Sign in to follow this  
Garrett

Stocking up

Resident
Is dry ice available or mylar packets?

Those are good for long-term food storage... say of rice.

lol. never heard that one before. but if you got a sack of rice, you should make sure there are no ants or mice around.

aka

Yeah no need for dry ice on rice.White rice really has an indefinite shelf life if stored correctly. Brown rice on the other hand has a higher oil content and will spoil unless refridgerated for long term storage. So i guess dry ice could possibly be used for brown rice

Resident
Yeah no need for dry ice on rice.White rice really has an indefinite shelf life if stored correctly. Brown rice on the other hand has a higher oil content and will spoil unless refridgerated for long term storage. So i guess dry ice could possibly be used for brown rice

Might be possible. But I have yet to meet a Filipino, who prefers brown rice. To be honest, i have not seen brown rice at all here.

happyvalleyjoe

Here in Cebu, in addition to keeping a little extra food and water around the house for emergencies, I also keep an

Resident
Here in Cebu, in addition to keeping a little extra food and water around the house for emergencies, I also keep an

sork

You can store rice in a well-sealed bucket and the dry ice you use to force the oxygen out.

aka
I get your point. But are you registered with the American embassy? That is just a question, I dont even know if the American Embassy offers that service, like the German Embassy.

I think he might mean his bag is for evacuation from his house or immediate area........not evacuation from the country. But........if America is anything like Australia (which im sure it would be) then yes his embassy would evacuate him from here in the case of a major holocaust.

broden
Might be possible. But I have yet to meet a Filipino, who prefers brown rice. To be honest, i have not seen brown rice at all here.

i wouldn't say my wife prefers it but now she buys brown rice about half the time .. she likes it quite a bit

as far as storage .. i've never had the chance to attempt long term rice storage .. it just disappears and we usually get big bags at sams ..

for other food we keep alot of cans and various dry goods we generally buy everything in bulk .. the fridge is always full and i keep two packed freezers in the garage .. no one will ever starve at our house

misty

After experiencing a "flash flood" where drinking water gets compromised, we invested in a water purification system. We had our wells cleaned out, dropped some chlorine and started filtering our drinking water. In a matter of months, it paid for itself and continues to save us some money. :D

tom_shor
I get your point. But are you registered with the American embassy? That is just a question, I dont even know if the American Embassy offers that service, like the German Embassy.

They do and they encourage citizens living in the Philippines to register and leave a copy of their passport. Supposedly makes replacement easier in case of loss.

Garrett

happyvalleyjoe
In your bag, do you keep USD, Pesos or both? The bag sounds like a "bugout bag" that I have read about, (minus the guns).

I usually keep it stuffed with $50,000 in 100-dollar bills, in the cupboard right above the kitchen sink. I’ll be over at Ayala Mall this afternoon until about 5pm if you wanna come over and look for it while I’m gone.

Edited by happyvalleyjoe

Tatoosh

Heh heh, you didn't mention that they were all worn out torn bills that no one will touch here, did you HappyVJ? Bad boy!

Garrett
I usually keep it stuffed with $50,000 in 100-dollar bills, in the cupboard right above the kitchen sink. I

smokey
In your bag, do you keep USD, Pesos or both? The bag sounds like a "bugout bag" that I have read about, (minus the guns).

on the other side we don't have a bug out bag but the wife does have 4 extra clips for her Licensed 45 we plan on slugging it out..