Inverter type appliances

bluecarabao

Inverter type appliances take A/C and invert to D/C to run appliance D/C motor/compressor.

Can it be said that one could bypass the A/C and run said appliances direct from solar D/C thus by passing expensive D/C to A/C inverters ?

• Like 1
Jsteam

Most of these, `inverters' are what use to be called cycleconverters now usually called Variable speed drivers. They convert the fixed frequency ac input into a variable frequency/voltage output to give a smooth start and stop cycle to the motor(uses less current) and also the ability to run the motor at different speeds to suit the load! Thus minimising start stop cycling!

You are correct in that some drives are DC motors, however these are a minority as the standard AC induction motor is cheap and sturdy and will work with a VSD without modification!

Yes, if your drive is a DC motor you MAY be able to drive it from a DC supply! But most of this type of motor run on high voltage switched DC! This is so the AC supply does not need transforming to a lower  voltage, it is just rectified to DC and sent to the motor controller!

• Like 4
bluecarabao

Most of these, `inverters' are what use to be called cycleconverters now usually called Variable speed drivers. They convert the fixed frequency ac input into a variable frequency/voltage output to give a smooth start and stop cycle to the motor(uses less current) and also the ability to run the motor at different speeds to suit the load! Thus minimising start stop cycling!

You are correct in that some drives are DC motors, however these are a minority as the standard AC induction motor is cheap and sturdy and will work with a VSD without modification!

Yes, if your drive is a DC motor you MAY be able to drive it from a DC supply! But most of this type of motor run on high voltage switched DC! This is so the AC supply does not need transforming to a lower  voltage, it is just rectified to DC and sent to the motor controller!

Your info is kindly appreciated. We are going off grid on Samal Island so I was trying to cover all angles to correctly size my solar system.

I know that inverter type washing machine has D/C motor, inverter fridge has D/C compressor along with some inverter air conditioners. I will have to learn more about this "high voltage switched D/C" to see exactly what voltage I am looking at.

Lighting and ceiling fans are all straight D/C along with the all important rice cooker. D/C water pump is also available. Can't get away from not using a D/C to A/C inverter,but would like as much as possible to run direct D/C.

We will be using a sun tracker for the solar panels to maximize energy output.

We will have to make some adjustments like,no more stand up refrigerator. Will use a plug a play thermal control unit that will allow us to use our large two door deep freezer as a refrigerator which should save us up to 80% in energy cost. I would be happy with 50% what with two kids always digging for something to chew on.

One other point,this build is a shipping container home,using four 20' containers,plus another container for my man cave/ workshop.

I'll start another thread on that one soon.

Thanx again for your imput.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Paul

We will be using a sun tracker for the solar panels to maximize energy output.

You would be much better off by adding a few more panels to your array, than using a tracker.

If you have the available land, two arrays, one southeast, another southwest, would be the best solution.

bluecarabao

You would be much better off by adding a few more panels to your array, than using a tracker.

If you have the available land, two arrays, one southeast, another southwest, would be the best solution.

My solar tracker is very low tech,uses a water clock,increases efficiency by 30% and not one watt is used to track the sun.

Edited by bluecarabao
  • Like 1
Paul

My solar tracker is very low tech,uses a water clock,increases efficient by 30% and not one watt is used to track the sun.

Photos? Would to see your system,sometime.