Cost of living

One can surely understand why filipinas want foreigners as mates. My fiance works for Sykes there, she grosses 15000\mo. Net pay is just 13000. Her room rent that she shares is 3000 and with utilities being shared, a total of 1000+. She is not a real spender and spends around 200-300 peso per meal in a day, usually 2-3 meals x7 days etc. Of course, sending 2500-3000 to parents every two weeks acerbates the whole issue. She will sacrifice in order to send money to them, which I get to a point, but still, she needs to survive. I do help out and have come to the conclusion that an average person there needs to earn 20000 peso a month, which is not much in USD for a month. What I earn in a day, she earns in 1.5 weeks! And Sykes is one of the better companies with higher wages, LOL, OMG!

• Like 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheWhiteKnight

• mikewright

• Paul

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I usually get along very good here, but honestly one of the things to surely piss me off is when I hear OFW's are the heros of the Philippines as they send so much in remittances back to home....what

I met a young girl at the store the other night...going to college, taking journalism, spoke English fluently, obviously very intelligent, quite good looking...during the conversation she said she wan

I know a great many filipinos working here in Davao . None of them pay  3000 a month rent [ they usually share and spend 1500-2000 each ]. None of them pays 1000+ for utitlities  [ their utilities ave

USMC-Retired

One can surely understand why filipinas want foreigners as mates. My fiance works for Sykes there, she grosses 15000mo. Net pay is just 13000. Her room rent that she shares is 3000 and with utilities being shared, a total of 1000+. She is not a real spender and spends around 200-300 peso per meal in a day, usually 2-3 meals x7 days etc. Of course, sending 2500-3000 to parents every two weeks acerbates the whole issue. She will sacrifice in order to send money to them, which I get to a point, but still, she needs to survive. I do help out and have come to the conclusion that an average person there needs to earn 20000 peso a month, which is not much in USD for a month. What I earn in a day, she earns in 1.5 weeks! And Sykes is one of the better companies with higher wages, LOL, OMG!

Not sure the point here. Is it to highlight that all people in poverty would want to date/marry a person of means. Simple because they do not have the means? If so it is nonsense.

• Like 2

That is the number one reason Filipina's marry a foreigner,,,,,to have a chance at a better life for herself and her family....It's ridiculous what wages are there.  

• Like 3
ex231

To put it in perspective I think she's paying about the same for housing  percentage wise as many people in the US. imo she could eat much cheaper than she is. She's sending more on food than my wife and I did and we weren't even trying to budget. 

13000 net income

3000 rent

1000 utilities

12000 60 meals @ 200p

plus 5k - 6k per month to the parents? The math isn't adding up.

Edited by ex231
  • Like 1

she could help herself by not sending so much money to her parents, just the basic rate. If they want to live comfortably they better be smarter and find better works than using their daughter as cash cow, probably in next life.

• Like 3
michael_retired

One can surely understand why filipinas want foreigners as mates. My fiance works for Sykes there, she grosses 15000\mo. Net pay is just 13000. Her room rent that she shares is 3000 and with utilities being shared, a total of 1000+. She is not a real spender and spends around 200-300 peso per meal in a day, usually 2-3 meals x7 days etc. Of course, sending 2500-3000 to parents every two weeks acerbates the whole issue. She will sacrifice in order to send money to them, which I get to a point, but still, she needs to survive. I do help out and have come to the conclusion that an average person there needs to earn 20000 peso a month, which is not much in USD for a month. What I earn in a day, she earns in 1.5 weeks! And Sykes is one of the better companies with higher wages, LOL, OMG!

P200-300 per meal is a lot. Most spend p60-90. And rent is usually p1500 if they live in a boarding house like most filipinos.

I have 2 young SILs who work and these figures are what they told me but of course your girl could be different.

• Like 2
SumDumJoe

what better way, instead of working, to live a great life...have kids, educate them, send them off to camel land to be slaves so you can eat and drink to your hearts content...      

I call it the Filipino OFW(k) plan. Lowest cost retirement plan in the world. Bang out a bunch of kids. Spend 20 years telling them, with reinforcement from the church, that their number one job is to care for and honor you. Then sell them off to the highest bidder, sit back and collect your rewards. 

• Like 4
michael_retired

That is the number one reason Filipina's marry a foreigner,,,,,to have a chance at a better life for herself and her family....It's ridiculous what wages are there.

Few people want to live in poverty, I know i dont so you cant blame anyone who wants to marry a wealthier person in order to have a better life. I know some Filipinas with a working bf who have only 1 meal per day.

And wages, I would think it's determined by supply and demand. There are hundreds who want to work for every one job available Im guessing.

Tough country to live in and literally survive for sure.

• Like 2
Paul

One can surely understand why filipinas want foreigners as mates.

I have known many Filipinos who have more money than I will ever see in my life.

And, it would be a pretty fecking sad relationship, if that were the primary reason she were with me.

• Like 4
michael_retired

I call it the Filipino OFW(k) plan. Lowest cost retirement plan in the world. Bang out a bunch of kids. Spend 20 years telling them, with reinforcement from the church, that their number one job is to care for and honor you. Then sell them off to the highest bidder, sit back and collect your rewards.

Many will say your post is harsh and insensitive but honestly I think you hit the nail on the head.

I've seen it dozens of times from both my inlaws and friends here in the land of smiles. The focus of the family is exactly that : educate the kid's, let them work overseas and send money back home.

It's a cycle that will continue until the RP decides to become a 1st world country

Paul

I've seen it dozens of times from both my inlaws and friends here in the land of smiles. The focus of the family is exactly that : educate the kid's, let them work overseas and send money back home.

I am glad relationships I have been in never involved family members like that.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey

Hey Perrya,

It sounds like your girl is accustomed to the finer things. As Michael has said, most live on less and especially less sending home to the family. When you get here you may find the family looks to you as an ATM machine. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I brushed it off before I experianced it first hand.

3000 a month better be a really nice place or she is being ripped off.

• Like 1