Sign in to follow this  
Garrett

Stocking up

Garrett

I was wondering how many people here, keep a a good amount of supplies on hand. Since I live here in "Tornado Alley" I tend to keep several cases of water on hand, candles, oil lamps, etc... I know that living here in the states, many people don't keep some supplies on hand. What kind of things do you keep on hand?

Garrett

Tatoosh

Drinking water and cooking gas. I keep 10 bottles of the first even though we only use one week or so. Gas lasts a couple of months or more, but seems to run out on a holiday or car coded day, so I keep one spare. Handy if something happened and we couldn't get to a heating source for a while. I have a gas oven so electricty is not necessary.

Most everything food wise I think I can't get here shows up at one point or another, but not with any regularity. Just often enough to make me feel foolish for having something shipped here.

USMC-Retired

Candles are so vital. Brown outs and black outs are common. Also we keep 15 Gallons of drinking water and 5 gallons of tap water for the toilet. Other then that we just wing it. I am never short on the can goods so I do not need to stock up.

Tim

Drinking water and cooking gas. I keep 10 bottles of the first even though we only use one week or so. Gas lasts a couple of months or more, but seems to run out on a holiday or car coded day, so I keep one spare. Handy if something happened and we couldn't get to a heating source for a while. I have a gas oven so electricty is not necessary.

Most everything food wise I think I can't get here shows up at one point or another, but not with any regularity. Just often enough to make me feel foolish for having something shipped here.

Resident
I was wondering how many people here, keep a a good amount of supplies on hand. Since I live here in "Tornado Alley" I tend to keep several cases of water on hand, candles, oil lamps, etc... I know that living here in the states, many people don't keep some supplies on hand. What kind of things do you keep on hand?

Garrett

As most products are readily available here in Cebu city, i just have a couple of candles on hand ( longest brown out 2 hours). Otherwise I stock items which are hard to get, like mustard, good cheese and inexpensive European ham.

If you are thinking of moving here, there are no worries, Cebu is normally not affected by taifuns or any other disaster.

Tatoosh

Hmm, no typhoons and brownouts are only 2 hours long. This must be a different part of Cebu than I visited. When I was hanging out in Mactan, we had a brownout for ten hours or so. Typhoons show up, not as often as here in Luzon, but they aren't unheard of. High winds kept the ferries from running over to Bantayan Island (other side of Cebu from Mactan) just this weekend. Maybe not a full blown typhoon, but enough of a storm to keep the boats tied up.

I keep both electric and kerosene lamps for brown outs. Electric are fine for short term brown outs and the kerosene are called on if we get a longer one. To be honest, I rather like it when the place is lit by firelight and I am reading by a candle or two. I have thought about adding a generator, but all we would do is use it to watch dvd's while the winds howl outside.

But to the point, Cebu, while more stable than Luzon, "maybe" is not brownout proof. I would figure on keeping at least a couple of emergency type lights and one kerosene lantern. In the case of a real emergency (like a hurricane or twister in the states) extra water and heat for cooking/boiling water are excellent starters. Canned food, some of it rather expensive here, is a worthwhile back up if you couldn't get to regular food supplies for a period of time.

Bob Ward

The best things to stock up on are things you find occasionally that might be sold out soon. Good mustard, salsa, can goods at good prices, certain sauces and mixes, personal hygiene products that you like and other things like that.

Brownouts in Cebu have become considerably shorter in the last 2 years. If there is a storm of any significance headed our way, I will get the supplies easily because the locals do not get in a frenzy like in the west. It's just more laid back here!

smokey

Oh to be prepared? Well for me I talked myself into buying a 4x4 and now when it rains and floods I forge thru to my daily trips of roaming the streets ... ( I don

Paul
Brownouts in Cebu have become considerably shorter in the last 2 years. If there is a storm of any significance headed our way, I will get the supplies easily because the locals do not get in a frenzy like in the west. It's just more laid back here!

The last two years? You should have been here in the early 90's! Man, it was every other day, and that is in Cebu City!

Now, over and above everything else, I will always keep a genset (of some reasonable size) around for providing electricity wherever I am at during the storm. They have proven their worth to me over the years.

Garrett

What kind of canned goods do ya'll keep on hand? I see the mention of a canned ham? Do most of you all keep just a few canns of food and mainly eat fresh veggies and fruits? What kind of fuel do you use for your stove, is it propane, butagas or something else? Also, do most of you drink bottled water or tap water to drink and cook with?

Garrett

Edited by Garrett

Bob Ward
What kind of canned goods do ya'll keep on hand? I see the mention of a canned ham? Do most of you all keep just a few canns of food and mainly eat fresh veggies and fruits? What kind of fuel do you use for your stove, is it propane, butagas or something else? Also, do most of you drink bottled water or tap water to drink and cook with?

Garrett

Ok the "ya'll" gives you away to some degree, but then you say "you all" and get all formal on us. LPG is the fuel of choice here, well cause it's the only choice, besides an electric stove which eats $$$. Drink the tap water at your peril because the last water filter (used for cooking only) I replaced was disgusting looking! Any ham you buy here, canned, fresh or whatever will be crappy unless it's imported or made by an expat living in the area.

Garrett
Ok the "ya'll" gives you away to some degree, but then you say "you all" and get all formal on us. LPG is the fuel of choice here, well cause it's the only choice, besides an electric stove which eats $$$. Drink the tap water at your peril because the last water filter (used for cooking only) I replaced was disgusting looking! Any ham you buy here, canned, fresh or whatever will be crappy unless it's imported or made by an expat living in the area.

:) Not meaning to go off topic, but I never realised that my South/Western Accent would translate into my written speech.

Thanks for the information on the water and the ham.

Garrett

Mik

2 weeks supply of liquor (about 5 liters)

Bottled water - 2 big bottles + 1 more in use

LPG - 1 tank + 1 more in use

Gasoline - 10 gallons (I use it for the lawnmower too so eventually it gets replaced with new gas.)

3600w genset

Well with electric pump (If the pump fails I can open a valve and share my neighbor's MCWD. Or if MCWD is out I can share my well water with them.)

Someday I might raise chickens so I can have fresh eggs, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edited by M.Morey

aka

Well here on Mindanao we live in a very sheltered bay out of the typhoon belt but have had a few smallish storms but the power seems to hold on pretty good. In the 12 months i've been here i could count on 1 hand the blackouts ( sorry, just cant call em brownouts...when the lights go out its black ) we've had and some of those were for maintenance. Anyway back OT. We have a sari sari at home so were stocked with a lot of things all the time. Candles and beer are big sellers when the powers out.

mr_whippy

High winds kept the ferries from running over to Bantayan Island (other side of Cebu from Mactan) just this weekend

Friday, I think no boats sailed, but we got one on the Saturday. The early 7.30 one was cancelled, we finally managed to get one that left at 11.30, very rough crossing, a lot of people being sick. I was quite worried as you have every reason to be in the Philippines on ferries in rough seas and I would have waited it out a couple of days if it had been left to me had not my friend needed to get back to the mainland for work.

Bantayan had a brown out on NYE. Only an hour or so at about 9pm, and we were expecting it to last into 2009 really.The whole island obviously went. I was in Santa Fe, I texted Bantayan and Madridejos and they'd both gone at more or less the same time. Bantayan came on first, Santa Fe next, and Madridejos last.

sork

Is dry ice available or mylar packets?

Those are good for long-term food storage... say of rice.