OK What Happened with Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup?

rainymike

rainymike

Bought a pack of Campbell's chicken noodle soup at S&R recently. Tonight was a bit chilly so made some of the soup that I grew up with for the kids to appreciate. But got a major shock when I discovered it wasn't the same old soup from my youth. 

Did I get a bad batch? Did my taste buds change as I got older? Is this some Asian clone? I want answers!!! LOL ... I was so hoping to give the kids a taste of good old soup and sandwich from America. Instead I got a ''dad is really losing it'' look from the kids. 

RogerDat

The key is a "pack". Soup only came in cans when I was young, the powdered ones are OK, but not "homey food"

• Like 2
cebubird

I bought it from S&R all the time, and taste was fine.

rainymike

The key is a "pack". Soup only came in cans when I was young, the powdered ones are OK, but not "homey food"

No, it was a six pack of the same old soup in the can. Tasted very bland to me. And the can said cooked with care in the USA. 

rainymike

Where was it made? I suspect it is made different for different markets.

You might be right about that. Guess I'll have to get used to it like many other products that I've adjusted to. Nah, maybe not. I'll just go back to pinoy made chicken soup with kalamungay leaves.

• Like 2
RogerDat

I see, I have noted a trend in USA food where they are low sodium products / low fat / they are bland, salt and pepper to taste might help. I love tomato and rice with grilled cheese, but am not allowed the whole can like before.

I use regular tomato soup, and add rice, and eat it as opened in a pinch.

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

No, it was a six pack of the same old soup in the can. Tasted very bland to me. And the can said cooked with care in the USA. 

food seeming bland is a symptom of very advanced dementia 

• Like 3
lamoe

I see, I have noted a trend in USA food where they are low sodium products / low fat / they are bland, salt and pepper to taste might help. I love tomato and rice with grilled cheese, but am not allowed the whole can like before.

I use regular tomato soup, and add rice, and eat it as opened in a pinch.

If I remember - I probably won't sorry - I'll check on sodium content on cans here.

Some soups have up to 30% of daily requirement

Nangulo

All of the Chicken Noodle that I've had recently has been salty; more salty than I care for.  The Cream of Chicken is OK, as is the Tomato, but I gave up on the Chicken Noodle.

cvgtpc1

Instead I got a ''dad is really losing it'' look from the kids.

Same thing happened when I showed mine Knightrider and Airwolf. But even I will admit they're now not as cool as they were when originally broadcast LOL

I love Campbells Chicken Noodle with enough Skyflakes to soak up all the broth.

Sent from my TF700T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

How much water did you add?  I know it says add a can full of water, but I don't add that much water....but I only eat that when I have a cold, so my take buds are probably lacking.

ex231

I've noticed other foods that imo have changed over the years. An example is Dinty Moore beef stew. I used to eat that often in the 70s and I bought some a while back and it was utter crap. More like soup than stew, very little beef and the vegetables looked like culls.

• Like 2
cvgtpc1

How much water did you add? I know it says add a can full of water, but I don't add that much water....but I only eat that when I have a cold, so my take buds are probably lacking.

I use a half can. I also like adding a cup of rice to it sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

I thought Campbell's chicken soup was very bland in the 1960's. Didn't like it then, haven't eaten it since.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1