Review of air-pollution masks

has been almost a year since I bought masks from all 3 brands. Here is my own non-professional review:

--

Respro from UK

FkGKrw2.jpg

price: ★★

fit: ★★★ to ★★★★★

comfort: ★★

durability: ★★★★

bought this one first, too large to fit the chin and a small-sized replacement they sent me for free was too small. Got a new one two months ago and has been wearing it since. Material is strong and fitting is good on the nose but not the chin - depends on the model and hardness of filter; size doesn't matter unfortunately. As can be seen from the photo its chin area can't be sealed tightly.

but the fitting rate is still the best of all 3 and it could block BBQ or cigar smoke right in front of you if the gap under chin is closed. Very uncomfortable to wear in Philippines due to the heat and heavy sweating, and filters have to be replaced early due to sweat/dirt, because it contacts the skin directly.

a full mask is above $60, filter is around $15 each and could last 2 months (actually much longer if not due to the sweat)

--

Totobobo from Singapore

0m4SGqT.jpg

price: ★★★★

fit: ★★ to ★★★

comfort: ★★★★

durability: ★★

had been wearing this for many months. It's clearly designed for the awful SE asian temperature and maximum comfort, no contact between the filter and skin and the sweat could actually help sealing the gaps.

the fitting overall is not as good, however. They have a tutorial for customizing in order to achieve maximum fitness, but I haven't succeeded (seriously who would do experiments on such expensive things??) Durability is a serious problem here: the mask became hopelessly sticky after half a year, and the strap broke before that. The strap also feel very weak so I'm afraid to make it tight - which is required for 100% sealing when you walk fast and / or breath heavily.

a full mask is about $30, the small filter is $3 each and could last 1-2 weeks. They also give a lot of free filter packs.

--

Vogmask from USA

mUluwzk.jpg

price: ★★★★

fit: ★★

comfort: ★★★

durability: unknown, should be better than Totobobo's

gave up due to the disgusting plastic smell. I put it in front of my air filter for 3 days to blow off the smell by clean air, but it still persisted. It's finally wore off after ONE YEAR resting in the cabinet and I may start testing it now.

Only wore it once or twice last year. It's sealed by earloop so no good sealing you can expect from this.

--

Filtering capabilities are all sound, but fitting / sealing is problematic and so far there is no 100% fitting - adjusting mask in front of mirror and standing statically for test doesn't count, as on the miserable conditions in Philippines you have to walk fast, breath heavily and sweat heavily and you ought to take off and on again for rest / water.

All of them can be shipped overseas very cheaply by airmail. No expensive shipping fee by UPS or the likes (don't order them on amazon!). Services by both of Respro and Totobobo have been very good so far, offering free replacements and compensations for my own mistakes.

I haven't tried 3M. still trying to find a good supplier as the only available choice now is Amazon and their shipping fee is higher than the mask itself! If someone is wearing it please help add some review.

Edited by aqd
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rep1

• Paul

• spydoo

• Jawny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't take this the wrong way. But, you should go home and live in your parents' basement / attic / spare room / guest cottage.

When I first got to Lapu Lapu, their was a Asian looking man who fast walked thru the market, he had a rubber half face mask that had 4 filters (to reduce resistance) no idea where he got it, maybe Ja

Posted Images

there is a chinese brand but all listed in the link are not. can't trust theirs or ours anyway. RZ looks like a viable alternative to Respro but same design, probably same fitting problem. Will try 3M as soon as the HK shop replies.

How come nobody else wear masks here?

thebob

Does it really bother you that much?

just found it odd... air is clearly unbreathable in the city and many riders wear mask (useless though) but I noticed neither Koreans nor Americans seem to be bothered by it.

spydoo

...How come nobody else wear masks here?

You tell us you've figured out they're uncomfortable and don't fit well and then ask why we don't wear them?

We figured it out without having to spend our money.

Jawny

there is a chinese brand but all listed in the link are not. can't trust theirs or ours anyway. RZ looks like a viable alternative to Respro but same design, probably same fitting problem. Will try 3M as soon as the HK shop replies.How come nobody else wear masks here?

I doubt any of the masks you showed are effective for eliminating gaseous pollutants. Dust, yes. But to get full protection, you'd need to use a canister type respirator. All you are probably getting is less dusty bit of air.

RogerDuMond

I don't spend enough time in the city to worry about it and when I have to be in the city, I am usually in a car or in a building. Out here in the province there is no air pollution.

Nangulo

I see lots of people holding handkerchiefs to their faces.  Does that count?

I doubt any of the masks you showed are effective for eliminating gaseous pollutants. Dust, yes. But to get full protection, you'd need to use a canister type respirator. All you are probably getting is less dusty bit of air.

this?

3.jpg

If they have a compact version I'll get one immediately!

Jawny

Yes, that is one style of a respirator that will provide you protection from many (not all) of the pollutants you will encounter.

If you are determined to buy and wear a mask like the ones you showed, then just get one that is comfortable. They will make you feel better and give you a nice macho appearance.

Paul

Why would they need to?

The only time I ever covered my face was when traveling long distances on motorbikes.

Yes, that is one style of a respirator that will provide you protection from many (not all) of the pollutants you will encounter.

Thanks! I'm searching for the industrial respirators now. The disposable ones look like 3M's so not a big deal for carrying.

EDIT: turns out we have sellers of industrial 3M respirators in Taiwan! P95 should be good enough?

Edited by aqd
Paul

Don't take this the wrong way. But, you should go home and live in your parents' basement / attic / spare room / guest cottage.

• Like 3
spydoo

Thanks! I'm searching for the industrial respirators now. The disposable ones look like 3M's so not a big deal for carrying.

I've used the 3M disposable ones for work. They're a poor fit, at least for me, and really don't filter out all the dust. To the extent they do filter the air they are hard to breathe through.