Sign in to follow this  
RogerDat

LED security, and night light with battery back up completed

RogerDat

I see your point after sleeping on it, you mean in case explosive gas is present right? I have forced air vent t outside installed on sealed box.

• Like 1

Mikala

I already figured you took care of the hydrogen off gassing Roger. You ain't no dummy!

Just always a safety factor to dislodge plugs under load. Arcing will damage the plug / wall socket. If battery charge is complete though, then there should be very little load.

Woolf

The charger is 12 v 30 amp  about 360 watt

on the 220 volt side that should be about 1.6 amps

lets say 2 amp max with losses

as the charger is not a inductive load

I cant see that there would be at lot of arcing when disconnecting

connecting the charger, there may be some arcing,

charging the capacitor, could draw some high current

ok I think that the charger has an invertor type power supply

Paul

My view is this. Could something happen? As sure as Murphy (Murphy's Law) is alive and well - forever, it could. Is there much of a chance, under the circumstances that it WOULD actually happen? I doubt it. But, that isn't the issue, in my mind at least.

The issue to me is, safety, pure and simple. 

Last year, while I was away, I had a battery to explode. Til this day, we do not know what caused it. I suspect it shorted inside. My girlfriend was cleaning nearby when it happened. Fortunately, and Thank God, nothing happened to her - aside from her filling her britches. From that point forward, I have exercised even more safety precautions concerning batteries, than I have ever before. 

In this case, it is an AC breaker that is between a battery bank and an inverter. Simply put, I would not install ANY breaker there, aside from one rated for DC. These breakers are like $9.00 USD or $10.00 USD each. What is worth your safety, or the safety of your family? For just a few bucks, you can protect them. 

As a side note, I have experienced fuse failures. So, double protection isn't such a bad idea either. 

Oz Jon

.......The issue to me is, safety, pure and simple. Last year, while I was away, I had a battery to explode. Til this day, we do not know what caused it.........

Exactly the point I have been trying to make Paul.

Batteries (particularly big ones like the 200AH one here) store a lot of energy and can deliver it very fast.

If there is an accidental short-circuit somewhere on the load side it can pull a huge current from the battery, cause a lot of heating, fire  and even explode the battery.

That's the part of the circuit which most needs to be protected.

Easily fixed at low cost with appropriate sized fuses (about 10A - 20A in this case) close to the battery, between the battery and the load.

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 3

RogerDat

I finely got a tester, but every chart is different. As I read it, it is as follows on the Gage in green area.

Here is a video of the very tester I have. it appears I am in the golf cart battery area, which is what I have.

Am I right on this?

_____

1300 + 2 clicks

_____

_____

at 30 degrees C.

Paul

What tester do you have?

Specific gravity?

You should have a chart from the manufacturer, for your specific battery. The SG can change a bit from battery to battery, if this is what you are talking about - charge?

RogerDat

Yes, SG. I will call the distributor  tomorrow. I found the very item I bought, mine said instructions on back, but when got home, it was blank of course.

It is at 1300 + 2 clicks, so I read that as 1340.  13.25 VDC.

post-7667-0-17438400-1481797693_thumb.png

post-7667-0-54870200-1481798444_thumb.png

Woolf

the video youtube