Seventy four year old Dutch friend was murdered yesterday.

TheWhiteKnight

His children are the beneficiaries of all of what Henk has. Any other properties etc has already been settled via court proceedings. She had signed papers after he locked her up for adultery a few years ago.

They actually pursue adultery charges when filed for the foreigners benefit? Wow. It seems like filing a case against them is what sets them off to really get revenge against you. I forgot the other story we recently looked at where some guy filed a case because he took in an fellow expat having marital problems, now hes rotting in jail on a fake rape charge.

RogerDuMond

They actually pursue adultery charges when filed for the foreigners benefit?

Of course they do, the law applies to everyone.

now hes rotting in jail on a fake rape charge.

Can we assume that you were there and know for a fact that it is false? If so, have you testified on his behalf?

Sounds like another case we're all familiar with.  Foreigner's wife finds other bf, hires hit on hubby, moves to hubby's country safe and sound.

Insensitive comment.

Why would you go into such depth for such thing. Get real. oh, here we have the result. I think those Filipinos can be reasonable but if you push them into a corner, hmm, ......................

rainymike

You know, this event is tragic for the man and his son. But it is my opinion that these types of incidents are not useful for making generalized conclusions about the country or its people. Last I read over 3.5 million foreigners pass through this country every year. And I think close to 200,000 were expats (I don't think it includes long time tourists like myself). 

I'm not sure if the rate of foreigner murders is any higher or lower than for the locals. Not sure if the rate of failed relationships is any higher or lower than for the locals. If that is the case, the number of murders is a low percentage of foreigners. And the number of failed relationships probably is a fairly high percentage of foreigners (judging by failed relationships I see among the locals).

In the same way, we the foreigners are often judged by a handful of dirtbags who are pedophiles - who probably represent a very low number of the foreigner population. 

If you plan to live here, you need a good sense of what the odds are working for and against you. Running on poor generalizations really doesn't help much. I truly feel for the guy and especially his son, but am careful about drawing any conclusions about what happened to him and what is happening to me. One shouldn't ignore bad incidents like this one - they do happen. But one has to be a bit realistic about what it all means - and whether it has any significance on your particular situation. 

• Like 4
USMC-Retired

It is not the fact murders happen just like the rest of the world. It is that crimes are never solved. RIP...

• Like 5
A_Simple_Man

I deplore people being found guilty without any proof

Me too, but if you knew any of the people involved you would know she is most likely guilty.  Funny that you would feel that way and yet feel Davao is a safe place.  If the wife lived in Davao there may never be a trial.  KnowwutImean?

hyaku

There is a tendency to arrest foreigners here and accuse them of things regardless. At the same time if people dont actually do a formal complaint possible perpetrators are just let go. It's not our country and we should read some of the stories and warnings on forums like this and try and keep our nose clean. One thing I am finding out here is some people will hold a grudge forever.

Our joint attorneys who were actually friends of the murdered man are all over this. We have managed to collect 1000 USD already leading to an an arrest. Far more than the murderers probably got paid. Its a small island and people talk. 

I will keep you all posted as events unfold. 

• Like 2
hyaku

Update: Dutch investigators arrived today. CCTV footage is still being viewed.

colemanlee

All the FB stuff is down now.....

SkyMan

I assume since you are a global moderator and not just some random member  that when you tell us and the public  that the wife hired a hit man to kill her husband and her son that you have proof ???

Were you told that by the Dutch police after they conducted their investigation of the wife ??

Or are you just slandering some woman who just lost her husband and had her son shot ??

Could you possibly be that callous and insensitive ???

That comes from reading the comments by the OP.

Davaoeno

That comes from reading the comments by the OP.

Nice try !! The OP only made one comment before your post and he inferred no such thing !!   You made it all up in your own head .