Any way to get past the 10 day waiting period for a marriage license?

I heard if you go with the IR visa you basically have to be married a few years to squeak by the interview at the embassy maybe I am wrong

No, if your married your married as far as US law is concerned you must prove the marriage is bona fide,  only thing that matters is if less than 2 years of marriage when approved,  you get a conditional visa CR-1, that will expire in 2 years, and you must adjust status to stay in the US permanently and prove again marriage is bona fide. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• baby43

• SkyMan

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You will have to go through the CRBA process no matter which visa you use.   It's time to start delaying the visa process. She must enter the US before her visa expires, the visa is valid for only 6

CFO has no power to stop a visa being issued or preventing one from leaving the Philippines. Their only job is to give a seminar, there is no "pass or no pass" in their control. They try to flex their

The embassy only cares about what the NSO has to say about it. If the NSO says they are married, they are married.

Headshot

Agustin, I hope that after you have read the replies, you will see that it is best to NOT try to rush things in the Philippines. Rushing or doing things out of order here only ends in a ball of wax (lots of extra problems). Wait until the baby is born. Make sure that your name is on the baby's birth certificate as the father (it doesn't prove anything, but it still helps the body of evidence). Expedite getting the baby's birth certificate processed through the NSO (this can be done by walking it through the initial process rather than letting others do it). Once you get the birth certificate, get the baby a Philippine passport (it will need identification for the CRBA application and there aren't many forms of ID available for a baby). If the baby will be baptized, get that done (it gives you another document for the CRBA application).

Apply for the CRBA and US passport at the same time (through the Cebu Consular Office (it will take about a month extra to process, but it will save you time later since you don't have to apply for a passport separately). You may get notified that you need to get DNA tests done once the Embassy in Manila reviews your application package, but that isn't as onerous as doing the whole application process through the embassy). The ONLY place where you can get the DNA tests done is at St. Luke's Hospital in Ermita near the US Embassy. They have a sweetheart deal with the embassy. If, at the point when you get through the process and receive the CRBA and passport, you haven't already run out of time on the fiancee visa application, it is time to get that started (schedule an interview).

If too much time has passed and you have to restart the visa process, you may want to think about getting married first and applying for the spousal visa. The marriage application process takes time, but you don't have to be in the Philippines for the whole process (or for the waiting period). After the wedding, you have to get a certified copy of the marriage certificate before you can apply for a spousal visa. So, there is a lot more work up front if you go the spousal visa route, but once your wife and baby are in the US, it is much simpler. Your wife will quickly get a SSN and a Green Card, and then in two years (when her spousal visa runs out), she will go to USCIS and get the two-year visa shifted to a ten-year visa. It is likely that she will be a US citizen long before the ten-year visa runs out.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

The simple answer to the OP is " yes" .  

• Like 3
SkyMan

The simple answer to the OP is " yes" .  

Yes, but........it would be invalid and probably found out at the visa interview process .  Also, you will forfeit your current fiance visa process including whatever fees already paid and have to start over with a spousal visa.  Then you will still have to do the CRBA and since you weren't married at the time of conception you will likely have to do DNA testing.  The only way you can avoid the CRBA will be if the fiance visa comes through quick enough you can get her to the states before she pops.  The visa will have to come through before her 8th month or she can't fly.  

shadow

Yes, but........it would be invalid 

No, it would not be invalid. If a marriage license is issued and a solemnization performed by someone authorized to do so, the marriage would be valid.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

My fiancee is pregnant, I have filed the fiancée petition paperwork for her but the baby will be born before the fiancee visa process is complete. Having just read Shadow's post about the U.S Embassy not providing enough notice to applicants of the CRBA to actually make it to the appointment, I am considering marrying my fiancee there, sort of like a Vegas style quick wedding, just to not have to go through the CRBA process.

The main obstacle is the 10 day waiting period for a license once the license has been applied for. I also understand that as a foreigner I also have to be in country 10 days prior to applying for the marriage license. Someone please correct me if this is wrong. I can only visit one to two weeks at a time every 3 months which is why she and I never really went through the process of applying for the marriage license there.

Is there any way she and I could get past these waiting periods? I know that I have to get the letter from the US embassy stating that I am free to marry, but that shouldn't be too time consuming.

I submitted all of my requirements and got a license back the same day I applied.

I may have broke the law, but it was not presented to me as such. So boo hoo.

So, yes it is possible. At least it was possible then. Everything changes with the wind in the Philippines. 

Get your legal capacity to marry document from the US embassy, and then dive head first. You seem to be in a rush, where there is a will (and pesos) there is a way, especially in the Philippines. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2
bargeman

Most wonderful women in the world. But, Filipinas are the World's shittiest liars.

Amen to that.!!!

also Amen also, found out later her cenemor was on white paper, not on the yellow security paper, also found out that a civil wedding can only be heard at city hall during business hours by a judge, not on a Sunday in parents house only in extreme circumstances not living close to the city, thats what happens being in a hurry to get married so op dont rush to get married. 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

found out later she was already married to a Filipino

Yea you got cooked...

Best not to get any where near to any 'registry office' without seeing a CENOMAR.

Least I am prepared to tell my story, I am certain there be some here on this forum have malarial stories, but to ashamed to tell, any way I been married to a wonderful Filipino for 7 years now.

Woolf

Least I am prepared to tell my story, I am certain there be some here on this forum have malarial stories, but to ashamed to tell, any way I been married to a wonderful Filipino for 7 years now.

??

SkyMan

This document is called a "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage". If you arrive with all requirements, you should have no trouble securing it in one day.

Technically, Americans can't get a CLCCM.  We get an Affidavit in Lieu of CLCCM.

No, it would not be invalid. If a marriage license is issued and a solemnization performed by someone authorized to do so, the marriage would be valid.

And if the embassy looked at his dates in country?

shadow

Technically, Americans can't get a CLCCM.  We get an Affidavit in Lieu of CLCCM.

And if the embassy looked at his dates in country?

The embassy only cares about what the NSO has to say about it. If the NSO says they are married, they are married.

• Like 3

sorry similar stories.

What he possibly meant but didn't say:

Filipino= male

Filipina= female

But I read that Filipino can mean both male and female, maybe not in Denmark.

• Like 1