CEB-LAX-CEB on PAL

SkyMan

I've never really understood the priority boarding thing outside of getting overhead space before it's gone. If I knew for sure I'd have a spot for my carry on or wasn't traveling with one I'd rather be the last one through the door.

My sentiments exactly.  As long as I have room for my one small carry-on I'd rather be last.  I generally get an aisle seat towards the front so I don't really like getting whacked with everyone else's six carry-ons as they go by.  I just worry a bit that everyone around me has the six carry-ons so when I get there I have to put mine somewhere further back.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• ex231

• SkyMan

• MikeV

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The wife and I recently returned from a US vacation and thought others might be interested in my thoughts on the flights.     I made the reservations in early February and when it came to seat assig

On domestic flights it's not uncommon for them to have 4 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in addition to the 3 bags.   I really wish all airlines would start enforcing their carry on policy.

I would guess those operated by PAL are about 15yo, not too old for airplanes… If PAL can renovate the interior, I know it will be better (have been to LAX and HNL once on their 340  ). They are still

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Then why don't they have fares like a deep discount airline?

Mabuhay! 

I've never really understood the priority boarding thing outside of getting overhead space before it's gone. If I knew for sure I'd have a spot for my carry on or wasn't traveling with one I'd rather be the last one through the door.

Mostly about the overhead space if flying coach I guess. If you are flying to or from the Philippines, you will be onboard with 250 packrats who cant go anywhere without taking 3 bags with them as carry ons. 

In business its nice to get on and have a cocktail or two before takeoff. 

• Like 1

If I don't board early, there's a high chance I'll find someone sitting in my assigned seat who will insist that it's theirs. :killself: 

ex231

If you are flying to or from the Philippines, you will be onboard with 250 packrats who cant go anywhere without taking 3 bags with them as carry ons. 

On domestic flights it's not uncommon for them to have 4 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in addition to the 3 bags.

I really wish all airlines would start enforcing their carry on policy.

• Like 4
TheWhiteKnight

On domestic flights it's not uncommon for them to have 4 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in addition to the 3 bags.

Or some of the worlds shittiest pizza haha.

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

It is actually quite embarrassing for the Philippines to watch any flight from just about anywhere boarding with a PH destination. People pushing and crowding as if getting on the plane faster than the next person is going to get you home faster. 

• Like 3
Headshot

I've never really understood the priority boarding thing

That's not too surprising. PAL obviously doesn't understand the concept of priority boarding either ... and they really should. Priority boarding is for those who need some extra time or help to board, such as those with small children or the somewhat mobile elderly. Airlines also give priority boarding for business class and premium economy, which you pay for. Of course, these new CEB/LAX flights have no premium economy seats (more legroom), or any other creature comforts, since they are VERY old A340's, so that is a moot point.

Headshot

It is actually quite embarrassing for the Philippines to watch any flight from just about anywhere boarding with a PH destination. People pushing and crowding as if getting on the plane faster than the next person is going to get you home faster. 

The worst flights for people rushing the gate carrying armloads of stuff are those going to China. Philippines bound flights  have been on were not nearly so bad.

• Like 1
ex231

That's not too surprising. PAL obviously doesn't understand the concept of priority boarding either ... and they really should. Priority boarding is for those who need some extra time or help to board, such as those with small children or the somewhat mobile elderly. Airlines also give priority boarding for business class and premium economy, which you pay for. Of course, these new CEB/LAX flights have no premium economy seats (more legroom), or any other creature comforts, since they are VERY old A340's, so that is a moot point.

Sorry I should have been a little more clear when I said priority boarding. I was only speaking of those that pay or have some other reward.

miles-high

It is J.Co donuts that most Filipino passengers carry these days, per my personal observation at NAIA… :D

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=j.co+donuts&qpvt=j.co+donuts&qpvt=j.co+donuts&qpvt=j.co+donuts&FORM=IGRE

ex231

It is J.Co donuts that most Filipino passengers carry these days, per my personal observation at NAIA… :D

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=j.co+donuts&qpvt=j.co+donuts&qpvt=j.co+donuts&qpvt=j.co+donuts&FORM=IGRE

Those don't look too bad but I'm sure the peenoys can screw those up too. I haven't sen them MNL-DGT though, only the nasty KKs

Those remote gates at LAX, the 'Western Gates' are used as LAX ground control dictates.  I had to use one of those last week outbound on EVA, and the time before that was on an inbound EVA flight.  I've even used them on domestic flights, although they are used most often by TPACs.  So it's not a PAL thing at all.

I'm fine with PAL food although I just use them on relatively short, inter-Asia flights.  I like the cabin crews also.  I don't like the cabins themselves, most are from a time when PAL seemed determined to become another LCC (Low Cost Carrier).  The boarding priority thing also bugs me, drives me slightly nuts in fact.  Between the cabins and the lack of priority boarding I just fly PAL economy now.  Or Cebu Pacific, although PAL does seem to do a bit better in keeping closer to the published schedule.  

I've always been pleasantly surprised by how orderly folks line up for these flights.  Sure, as soon as they call for ANY type of pre-boarding then EVERYONE lines up.  But as someone mentioned, it's not at all like the mainland Chinese crowds.  I deal with those all the time and have become pretty comfortable with knocking elderly women aside - if I manage to get them before they get me of course...haha, seriously...

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

We will be taking this route with Pal (lax to cebu r/t) for the first time next month. Was wondering if anyone has taken this route in the recent past . Any information or tips to help us would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

Willyv2b

Two weeks ago I flew in to Cebu on Pal but from Tokyo. The Pal experience was ok with the food and service being ok. I flew Spirit airlines from Kansas city to LAX and that is about as cheap of a airline as you can get. I always enjoy the walk between terminals as I just had a 3 hour flight and will have a 11 hour flight ahead so my legs need the stretch. Lax is just like any other busy airport in the USA. I have flown over 300 times in my life so I guess I got use to the airport madness. As an observation the TSA or its equivalent in Japan was the nicest and most polite I've ever met. As I would fill up a tote with my stuff for x-raying they would move it on the rollers for me then after x-ray they rolled it to me then immediately removed the tote when I had emptied it.

All and all not a bad trip until I get to Cebu immigration. The lady agent didn't like my answers to her questions but she eventually said "just go". Don't know what all that was about but I did get my passport stamped with the 30 days non-visa.

• Like 1
Headshot

We will be taking this route with Pal (lax to cebu r/t) for the first time next month. Was wondering if anyone has taken this route in the recent past . Any information or tips to help us would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

My wife, my daughter and I flew it. They use very old planes with antiquated entertainment systems and very little service on a very long flight. We won't fly that route again. It might be a great route IF they would put new planes that actually have some amenities on the route. I won't hold my breath, though. Oh, and the situation at LAX definitely leaves something to be desired because PAL doesn't have an assigned gate at the international terminal, so they bus you to and from the plane with absolutely no sense of order.

• Like 1