen. The driving force for change within OPEC has been Iran and Chavez. No mystery there. Saudi Arabia is staunchly against it, and guess who carries the most weight?

If all EU member countries were to adopt the Euro, it might have a better chance. Europe's economy still seems to be dependent on America

Mark, that could spark a debate that would break every rule on the forum. LOL

I shall try hard not to chuck too many incendiaries! ;)

The real issue is petro dollars/yen/franks/euros

You've hit the nail on the head. My belief is that all basic commodities - not finished goods - should henceforth be priced and traded in a currency other than the USD. This might reduce the pressure on the Dollar as well as giving all countries a more stable trading platform. There is a precedent for this: for a long time in the last Century, international airfares and air/sea freight rates (along with other transport-related rates) were calculated in Gold Francs, a internationally-recognised pseudo-currency whose value was tied to the Swiss Franc.

Mark