Sign in to follow this  
julio from spain

Learning Spanish Yes? No? Why?

Bob Ward

Gentlemen please cool your jets and get back to the topic please. I'm quite sure that we have language and culture issues at play here so lets try and remember that some things get lost in translation! Thank you!!

julio from spain
May I inquire as to what classification of tourist you place yourself in? Just curious!

Fist of all I

aka

Yeah the Spaniards aren't very popular in my city here on Mindanao either. In fact the subject brought a lot of anger from the boys i was havin a drink with. So Julio i agree with scianna. If i were you i really would keep a low profile and not be so demanding regarding things Spanish

KeithAngel

I agree Bob and having looked at the first post I don't see any thing strange, reading between the lines cross culturally can be dangerous

I take the word Comvivience to mean "be together with" from convivia "To have life together" perhaps this was mistaken for convenient

Bob Ward
Fist of all I

julio from spain
Maybe you should know that my wifes family is of direct descent to Lapu-Lapu, not much love for the Spaniards in this part of the world.

Yes, I was nice to you because if I read between the lines of your first post, you were more or less expressing that you were looking for a wife slave.

I am sure that you will find love, just not here. One of my best friends in high school was from Spain, he couldn't stand it when his GF liked me more than him cause he was so full of himself. That crook really wanted to kill me.

Who beats a woman in front of a mirror?

Keep it coming, looks like some spicy discussion ahead of us.

:P

You are very fortunated to be part of the royalty of Cebu and also very circunspect to read between lines.. I think luck pursue you since that day you took the place of the spanish guy. You see, history repet. So, don

julio from spain
I know basic Spanish.

Do you think spanish language is part of your own mother language?

Some words are derived from Spanish.... so what !

Do you have any Hispanic heritage in your way of being, thinking or behaving?

Not really. We don't really have a formal siesta time. We don't drink Sangria

Do you feel closer to China, Japan or Malasya than Mexico?

Distance we are of course to other Asian countries. Mexico has cock fighting derbies, so culturally we may be closer to Mexico., but we don't have bull fights.

Are your music, dances, literature... Asian? Nothamerican?

It is Bisrock. Cebu is also known as the reggae capital of Asia.

Should be cultural development mainly aimed to economical interests?

What do you mean ? You mean like Sinulog Festival ?

Do you really know about your history? Different sources?

Yes I know the Filipino history.... 400 years of Spanish influence, 50 years of Hollywood.

Really funny

julio from spain
julio, I think you are wrapped around the axle mate! LOLOLOL just an old saying in the US about being spun up and over excited. Don't let some of the people get to you here or you will never survive or be able to learn. My question was to Mr. Whippy as I quoted his post!

I

Bet_Busta
quote from the book "History of the Filipino People" written by Teodoro A. Agoncillo:

"Probably one of the indelible marks left by the Spanish conquest on the Filipinos was the adoption of Hispanic names, as decreed by Governor Narciso Claveria in 1849. Filipinos were obligated to adopt surnames like Rizal, Del Pilar and Luna although some indigenous surnames like Mabini and Panganiban were retained. Not only were Filipinos given family names as bases for census and statistics, but the surnames also guaranteed exact tax collection, regular performance of polos y servicios personales, and control of population movement."

Hard to tell if thi is the reason for many Spanish sounding family names. The decree was made in 1849, 300 plus years after the arrival of Spanish. There are not too many Rizals, Del Pilars and Lunas around. Just because they were forced

to take a Spanish surname doesn't mean they did not hve Spanish blood to begin with... Or Mexican.

Looking at the physical features of the Zobels, Ayalas, Rectos, Laurels and Garcias, etc. it's not hard to conclude they

have Spanish/Mexican blood. You add to this those that can positively trace their roots, might come out to be the majority.

ckfm
Hard to tell if thi is the reason for many Spanish sounding family names. The decree was made in 1849, 300 plus years after the arrival of Spanish. There are not too many Rizals, Del Pilars and Lunas around. Just because they were forced

to take a Spanish surname doesn't mean they did not hve Spanish blood to begin with... Or Mexican.

Looking at the physical features of the Zobels, Ayalas, Rectos, Laurels and Garcias, etc. it's not hard to conclude they

have Spanish/Mexican blood. You add to this those that can positively trace their roots, might come out to be the majority.

Yes, positive.

I am always surprised when I see those people with Spanish descent on TV, they really don't look much Filipino at all. Most Filipinos look much more like people from Indonesia or Mexico, Thailand, Malaysia.

When I read the posts from our friend here, I can only say that my arse is probably whiter than his (they called me cheese at school fora reason!) but I am still proud not to be a racist. At least not towards the Filipinos.

mr_whippy

one of the features of Spanish colonization the world over was their willingness to intermarry with 'the natives'. French, British and the others didn't anywhere near as much - not that they didn't have a lot of sex with local women, of course they did, they just didn't marry them.

of course, if you plop the average Filipino down on the Bangkok skytrain the chances are they'd pass for Thai straight away, as do Malaysians, Khmers and Vietnamese, etc, as anybody who has ever taken a woman from one of those countries to Thailand will attest - they always get addressed in Thai language by the locals who can't tell that they're foreign either. With Filipinos, it's quite funny because after they get addressed in Thai and the pinay says 'I'm not Thai' in English, nine times out of ten the Thai person says, in the English lingua franca, 'But you look Thai!' 'Tai' does of course mean 'shit' in Tagalog.

The scrubbed up birds with the traces of Spanish lineage and the European features on the tv are the exception and aren't typical. They might look quite 'European' here when they're surrounded by zillions of more typical looking South East Asians, but they wouldn't there. The only Filipinos you see that might remotely pass for European on a Euro mass transit are usually half-Euros with a European father, or less likely a European mother.

FarEast
...nobody speaks Portuguese in East Timor...

I don't think so Mr Dub Ya. A documentary aired on Cebu City's Sky Cable TV this past week

found that at least 30% of that country do speak and READ Portuguese language.

Balay
Really funny

What is so funny ?

I am the only one who answered any of your questions !

I answered them honestly and as straight forward as I could.

aka
I don't think so Mr Dub Ya. A documentary aired on Cebu City's Sky Cable TV this past week

found that at least 30% of that country do speak and READ Portuguese language.

While Portuguese is classed as an official language of East Timor and while a documentary says that 30% of the country speaks it those of us that have actually been to that country can tell you it ISN'T widely spoken. It is taught in schools but only because of bureaucrats not because the people of the country actually wanted it to. Schools there actually teach in Indonesian while Tetum is the main language spoken. I certainly didn't hear Portuguese being spoken while i was there working.

FarEast
While Portuguese is classed as an official language of East Timor and while a documentary says that 30% of the country speaks it those of us that have actually been to that country can tell you it ISN'T widely spoken. It is taught in schools but only because of bureaucrats not because the people of the country actually wanted it to. Schools there actually teach in Indonesian while Tetum is the main language spoken. I certainly didn't hear Portuguese being spoken while i was there working.

Thanks for the update L & A. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the TV documentary,

but I think they meant to point out that 30% of the country could read and speak

Portuguese -- just as Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd can speak Chinese --

but NOT use it as an everyday "lingua franca" in daily speech.