Any way to get past the 10 day waiting period for a marriage license?

My fiancee is pregnant, I have filed the fiancée petition paperwork for her but the baby will be born before the fiancee visa process is complete. Having just read Shadow's post about the U.S Embassy not providing enough notice to applicants of the CRBA to actually make it to the appointment, I am considering marrying my fiancee there, sort of like a Vegas style quick wedding, just to not have to go through the CRBA process.

The main obstacle is the 10 day waiting period for a license once the license has been applied for. I also understand that as a foreigner I also have to be in country 10 days prior to applying for the marriage license. Someone please correct me if this is wrong. I can only visit one to two weeks at a time every 3 months which is why she and I never really went through the process of applying for the marriage license there.

Is there any way she and I could get past these waiting periods? I know that I have to get the letter from the US embassy stating that I am free to marry, but that shouldn't be too time consuming.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• baby43

• SkyMan

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You will have to go through the CRBA process no matter which visa you use.   It's time to start delaying the visa process. She must enter the US before her visa expires, the visa is valid for only 6

CFO has no power to stop a visa being issued or preventing one from leaving the Philippines. Their only job is to give a seminar, there is no "pass or no pass" in their control. They try to flex their

The embassy only cares about what the NSO has to say about it. If the NSO says they are married, they are married.

Elope,,,,,,, i know this is not the answer but i felt i would bump you get  the help you need best of luck mate..

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

No there is no way unless you bribe an official (against the law). it is the law of the Philippines.  You have to have your intent to marry posted at the civil registrars office for 10 days.  

How would marrying her get you out of the CRBA process.  You still have the K1 visa process and that takes time?  Since you are in and out of the country even being married may cause issue with paternity of the child.  Thus you may even need a DNA test to prove it is yours.  You have to establish you are in the country before and after all possible times of conception.   

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 2
Paul

I know that I have to get the letter from the US embassy stating that I am free to marry, but that shouldn't be too time consuming.

This document is called a "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage". If you arrive with all requirements, you should have no trouble securing it in one day.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

This document is called a "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage". If you arrive with all requirements, you should have no trouble securing it in one day.

Just make sure if he has been married in the past, that he has documentation for the divorce, or death certificate if a widower...

• Like 1

No you do not need to be in country for 10 days before applying for filing the marriage license application......To make this go easy you will need certified copies of all divorces, and birth certificate.  If she is from 18- 25 years of age she will need a parents consent or advise form.  You will need the Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry, then you can go apply for a marriage application.

What is the legal requirements to get married there, and how you can be married there is sometimes different. If her family knows the Local Civil Register, or has some influence at city hall you can ask if they can expedite the wedding. Basically you get married before the 10 day waiting period is up and they post date the marriage contract. But most times this is only by a few days, like 2 or 3 days.......  It's all up to the Local Civil Register where she will go to apply for the marriage application and their interpretation of the requirements. Some count the 10 days as, 10 consecutive days that the court house is open, some require Cenomar's on both of you.

It hard to make all this fit in 2 weeks, 3 weeks would not be a problem most times......What you need to do is have her go to the Local Civil Register where the marriage application will be filed, and ask all the requirements.......Then you can plan........

You will need to make a appointment with the Embassy to get the  Legal Capacity to Marry paper, you can do that online....then plan what else from there......

Edited by Alabam
  • Like 2
Headshot

1. It takes a lot longer than 10 days to file for marriage in the Philippines. The 10-day waiting period is AFTER you have jumped through all of their bureaucratic hoops, which can take weeks to get through. Once the application to marry is complete and turned in, they post the application in their office for 10 days to see if anybody wants to object. I don't think there is anyway to get around that short of a bribe or good connections, and I certainly wouldn't encourage a bribe.

2. If you have already filed for a fiancee visa for her, you would be much better off just going ahead with that. Marrying her while the fiancee visa process is ongoing would throw a monkey wrench in the works. It might really mess you up in the long run. At the very least, you would have to cancel the fiancee visa (with no refund) and have to file a spousal visa (for an additional fee). Anytime you step outside of the normal processes in the Philippines, (whether US or Filipino processes), you create a lot of trouble for yourself.

3. Take your fiancee and your child to the US Consular Office in Cebu to apply for the CRBA. You won't have to deal with the appointment system at the embassy. Make sure that you take ALL possible documentation with you when you go, as the consular officer in Cebu can't send it to Manila unless the application package is complete. You may still have to go to St. Lukes in Manila for DNA tests (for you and your child), but at least the application process is easier.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
easydrifter

From my experience, a two week trip will not give you enough time to get married here.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

From my experience, a two week trip will not give you enough time to get married here.

• Like 1

Yes , you can apply for a  I-130 after your married,  I-129f is no longer valid since now you are married.

smokey

Yes , you can apply for a  I-130 after your married,  I-129f is no longer valid since now you are married.

I heard if you go with the IR visa you basically have to be married a few years to squeak by the interview at the embassy maybe I am wrong

shadow

My fiancee is pregnant, I have filed the fiancée petition paperwork for her but the baby will be born before the fiancee visa process is complete. Having just read Shadow's post about the U.S Embassy not providing enough notice to applicants of the CRBA to actually make it to the appointment, I am considering marrying my fiancee there, sort of like a Vegas style quick wedding, just to not have to go through the CRBA process.

The main obstacle is the 10 day waiting period for a license once the license has been applied for. I also understand that as a foreigner I also have to be in country 10 days prior to applying for the marriage license. Someone please correct me if this is wrong. I can only visit one to two weeks at a time every 3 months which is why she and I never really went through the process of applying for the marriage license there.

Is there any way she and I could get past these waiting periods? I know that I have to get the letter from the US embassy stating that I am free to marry, but that shouldn't be too time consuming.

You will have to go through the CRBA process no matter which visa you use.

It's time to start delaying the visa process. She must enter the US before her visa expires, the visa is valid for only 6 months maximum. You don't want her visa to expire before the CRBA is done. If that happens, you will have to start over on the visa process, or she will have to leave the baby behind until the CRBA is completed.

Use the Cebu consulate if you can, rather than the Embassy, much easier to deal with. Take along lots of proof of relationship, they often ask for a DNA test if you were not married at the time of conception. If that happens, you will be dealing with the Embassy anyway.

If you marry, you cannot finish with the fiance visa, you must then file a new I-130 petition. The I-130 takes longer to process (10 months), but when she enters the US her green card will arrive in the mail in 2-4 weeks. With fiance visa she must adjust status after marriage to get the green card ($1070). 

Depending on where she must apply for the marriage license (which LCR), sometimes they will fudge things to allow you to marry without the 10 day wait. This is not exactly legal but it does result in a legal and valid marriage. Only the LCR where she must apply can answer this question for her.

In my opinion, marrying her here will only add to your problems. Finish with the fiance visa, but don't forget to delay it to allow time to complete the CRBA, or you will be filing for her visa all over again from the start. You can easily delay it by just not setting the interview appointment after she pays the visa fee. You have one year to pursue the visa after paying the visa fee.

Some info here that may be useful to you;

http://pinayvisa.com/k1-fiance-visa.html

Edited by shadow
  • Like 4

In 2005 I got married we file to get married on the Friday at the registry office, the following Tuesday, we were told we could get married any time, we got married that Sunday at her house, anyway her dad was barrangy captain, people at the registry office were related , even the judge was related, anyway it ended up as a scam marriage, she tried to say she was pregnant to me baby born 5 months after I left to come back to Australia, found out later she was already married to a Filipino.she still say baby is mine , even after this time still seen no photos of baby no birth certificate as requested many times, since I heard many foreigners get caught like this,

Soon as I heard about the scam i cut off all contact, any any support of money.

Paul

In 2005 I got married we file to get married on the Friday at the registry office, the following Tuesday, we were told we could get married any time, we got married that Sunday at her house, anyway her dad was barrangy captain, people at the registry office were related , even the judge was related, anyway it ended up as a scam marriage, she tried to say she was pregnant to me baby born 5 months after I left to come back to Australia, found out later she was already married to a Filipino.she still say baby is mine , even after this time still seen no photos of baby no birth certificate as requested many times, since I heard many foreigners get caught like this,

Soon as I heard about the scam i cut off all contact, any any support of money.

Most wonderful women in the world. But, Filipinas are the World's shittiest liars.

• Like 1
AlwaysRt

found out later she was already married to a Filipino

This happens enough to Always apply for and get a CENOMAR from NSO yourself (together is OK), point is you are there, in person or online, to order and receive personally. Fixers abound and a official looking version can be bought saying anything the purchaser wants.

Looks like the reasons to wait to get married as originally planned outweigh the get married soon idea. However, if you still want to and if she can travel, there are attorneys in Hong Kong that can legally arrange a marriage there within 3 days. Another option to consider.

• Like 1