Ship TO USA Advice for US Peace Corps Friend

to_dave007

Friend of mine in rural Cebu has been volunteer teacher in Cebu for last 2 years and is getting ready to head back to USA as the assignment ends.

Shipping advice to USA sought:

- I'll help bring the stuff into the city, so no need for rural Cebu pickup.

- Destination either los Angeles or Maryland

- Personal effects, not of high value

- About 30 to 50 kilo

- can be packaged as needed, or put in suitcases.

- Seeking lowest cost transport - don't care how long it takes.

Suggestions?

(BTW.. my friend and some of her students authored a book of Visayan children's stories that will be published some time soon)

Edited by to_dave007

.., trying to get a plane ticket which allows 40 KG of check in luggage, the rest carry on. Everything else will cost a fortune, only if somebody takes it for free, but I doubt. It is an issue these days - or leave most of it behind.

• Like 1

Yes, the best is to try and cull the weight to fit within the luggage requirements. Carry as much of the small heavy items on your carry-ons/pockets as possible. If you do need to pay for extra check in luggage, it will still probably be cheaper than trying to ship it, and definitely more convenient.  

There is not a reverse balikbayan shipping service that I am aware of, that is priced the same as a normal balikbayan box. 

• Like 1
to_dave007

My peace corps friend tells me that another peace corps volunteer sent a large package (but don't know just HOW large) to the US through PhilPost for 8000 peso.  Personally I would NOT trust PhilPost for this, and if I did I would certainly deliver to the main PhilPost station in the city..  I don't know how that turned out.

Jawny

It is possible to use Philpost, but they are notoriously unreliable.

The cost for excess baggage on the flight may be close to the same cost as you mentioned.

Peace corps allows 100 lbs of checked luggage for returning volunteers. Of course of that is exceeded, then the costs are borne by the volunteer.

I would recommend using the airline to get the stiff back.

• Like 3
shadow

Yes, the best is to try and cull the weight to fit within the luggage requirements. Carry as much of the small heavy items on your carry-ons/pockets as possible. If you do need to pay for extra check in luggage, it will still probably be cheaper than trying to ship it, and definitely more convenient.  

There is not a reverse balikbayan shipping service that I am aware of, that is priced the same as a normal balikbayan box. 

There is reverse BB service priced not horribly high;

http://www.manilaforwarder.com/imexport.html

For 50 kg, why bother though? Do as others have advised and fly it!

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
to_dave007

Thanks to all..  Learned this morning that my friend plans to travel in SE Asia (multiple stops) immediately after the assignment is done, and so taking all the stuff as checked luggage doesn't work so well.

Thanks Shadow..  the Manila Forwarder provides a good option, though I expect that the $$ charges at the USA end may kill that option.  That's my friends decision.

As I'm close-by today, I'm going to go to main Phil Post office today to see what they offer.  As others have said, I know they are not so reliable, but I want to see what they offer anyways.  Can always use them to ship back the "bulk" of the less valuable stuff, and just take the risk of loss.

[Anyone ever try to fly unaccompanied luggage back to USA?  I would assume that's a non-starter these days]

Thanks again.

Edited by to_dave007
Headshot

Then your friend should probably find a freight forwarder to have her stuff shipped to wherever she wants it.

• Like 1
shadow

Thanks to all..  Learned this morning that my friend plans to travel in SE Asia (multiple stops) immediately after the assignment is done, and so taking all the stuff as checked luggage doesn't work so well.

Thanks Shadow..  the Manila Forwarder provides a good option, though I expect that the $$ charges at the USA end may kill that option.  That's my friends decision.

As I'm close-by today, I'm going to go to main Phil Post office today to see what they offer.  As others have said, I know they are not so reliable, but I want to see what they offer anyways.  Can always use them to ship back the "bulk" of the less valuable stuff, and just take the risk of loss.

[Anyone ever try to fly unaccompanied luggage back to USA?  I would assume that's a non-starter these days]

Thanks again.

In defense of Philpost, usually shipments going out of the Philippines are safe. We have used them for smaller items many times, never a problem, usually arrives at US destination in 10 days or so.

to_dave007

In defense of Philpost, usually shipments going out of the Philippines are safe. We have used them for smaller items many times, never a problem, usually arrives at US destination in 10 days or so.

Same experience here.

To improve the odds a bit further, I would bring the packet to main/central Post Office in Cebu City.

• Like 1