moving to cebu

shannette

HI members ,

my husband and I have heard alot about cebu its sounds like a great place to relocate to. We have been in business in Australia (queensland) for 24 years now and are absolutely over the whole democratic rubbish that governs us in our business (steel fabrication, sandblasting and protective coatings) between the EPA and the council we feel that it is impossable to have industry here . My husband has recently passed his NACE level 3 and we are looking to sell up here and move .... somewhere?

I am keen on Thailand though the more I hear of Cebu the more I like it.

My questions I guess are the same as many but my biggest concerns are I have 3 children (15, 13 and 11) and wonder what the schooling is like there? Is it a safe happy place to raise them and what are the restrictions of Aussies owning a property in Cebu?

I would also be interested in hearing from someone who works in the shipping industry in cebu and find out if Bens NACE 3 qualifications are something they would be interested in?

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has some knowledge on these topics especially if you have relocated with children yourself.

Cheers Shannette :D

I cannot help you with the schooling question, although I am sure others here can. Try and get advice from an Australian's perspective on this; the US schooling system is much different than the Australian.

As for children's safety, my opinion is that it is as safe, if not safer, in the Philippines for them compared to Australia.

Foreigners cannot legally "own" land in the Philippines, however there are many different ways around this little problem. Good legal advice should be obtained.

I work in the shipping industry both in Queensland and Cebu, although not in the construction side. By NACE, I assume you mean the National Association of Corrosion Engineers (US based) and not the National Association of Childbirth Educators (Australian based). Ben may be lucky enough to secure employment in the shipping industry in Cebu, however he will require the correct working permits and he most probably will be paid Filipino rates (think of P10,000 to P20,000 per month). He may be better setting up a consulting business there.

I would strongly recommend that you first visit Cebu (and other parts of the Philippines) for say 6 months to get a handle on how things work there and experience the lifestyle. Not all foreigners comfortably settle in. If you then decide that you do want to move to Cebu, rent for the first 6 months to a year before deciding on where and how you want to permanently live. Depending on the standard of accommodation you desire, rental accommodation in the Cebu area will cost anything from a few thousand pesos per month to many tens of thousands (or much more) per month.

By the way, you are not the only one who is getting fed up with trying to operate a business in Australia.

I cannot help you with the schooling question, although I am sure others here can. Try and get advice from an Australian's perspective on this; the US schooling system is much different than the Australian.

As for children's safety, my opinion is that it is as safe, if not safer, in the Philippines for them compared to Australia.

Foreigners cannot legally "own" land in the Philippines, however there are many different ways around this little problem. Good legal advice should be obtained.

I work in the shipping industry both in Queensland and Cebu, although not in the construction side. By NACE, I assume you mean the National Association of Corrosion Engineers (US based) and not the National Association of Childbirth Educators (Australian based). Ben may be lucky enough to secure employment in the shipping industry in Cebu, however he will require the correct working permits and he most probably will be paid Filipino rates (think of P10,000 to P20,000 per month). He may be better setting up a consulting business there.

I would strongly recommend that you first visit Cebu (and other parts of the Philippines) for say 6 months to get a handle on how things work there and experience the lifestyle. Not all foreigners comfortably settle in. If you then decide that you do want to move to Cebu, rent for the first 6 months to a year before deciding on where and how you want to permanently live. Depending on the standard of accommodation you desire, rental accommodation in the Cebu area will cost anything from a few thousand pesos per month to many tens of thousands (or much more) per month.

By the way, you are not the only one who is getting fed up with trying to operate a business in Australia.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if this is how I am supposed to reply but end up in an endless loop when i hit reply button so .....

thankyou for your replys , though ben was very supportive when gave birth to our children he is no midwife , so yes i meant National Association of Corrosion Engineers (lol) and I think your idea of consulting was what he was planning to do anyway as the new regulations for inspection in the shipping industry means he has the potential of inspection world wide. As I said I am keen on Koh Samui though it is a very expensive place to live (compared to other areas in thailand) and we are still at the investigating stage of where to base ourselves , Jack Spratt the links you gave me certainly scared the hell out of me esp as my 11 y/o is a stunning blue eyed blonde who already thinks she is a pop star and having that much security is not what I want them to grow up surrounded by, Cebu sounds like the Sunshine coast " great place to visit but dont start a business there!"

RBS I would like to communicate more with you regarding your role in the shipping industry esp as you are in qld as well as PI. could you please supply me with an email address if you are interested or alt mine should be listed in here somewhere (just that i dont really know my way around the site.

Schooling also sounds very expensive for very little education, i searched a private school in cebu only to see that the administrators of the site have blocked it dure to unpaid fees LOL wow what a great school that must be :D

Perhaps we will end up in Bangkok- I certainly felt safe there and its cheaper than samui.

Again thank you for your replys and if we do come for a visit i will try and look up some expats before we come so we can see a friendly face :cry:

shannette

Edited by shannette
smokey
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if this is how I am supposed to reply but end up in an endless loop when i hit reply button so .....

thankyou for your replys , though ben was very supportive when gave birth to our children he is no midwife , so yes i meant National Association of Corrosion Engineers (lol) and I think your idea of consulting was what he was planning to do anyway as the new regulations for inspection in the shipping industry means he has the potential of inspection world wide. As I said I am keen on Koh Samui though it is a very expensive place to live (compared to other areas in thailand) and we are still at the investigating stage of where to base ourselves , Jack Spratt the links you gave me certainly scared the hell out of me esp as my 11 y/o is a stunning blue eyed blonde who already thinks she is a pop star and having that much security is not what I want them to grow up surrounded by, Cebu sounds like the Sunshine coast " great place to visit but dont start a business there!"

RBS I would like to communicate more with you regarding your role in the shipping industry esp as you are in qld as well as PI. could you please supply me with an email address if you are interested or alt mine should be listed in here somewhere (just that i dont really know my way around the site.

Schooling also sounds very expensive for very little education, i searched a private school in cebu only to see that the administrators of the site have blocked it dure to unpaid fees LOL wow what a great school that must be :D

Perhaps we will end up in Bangkok- I certainly felt safe there and its cheaper than samui.

Again thank you for your replys and if we do come for a visit i will try and look up some expats before we come so we can see a friendly face :cry:

shannette

Raising foreigners children here is very very very hard... private school for 3 will be at least 6 to 7,000 us a sem.. my 13 year old daughter cried and begged to go back to the US almost non stop and i finally let her go at 17... She cried when she took a jeepney and said the boys were perverts .if she wore american style fashion they would call her a whore, you have to dress the girls like nuns... you have to watch the girls like a hawk.. the boy he had a great time was in bars drinking at 16 had more girl friends then fingers on his hands.. finally got him into the US navy at 19 and with all the hell he brought us the wife says she will do everything she can to keep him safe by keeping him out of the Philippines..

smokey

is this based on your own personal experience in having Foreigner born NON Filapano children ... when you say safety i agree no one tried to hurt the children physically but mentally yes .. ... i tried to force my daughter to blend in and she would ride a jeepney and come home crying about some boys would BUMP into her for no reason or touch her for no reason and most often talk about her .. She would never ride a jeepney unless there were lots of older women on board and she said the girls were worse calling her a whore and accusing her of trying to steal their boy friends .... ONLY in the mall and in school did she feel safe i know being a kid is tough but to be in a foreign country and not speaking the language or know the customs can be more then a child can handle.

is this based on your own personal experience in having Foreigner born NON Filapano children ... when you say safety i agree no one tried to hurt the children physically but mentally yes .. ... i tried to force my daughter to blend in and she would ride a jeepney and come home crying about some boys would BUMP into her for no reason or touch her for no reason and most often talk about her .. She would never ride a jeepney unless there were lots of older women on board and she said the girls were worse calling her a No way! and accusing her of trying to steal their boy friends .... ONLY in the mall and in school did she feel safe i know being a kid is tough but to be in a foreign country and not speaking the language or know the customs can be more then a child can handle.

yes I think Cebu would be better when there are no kids involved. My children pick up languages fairly easy and after only 5 weeks in thailand they were well on their way to conversing with the locals , but... the locals helped them alot . Im not sure this sounds like the case in PI. I also wouldnt want to live somewhere where I need to worry about them 24/7 , kids need to be kids and have fun but without looking over their shoulder worrying if they are offending someone by talking to eg someone elses boy/girlfriend. Its a shame really as the pics on the net make it look like a great place to live.

No doubt we will get over there for a visit and check it out ourselves , but I think as far as moving there we will wait a few years till the kids are off our hands.

Am still intereseted in hearing from people who we can use as a contact/introduction to shipping industry , we met a guy in bangkok who works there but his english is VERY limited .

cheers shannette B)

MattFromGA

I hear you on the government regulations and other BS making it harder and harder to run a business in a western country.

It does make a bunch of sense to come visit Cebu before deciding.

Not everyone would agree with the negative aspects being mentioned to you about Cebu, so its good to make your own decision based on coming here for a visit. I wont bother offering positive information about Cebu as it will only cause another pissing contest with the guys that live here but think its a hell hole. Just know that some expats are able to make a good life for themselves here and do find Cebu to be a great place to live.

Make your own informed decision by coming for a visit.

Good luck.