CEB-LAX-CEB on PAL

SkyMan

And BTW, at least on this occasion, Asiana's price was lower than PAL's price (or anybody else for that matter).
When we booked, CathayP was maybe $100 cheaper but considering there was longish layover in HK and the second leg almost the same air time as the PAL direct flight, I decided to give the PAL route a try.  PAL was ok but I think next time we'll do Cathay again, or Asiana.
  • Like 2
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• ex231

• SkyMan

• MikeV

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The wife and I recently returned from a US vacation and thought others might be interested in my thoughts on the flights.     I made the reservations in early February and when it came to seat assig

On domestic flights it's not uncommon for them to have 4 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in addition to the 3 bags.   I really wish all airlines would start enforcing their carry on policy.

I would guess those operated by PAL are about 15yo, not too old for airplanes… If PAL can renovate the interior, I know it will be better (have been to LAX and HNL once on their 340  ). They are still

Well, if you fly domestically into LAX on American Airlines, there is a walking ramp that goes from the secure area of the AA terminal directly into the secure area of the Tom Bradley International terminal, bypassing the ticketing and TSA areas of the international terminal. You just check your luggage all the way through to your final destination (Cebu?) at your airport of origin, and you never have to deal with any of the hassles or delays that are common at LAX. It is definitely an appealing option.

Anyway we can use this walking ramp if we are flying in LAX on United Airlines ? 

Edited by tim
Headshot

Anyway we can use this walking ramp if we are flying in LAX on United Airlines ? 

Nope...  :cool:

They have a special Hell reserved for those who fly United. It's called the Tom Bradley nightmare. To use the ramp, you have to already be inside the secure area in the American terminal, which you can't access without an American boarding pass or having flown in on American Airlines. All other airlines have to make their way to the Tom Bradley International Terminal and through ticketing and security there.

I don't believe there are ramps between the other terminals inside the secure areas, but if there are, then I suppose you could hop from terminal to terminal until you get to the Tom Bradley Terminal. It might be a long walk though.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Nope...  :cool:

They have a special Hell reserved for those who fly United. It's called the Tom Bradley nightmare. To use the ramp, you have to already be inside the secure area in the American terminal, which you can't access without an American boarding pass or having flown in on American Airlines. All other airlines have to make their way to the Tom Bradley International Terminal and through ticketing and security there.

I don't believe there are ramps between the other terminals inside the secure areas, but if there are, then I suppose you could hop from terminal to terminal until you get to the Tom Bradley Terminal. It might be a long walk though.

The connector runs all the way to T8 from TBIT.

sugbu777

Asiana.

We've always been satisfied with our Asiana flights. Good service and pretty good food.

The connector runs all the way to T8 from TBIT.

And someone was finally kind enough to put a map together.

http://www.laxishappening.com/assets/pdf/LAX-CTA-South-Tunnel-Map.pdf

It's all a bit confusing unless you're very familiar with LAX, so the map is very, very helpful.  The T4 to TBIT piece was the last piece added.  The T8 through T6 connectors have been there for some time, and even the tunnel from T6 to T4 has been in operation for maybe a couple of years.  So it's all airside between T8 and TBIT.  Probably a good idea to have a copy of the map with you in case you're going to ask directions - even some airport employees are not really familiar with the layout.

• Like 1
Headshot

And someone was finally kind enough to put a map together.

http://www.laxishappening.com/assets/pdf/LAX-CTA-South-Tunnel-Map.pdf

It's all a bit confusing unless you're very familiar with LAX, so the map is very, very helpful.  The T4 to TBIT piece was the last piece added.  The T8 through T6 connectors have been there for some time, and even the tunnel from T6 to T4 has been in operation for maybe a couple of years.  So it's all airside between T8 and TBIT.  Probably a good idea to have a copy of the map with you in case you're going to ask directions - even some airport employees are not really familiar with the layout.

Thanks for letting us know about the additional ramps and tunnels. Like I said, though, that would be one hell of a hike from the other terminals to Tom Bradley. The terminals are really spread out. I wonder why they chose to use tunnels rather than skywalks for terminals 4 through terminal 6. It just looks like it complicates things.

Thanks for letting us know about the additional ramps and tunnels. Like I said, though, that would be one hell of a hike from the other terminals to Tom Bradley. The terminals are really spread out. I wonder why they chose to use tunnels rather than skywalks for terminals 4 through terminal 6. It just looks like it complicates things.

Sure, but it's either hike it or exit the terminal, hop on a shuttle to take you around the loop to TBIT, and clear security at TBIT.

I think the tunnel was an existing service tunnel that was converted to passenger use.  It's pretty utilitarian.

• Like 1
Headshot

The airport I like is Hartford International in Atlanta. It has underground trains running between the secure areas of the various terminals, so you never have to deal with unnecessary security or unnecessary walking when you are making a transfer.

Edited by Headshot
SkyMan

The airport I like is Hartford International in Atlanta. It has underground trains running between the secure areas of the various terminals, so you never have to deal with unnecessary security or unnecessary walking when you are making a transfer.

That's the difference between a planned airport and a airport that has grown into what it is today.

miles-high

VERY old A340's

Old planes

I would guess those operated by PAL are about 15yo, not too old for airplanes… If PAL can renovate the interior, I know it will be better (have been to LAX and HNL once on their 340  ;)). They are still favorite airplanes for some heads of state (who cannot justify 747’s).

Wouldn’t you rather have 4 engines when flying in a stormy (winter) night, extended overwater? The engines for 340’s are very reliable CFM56 (and older RR Trent 500 for larger 340’s), they are proven on newer 737’s, A318/319/320/321’s, E3’s, E6’s, KC135’s…

I wouldn’t mind flying extended overwater on 777’s, their engines GE90, PW4000, RR Trent 800, all are also very reliable engines…

Talking about engines... I have been avoiding to take certain B787 flights, in fact, as recent as last week, I paid extra to change my schedule…

It is limited to those 787’s with RR Trent 1000 engines, i.e., mostly ANA (All Nippon Airways). They recently had 3 inflight engine shut downs due to the intermediate pressure turbine failure.

It’s announced that the turbine blades fail due to corrosion (so soon) and RR is telling them to replace those blades at very short intervals now. RR is replacing ALL ANA Trent 1000 engines to newer version within 3 years, in the meantime, several of ANA 787’s are grounded for blade replacement. You know there are only two engines and worse yet, both are susceptible to failure…

United 787’s are not affected as they use GEnx engines (they had some icing problems but it’s been corrected). But in case you fly UAL to MNL, it would be possible to connect to ANA (and their 787) so I would be careful in choosing their flight... as they also fly 767's or 777's to Manila...

• Like 3
Kabisay-an gid

I assume you're referring to Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartsfield%E2%80%93Jackson_Atlanta_International_Airport

A few people here mentioned Asiana. I just did the Cebu-Incheon-Frankfurt and back.

The food is a hit and miss. Excellent on the way to Europe, not so good on the way back, overcooked.

Leg room varies but I don't like the way the seats move forward when you recline. Kind of uncomfortable. Entertainment is mostly kids stuff and not as a variety as KAL.

But what bothered me most was that they cranked up the heat on each flight segment to about 25 degress C (about 77 F), I can't sleep at that temperature but nobody complained, so the Koreans must like it.

But what bothered me most was that they cranked up the heat on each flight segment to about 25 degress C (about 77 F), I can't sleep at that temperature but nobody complained, so the Koreans must like it.

That happened to me on a KAL from LAX - ICN. I think it was more than 25C though as I was really uncomfortable and sweating. All the Koreans were sleeping like babies lol