Statistical Realities - Love and Divorce. How Do You Keep it Together?

rainymike

Was just reading the post about some guy who committed suicide that might have been romance related. Lots of guys are attracted to the Philippines because of its women. Finding a partner is the easy part, but the challenges of maintaining a relationship are many.  

So how do you maintain your relationship? The article below has some stats on divorce for Americans. (LOL ... I clearly belong to several high risk for failure categories). The statistics are pretty sobering with a 40-50% fail rate for typical Americans.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/05/19/15-ways-to-predict-divorce.html

Best I can figure out is that we focus on the kids and the family as the center of our relationship. The kids are both a stress and a strength that help keep things together. There are highs and lows but the kids help keep things centered.

But there are no guarantees in life, so I've also tried to make myself dump proof. If I ever get dumped, I have the means to start anew and leave everything (including the home) behind without a second thought. This includes maintaining support for my biological kid. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• HTM

• to_dave007

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always find it surprising that people seem to believe that children provide some sort of glue to help stabilize a relationship.   If your relationship is struggling, the last thing you should brin

Just found this thread.  Surprised that no-one responded yet..  very surprised..  given the subject.   For myself, with two failed marriages already, and having married a Filipina quite a bit younge

It's the consumer mentality isn't it?   Lack of accountability.  No acceptance of responsibility.  No idea what commitment really means?  Immaturity, in an era that seems to believe that our youth d

to_dave007

Just found this thread.  Surprised that no-one responded yet..  very surprised..  given the subject.

For myself, with two failed marriages already, and having married a Filipina quite a bit younger than myself, I definitely feel that I'm in the statistical sweet spot for failure.

So how do I act to keep it together.  I think the biggest thing by far is that I have decided, in advance, that I am GOING to make this work, PERIOD... end of story !!  No matter what happens..  no matter how pissed I might get..  I remind myself each and every day that I CHOOSE to love this woman.  And that failure is simply not an option.  And surprisingly starting with this as the foundation does make a difference.  It becomes easier to see all the positive, and not dwell only on the negative. 

Perhaps if I had taken this attitude before, I might not have failed twice before.

• Like 7
smokey

Was just reading the post about some guy who committed suicide that might have been romance related. Lots of guys are attracted to the Philippines because of its women. Finding a partner is the easy part, but the challenges of maintaining a relationship are many.  

So how do you maintain your relationship? The article below has some stats on divorce for Americans. (LOL ... I clearly belong to several high risk for failure categories). The statistics are pretty sobering with a 40-50% fail rate for typical Americans.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/05/19/15-ways-to-predict-divorce.html

Best I can figure out is that we focus on the kids and the family as the center of our relationship. The kids are both a stress and a strength that help keep things together. There are highs and lows but the kids help keep things centered.

But there are no guarantees in life, so I've also tried to make myself dump proof. If I ever get dumped, I have the means to start anew and leave everything (including the home) behind without a second thought. This includes maintaining support for my biological kid. 

divorce the nasty usa word .... so what does it mean in a country with no divorce ...  in the usa its not working your grown apart you get a divorce ... here if its not working what are your choices .. if your a foreigner no divorce is possible  so forget sharing its hit the highway suitcase in hand ... now a local well there are mistresses very common and even extra families and you will never be homeless because of domestic problems... reality  is hard                  while a middle class guy in the usa is most likely not going to find a sexy younger women unless he is mega bucks the plus side to the west is at least you get half... chose wise or risk being a old hobo in a foreigner country

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
ricardo123#

I find having a good sense of humor as being the main ingredient.

• Like 1

if your a foreigner no divorce is possible

?

This is not quite correct information, depending on your nationality if you can be granted a divorce in your own country. then you are divorce. This foreign court decision you can then get approved here, and can remarry here or elsewhere if u like.

If you are or converts to Islam, there are also other options her.

• Like 2
bounder

My mate made a determination from the very beginning that I was the man she had been looking for and was not going to give up or let me go.  I am committed to one woman at a time.  She is constantly showing her love and dedication to our relationship.  I could never (nor would I) become unfaithful to someone I had rescued from a life of obscurity and near poverty. 

In reality, I have discovered that we truly complement each other.  There are so many commonalities to which we possess that there are times when I swear we had known each other in a different life....even with her being thirty years younger than me.  Not all relationships are this successful, however I found that finding some commonalities along with being devoted to a life long relationship together makes a marriage last....a lifetime.

• Like 2

reality  is hard                  while a middle class guy in the usa is most likely not going to find a sexy younger women unless he is mega bucks the plus side to the west is at least you get half... chose wise or risk being a old hobo in a foreigner country

a middle class in usa means $100K annually yes??

a middle class in usa means $100K annually yes??

50 % more and 50 % less than the median household income of around $55 to 60K/year before taxes

Sonny

For myself, with two failed marriages already, and having married a Filipina quite a bit younger than myself, I definitely feel that I'm in the statistical sweet spot for failure.

Nah !______Practice makes perfect.  After two fails, you should be able to cull out the beavers and bitches and make an intelligent choice by number three.   I'm in the same statistical spot as you, and Iv'e been married to my Filipina for twenty-seven years.  It only gets better.

Beavers____ :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

50 % more and 50 % less than the median household income of around $55 to 60K/year before taxes

still more than mine... :(

But why do people have to get married officially? Isn't it just government confirmation of love? No marriage no divorce fee!

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Just found this thread. Surprised that no-one responded yet.. very surprised.. given the subject.

Can't speak for everyone, but assume many others like myself, are happily in love and have no interest in divorce or threads on the subject...

Using TapaTalk, so can't use emoticons

• Like 3
Skywalker

I always find it surprising that people seem to believe that children provide some sort of glue to help stabilize a relationship.

If your relationship is struggling, the last thing you should bring to it is children.

• Like 8
to_dave007

Can't speak for everyone, but assume many others like myself, are happily in love and have no interest in divorce or threads on the subject...

Using TapaTalk, so can't use emoticons

Didn't realize this was a thread about divorce.  Thought it was about "How Do You Keep it Together?"

• Like 1
smokey

?

This is not quite correct information, depending on your nationality if you can be granted a divorce in your own country. then you are divorce. This foreign court decision you can then get approved here, and can remarry here or elsewhere if u like.

If you are or converts to Islam, there are also other options her.

well your 65 you come here and marry the women of your dreams who is 20 and works at SM as a promo girl ... you buy a car build a house and a few years go by and you find its not working now what .... do you file and get half or do you pack your bags and hope she LETS you have plane fare  before you say annulment try proving in court your girl from the Philippines in a nut case or anything close to being allowed an annulment

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Didn't realize this was a thread about divorce.  Thought it was about "How Do You Keep it Together?"

You said you were surprised no one had responded to the thread. I was just pointing out why that could have been.

I guess the word Divorce in the title threw me off...

The article that the OP linked to is "15 Ways to Predict Divorce". A list of statistics. Hardly valuable information on how to keep it together.

It appears though, that the OP was asking a question "How Do You Keep it Together" in a separate sentence.

I guess your surprise at the lack of posts, is no more than my surprise at your response to my post... :db:

• Like 1