Auto electrician

Tinbum

Tinbum

Trying to find one in Metro Cebu or thereabouts.

Problem with car starter motor. Old one burnt out. New one bought and fitted. Exhibited faults listed below so exchanged for another brand new unit.

Believe its the solenoid not making contact between the battery live feed and the feed to the starter motor. Goes CLICK when key turned but starter does not turn over. Mostly not, but occasionally it does.

However, if i put a direct battery feed to the solenoid energization line (little spade fitting) (battery measured at 12 .5V) it works every time ie starter motor turns over. Measured the voltage being sent via key turning on down the same energization line and its 11.8V.

I cant see that 0.7V is the difference between working and not.

Maybe when the key is turned other electrical components are dropping the voltage down more.

Need an expert to sort it as my brain is saying solenoid but hot wiring the solenoid proves it works!!!!.

Its an 03 Frontier so no computers etc.

shadow

Trying to find one in Metro Cebu or thereabouts.

Problem with car starter motor. Old one burnt out. New one bought and fitted. Exhibited faults listed below so exchanged for another brand new unit.

Believe its the solenoid not making contact between the battery live feed and the feed to the starter motor. Goes CLICK when key turned but starter does not turn over. Mostly not, but occasionally it does.

However, if i put a direct battery feed to the solenoid energization line (little spade fitting) (battery measured at 12 .5V) it works every time ie starter motor turns over. Measured the voltage being sent via key turning on down the same energization line and its 11.8V.

I cant see that 0.7V is the difference between working and not.

Maybe when the key is turned other electrical components are dropping the voltage down more.

Need an expert to sort it as my brain is saying solenoid but hot wiring the solenoid proves it works!!!!.

Its an 03 Frontier so no computers etc.

In years gone by, I have solved many issues as you describe by adding a relay to give full battery voltage to the sol. This used to be a common problem with Japanese ignition switches, they were not heavy enough to put full voltage to the starter sol. Installing a relay cures that.

• Like 3
shadow

In years gone by, I have solved many issues as you describe by adding a relay to give full battery voltage to the sol. This used to be a common problem with Japanese ignition switches, they were not heavy enough to put full voltage to the starter sol. Installing a relay cures that.

Like this

670763.jpg

• Like 1
thebob

Or Hardwire in a momentary pushbutton to the solenoid.

Take it to Tri-J, they'll fix it for you in a jiffy.

Edited by thebob
  • Like 2
philuk

check your batery under load,   if the batery is under 12 volts then a cell has gone or going,

if the battery voltage is over 12 volts then its a good un, and try what bob sugest and fit a push button

• Like 1
thebob

if the battery voltage is over 12 volts then its a good un, and try what bob sugest and fit a push button

They sell them in the motor parts shops as horn switches.