• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• oscarpears

• rep1

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This whole idea how people supposedly feel so much safer walking the dumpy streets of Malate than they do in a major US city is mostly a fantasy, or just that, a feeling.   The big difference is tha

Nah, just observe everyone through the same looking glass on standards which are equal. Do not use either rose colored glasses or rectum-optics when observing others. use due diligence and common sens

I am use to the targeting and I simply let it slid like water on a duck's back. Those that read more to what is actually written are see intent which was intended. Those who do not mind if the insult

rep1

Nobody writing in all caps are safe, Du30 has a special squad for them

why don't rich filipinos, chinoys and expats hire death squad, though?

if they can kidnap and murder you, you can kidnap back their families or murder them all. Being richer should give us a better position, no? if every kidnappers end up having his entire family shot in cold blood, they'd stop doing that.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

if every kidnappers end up having his entire family shot in cold blood, they'd stop doing that

It takes a very special person to come up with such an ingenious idea !!

• Like 3
JamesMusslewhite

This whole idea how people supposedly feel so much safer walking the dumpy streets of Malate than they do in a major US city is mostly a fantasy, or just that, a feeling.

The big difference is that when were at home MOST of us are not walking around the "bad" parts of our home town while at the SAME TIME being perceived by everyone around us as very wealthy with targets on our backs. I'm not even covering jealousy and other issues. Add to this them knowing that chances of ever being caught are very slim and you have a situation that IS NOTHING LIKE HOME.

Safer? Safe? Yeah right...we all have our reasons for living here and that's the risk we take, but it's really a disservice to the guys thinking about moving here when people try to paint it as "safe" in any way.

Your right,

I too think that 90% here probably rally do not need, want or even like being here I think your are right that they should seriously contemplate moving on to wherever greener pastures they know they will have a happier life. Then those of use who do generally like living here no longer have to listen to the constant whinnie bitching and constant nit-picking Pinoy-bashing that permeates in these threads like the stench of cowardous. You may have the perfect policy and absolute solution, 'Can't hang, than catch a plane'. Flights leave daily.

I know I personally would not mind not having to listen to some non-hacker trying to tell me how it is I am suppose to live, feel, think or be about living here in Mindanao. It is really not our fault their lives and poor decisions suck so much.. :thumbsup:

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 4

why don't rich filipinos, chinoys and expats hire death squad

They do. Have you heard of the Maguindinado(sp?) Massacre?

oscarpears
Your right, I too think that 90% here probably rally do not need, want or even like being here I think your are right that they should seriously contemplate moving on to wherever greener pastures they know they will have a happier life. Then those of use who do generally like living here no longer have to listen to the constant whinnie bitching and constant nit-picking Pinoy-bashing that permeates in these threads like the stench of cowardous. You may have the perfect policy and absolute solution, 'Can't hang, than catch a plane'. Flights leave daily. I know I personally would not mind not having to listen to some non-hacker trying to tell me how it is I am suppose to live, feel, think or be about living here in Mindanao. It is really not our fault their lives and poor decisions suck so much..

You agree with and "like" the intelligent points that White Knight makes, and then you proceed to contradict him and put words into his mouth.

I don't come across much of the negativity and the Pinoy bashing that you seem to imagine permeates these treads. Mostly I read these forums for their balance and divergence of opinion. If they were all of the rose tinted glasses or of the Pinoy bashing school of thought, then the forum would cease to have any interest or merit.

If someone has a negative experience in the Philippines and shares it, then I am grateful for their courage and community mindedness, we learn from our mistakes and if we are intelligent, we  learn from the well considered experiences of others.

We are all different. You are fortunate to have an enduring long term marriage, a strong and implacable faith in God, and are a bedded in, and well respected member of your community in Surigao.

I have often walked the streets of Colon up to midnight; the fact that I have done so doesn't lead me to conclude that the vicinity of Colon is safe. I walk the area with the same degree of vigilance as a gazelle walking across the African Savannah. Being White or Black in the Philippines is a disadvantage, Unfortunately you are more than just a gazelle, you are a gazelle walking across the savannah with a lame foot.

Next year I intend to move to the Philippines. As a single man I don't expect it will be easy. Once I found it novel and flattering that every stranger I met seemed to want to marry me, now I find it tedious, embarrassing and lonely. I dislike standing out and being constantly categorised as a rich "foreigner". And as I love the culture and the ethos of the Philippines, I don't want to spend my time guzzling beer with other "foreigners",  whose company I would avoid if I met them in the UK,

Thank you though for your advice, but I know that "flights leave daily" and I know where the airports are and how to board a plane. I am not as familiar as you seem to be with "the stench of cowardous", it strikes me, that as life is short, many of those who leave the Philippines after a few years, do so not because they "can't hang"  in there, but simply because they no longer want to hang in there.

• Like 5
Davaoeno

I find it tedious, embarrassing and lonely. I dislike standing out and being constantly categorised as a rich "foreigner". And as I love the culture and the ethos of the Philippines,

You dont like standing out - but that is the culture of the Philippines.  You dont like being categorised as being a rich foreigner- but that is the culture of the Philippines. 

Next year I intend to move to the Philippines. As a single man I don't expect it will be easy

Do you believe that it would be easier for you to move here as a married man  with a wife from the UK ?

smokey

Nah, that just taught me to be leery of expats you first meet, and take time to try to know them before getting too close. Some old boys here are more than happy to drag all their excess baggage and dirty laundry through your transom.  

wow a foreigner shot him I did not know that ,,, maybe he insulted his wife by not accepting her new boyfriend wow

• Like 2
oscarpears

You dont like standing out - but that is the culture of the Philippines. You dont like being categorised as being a rich foreigner- but that is the culture of the Philippines.

Thank you for telling me what I already know.

Do you believe that it would be easier for you to move here as a married man with a wife from the UK ?

No. If I thought that I would have said as much.

hyaku

I have often walked the streets of Colon up to midnight; the fact that I have done so doesn't lead me to conclude that the vicinity of Colon is safe. 

I had friend that frequented and stayed there on and off for many years. Then one morning in broad daylight someone stuck something in his back that felt like a barrel of a gun and took his money. Just the once was enough.

Enuff

Hanging around Colon, Carbon or Mango or any "bad" part of town after dark is no different than being in any US city and walking on Martin Luther King Blvd.

That man walked for peace but after dark you better run for your life on MLK!

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Thank you for telling me what I already know.

Perhaps you could post a list of all the things that you know so we dont have to guess.[

No. If I thought that I would have said as much.

again it would be helpful then if you posted a list of everything that you think- again so we dont have to guess

• Like 1
delancey

People come to a dangerous third world environment and then live in fear or project hostility at every turn? I'd be dead by now ten times over if it was that bad. Countless times I was exposed because it is largely unavoidable. The point is the people that constantly project a feeling of fear are having no more valid experience then those unrealistically projecting a feeling of safety. Their is simply too many data points to call one far right or left position accurate.

We all know that the person that feels safe could get bumped off five minutes later in a third world country but realistically most of us are still here. It seems like people are hitting themselves in the head with a hammer then complaining they have a headache if they are so afraid yet they have 1000 posts on a Philippines forum. Yes it is dangerous here but that is not the entire story. Some, not all, want to make it virtually the only story.

• Like 2
Topper

I used to fly into Miami every month . Each week there was a page of the Miami Herald ? dedicated to all the murders that week.  One of the common things was for foreigners who rented cars at the airport to be attacked as they left the airport and robbed or killed.  Eventually the rental cars were forced to remove all the stickers on their rental cars because that was how the tourists were chosen.

I remember when a German family was killed after leaving the Airport in a rented car. That was shortly after Florida passed a law where anyone who passed a background check could carry a gun. The low lifes who made a living preying on Floridians now could get shot for there troubles. So they just shifted their practices to preying on people who just passed through a security check at the Airport who they knew for sure would not be carrying a gun. An easy victim. 

• Like 2
rainymike

The Philippines has its dangers - like anywhere else on this planet. Just have to use your brains and common sense to keep your exposure to risks low. On a day to day basis, I feel that I live a normal life - not all that different from back home (less the Hawaiian food). But I am aware of the risks at hand and avoid them the best I can. 

Yesterday, we had an enjoyable day at the cinema (a first for the kids) watching Finding Dory. Most days are like that. But yeah, I am aware of the problems of a Third World country. Problem is, some foreigners aren't using their common sense or are unaware of the risks at hand or have a distorted sense of what the real risks are. Those are recipes for trouble. 

• Like 5