sugbu777

http://www.floridalegionpost13.org/p13goldstarhistory.html

Skywalker, Gold and Blue Star Banner history on this link.

As an Englishman, I'd also never heard the phrase before.  This must be a US custom, since I am not aware of such a thing in the UK.

It is a U.S. thing. Edited by sugbu777
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Sonny

• sugbu777

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Son, it's time you quit arguing with me and listen to the wisdom of experience.    

During WWll, they were one of the most visible manifestations of the war effort.  Every household that had a man in the service displayed a small flag hung with gold cord in a window facing the street

My great-grandmother had a gold star banner hanging in her house window from WWI. Her son was killed and is buried in France. Some time in the early 1930's there was a ship (SS Republic) destined to F

sugbu777

In the 60's and early 70's  Blue and gold star flags were very common and everyone knew why they repersented

Correction: mom had two Blue Star flags at same time not Gold - brother and I

My mom had one in the early 70's Blue Star banner with 2 stars. My Dad and I.

lamoe

My mom had one in the early 70's Blue Star banner with 2 stars. My Dad and I.

It is a shame that is another tradition lost to pc / pro thinking

sugbu777

It is a shame that is another tradition lost to pc / pro thinking

The Blue and Gold Star banners are still used extensively here in Guam.

cvgtpc1

Wow...I did 10 years in the AF and never heard of this till the Muslim father thing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lamoe

Wow...I did 10 years in the AF and never heard of this till the Muslim father thing.

different times / different America

SkyMan

During my previous marriage we had a blue star in the window when our SonIL was in Iraq and at times when my X was deployed.  I'm sure my grandmother had a star for my dad the entire war but that's gone.

The most famous case was 5- gold star mother Alleta Sullivan.

Edited by SkyMan
lamoe

During my previous marriage we had a blue star in the window when our SonIL was in Iraq and at times when my X was deployed.  I'm sure my grandmother had a star for my dad the entire war but that's gone.

The most famous case was 5- gold star mother Alleta Sullivan.

That prompted the Sullivan Act  which precluded brothers from serving on same ship  or unit I beleive

I received my orders for Nam right after brother returned - not sure if coincidence  

• Administrator
Salty Dog

That's okay. He probably hadn't heard of it either. I didn't watch his speech, but did he actually use the term during his speech...

• Like 1
Pittsburgh

I believe that Saving Private Ryan was based on the Sullivan's having all the brothers serving at the same time (in a combat area).......  If I recall correctly in the scene where they come to deliver the death notifications to Ryan's mom you can see the stars in the window of the front porch.

Whenever you are at Pearl Harbor and read the names on the Arizona memorial there are quite a few siblings and even father & son combinations that died on the Arizona that day.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

My parents flew the Blue star the whole time I was in Iraq.  

• Like 2
colemanlee

My brother served the same time as I did in both Vietnam and Desert Storm...In Vietnam we were both enlisted, In Desert Storm He was Army Pilot, I was a Marine Pilot..strange how things work out   ......and our parents flew the blue star flag..

Kabisay-an gid

gettyimages-584799946.jpg?quality=65&str

The Khan's are a "Gold Star" family!:

0310_WVislamhearings.jpg

Lots of good info on Breitbart .com about Khizr Khan. The guy is bad news. Should've been deported years ago.

• Like 3
Jester

During WWll, they were one of the most visible manifestations of the war effort.  Every household that had a man in the service displayed a small flag hung with gold cord in a window facing the street.  The ones with a blue star (or stars) meant their men were alive.  A gold star meant unfortunately, theirs had died in service .  I still remember the names of the families who had gold stars in our neighborhood after all these years.  I remember being with my playmate when his older brother came to fetch him and inform him his dad had been killed on Iwo Jima.  Soon, they too had their own gold star.   Mom kept dad's little flag and I would see it now and then when we were looking at old photos.  Don't know what happened to it after she died.

It may not be polite to ask a gentleman his age, but how old are you?   Jester

Sonny

It may not be polite to ask a gentleman his age, but how old are you?   Jester

Seventy-seven years, four months, twenty-five days______10 hours and twenty-two minutes.   Oops, twenty-three minutes.  Oops___

Edited by Sonny
  • Like 2