Paddy

While in Masbate earlier this year I heard someone refer to velcro as "magic tape" - so here's a story about magic bulbs. AKA rechargeable LED bulbs.

LED bulb technology is getting there. For a few pesos - OK, a hundred or so - you can get bulbs equivalent to the old 40W, 60W and 100W incandescents that use 6W or less. The LED bulbs are also supposed to last much longer. 

However, the ones that caught our eye recently are rechargeable security lights. There is a Lithium Ion battery built into the bulb (somehow) and some very clever circuitry. So, when the light switch is off, the bulb is off. When the switch is on, the bulb is on - even if the power fails. The ones we bought come with a small hooked bulb socket so you can move the thing around during a brownout if you want to (it won't work if the bulb is not screwed into a bulb socket of some description. Full charge is supposed to last about 5 hours.

We installed them in our wall and exterior lights and also put a couple of them around the house inside.

Yesterday there was a brownout. Villagers passing by were heard to say (in Visaya of course) "how come they have power? Their generator is not running".

It will be interesting to see how long they last a) as a security light for brownouts and b) just as a light bulb. These run about 200 or so pesos apiece.

post-15276-0-44860900-1469668187_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paddy

• Woolf

• thebob

• Lee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As usual I spend a fortune setting up emergency light system, and the next week they market a 4 dollar solution!

I gave up on wireless mice, just because of that problem   I had 3 to 4 wireless  that developed that problem   now I only use wired 

No, I am suggesting that stores in first world countries do not stock bulbs like that because there is little call for them.

Posted Images

RogerDat

As usual I spend a fortune setting up emergency light system, and the next week they market a 4 dollar solution!

• Like 3
Paul

In your case, you could add a voltage inverter, to run ac appliances as well.

AussieLex

I bought one of these at the local hardware for 180 pesos and put it in the kitchen in case of a brownout while we are cooking... they don't produce quite as much light on their internal battery as they do when the power is switched on but they do last for several hours ...if you turn the lights off they switch to their internal battery so not good to have in the bedroom ... 

RogerDat

That is in response to the base size, and 12 VDC, not the internal powered ones here.

Also, that was way back in April, I have had several crashes since then, and takes me time to find old info.

Edited by RogerDat
shadow

.if you turn the lights off they switch to their internal battery so not good to have in the bedroom ... 

I think that will depend on the brand/type, some of these things are pretty advanced.

There is another thread about them here;

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/93529-has-anyone-tried-these-rechargeable-emergency-led-lights/

Edited by shadow
KennyF

.if you turn the lights off they switch to their internal battery so not good to have in the bedroom ...

Are you saying that they're on 24 hours?

Part of the day on 220v and part on internal battery?

KonC

Woolf

I wonder how long it takes them to fully charge

light must be on for them to charge

Paddy

I wonder how long it takes them to fully charge

light must be on for them to charge

They seem to work pretty much right out of the box although I am sure a couple of longish brownouts in quick succession might be a problem. 

Paddy

Are you saying that they're on 24 hours?

Part of the day on 220v and part on internal battery?

KonC

No - when the light switch is off, or when they are not screwed in to a bulb socket, they're off.

Edit - now, when the light switch is off and there is a brown out, I don't know. It has never been that easy to get my partner to cover ALL logical scenarios! :)

Edited by Paddy
AussieLex

I have two lights in the kitchen ..one of those is this emergency light... my kitchen is kinda dark so the lights are on most of the day...if I turn the light switch off the emergency one goes onto internal power like when we go to bed at 11 or 12 at night...by 7am its a dull glow... ...I basically got it so if there is a brown out while we are cooking we can still see what we are doing ..we cook on gas.  The ceiling is pretty low and i can reach up and give it a turn so it doesn't stay on ... maybe its a cheap brand or something but its okay for what we wanted it for ...

• Like 1
Woolf

You have 2 light bulbs on the same light switch ?

try unscrew the none magic one

then turn off the switch

I think that the magic bulb will turn off

bounder

So where did you purchase these at? 

JamesMusslewhite

The one we have has proven itself to be useful and dependable here on this little island as we have had almost a dozen brownouts in the eight weeks we have been here. A couple of brownouts have been for two days or more and between two flashlights and a magic bulb we have done alright. I hope whoever invented it gets filthy stinking rich... :biggrin_01: