Swiss national accused of trafficking jumps off vessel, dead

• Administrator
Salty Dog

​Maybe he was tossed?

No, he probably did jump. You know how sensitive those Metrosexual Northern European types are...

Using TapaTalk, so can't use emoticons

• Like 1
spydoo

Let's assume he was thrown rather than jumped. It's tough to defend people as the perpetrator who was apparently so morally corrupt. Of course everyone here (I would hope) would like to see the alleged perpetrator receive justice.

Now without due process our society does not officially accept punishment as justice. There's a reason for that. Where do we draw the line in the evidence we accept of someone's guilt? Then, what level of crime is worthy of capital punishment?

If we permit police to be arbitrary judges then we also have to accept a drug pusher who "jumps" off a landing to escape police, which then gives corrupt police licence to put something in your pocket and throw you off a balcony without having to answer for their actions. Personally I'm unwilling to give Filipino police that power. Are you?

I also have religious reasons why I object to people being killed before their time, but won't go into those due to forum policy.

So while it's difficult to defend the deceased I maintain that if he was pushed then he was murdered. RIP. If he jumped then police still failed in their duty of care, but that's a much lesser charge against them.

RogerDuMond

So while it's difficult to defend the deceased I maintain that if he was pushed then he was murdered. RIP. If he jumped then police still failed in their duty of care, but that's a much lesser charge against them.

It is lunacy to think that he was pushed. Death is much to easy for him and if anyone wants to see him suffer then prison is the best way to achieve that. No policeman wants to see him get the east way out.

The young cop made a mistake and he will pay for it.

spydoo

It is lunacy to think that he was pushed. ...

There's another issue with extra-judicial punishment: how would we know? If it's police policy is to kill alleged perpetrators then we can reasonably be suspicious of all such incidents, making it far from lunacy. 

RogerDuMond

There's another issue with extra-judicial punishment: how would we know? If it's police policy is to kill alleged perpetrators then we can reasonably be suspicious of all such incidents, making it far from lunacy. 

If it was policy, don't you think it would have happened in the close to two years that he has been in custody? It would make more sense to have it happen in a less public way.

• Like 1

Let's assume he was thrown rather than jumped. It's tough to defend people as the perpetrator who was apparently so morally corrupt. Of course everyone here (I would hope) would like to see the alleged perpetrator receive justice.

Now without due process our society does not officially accept punishment as justice. There's a reason for that. Where do we draw the line in the evidence we accept of someone's guilt? Then, what level of crime is worthy of capital punishment?

If we permit police to be arbitrary judges then we also have to accept a drug pusher who "jumps" off a landing to escape police, which then gives corrupt police licence to put something in your pocket and throw you off a balcony without having to answer for their actions. Personally I'm unwilling to give Filipino police that power. Are you?

I also have religious reasons why I object to people being killed before their time, but won't go into those due to forum policy.

Why would you assume he was thrown overboard ?

You did read that he was on LCT Island 2 ... a public ferry !

There would have been dozens of people / tourists and crew around ..

If he was going to be killed, it would have been in Bogo Jail, or somewhere private along the road .

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

• Like 1
spydoo

Why would you assume he was thrown overboard ?...

I said, "Let's assume", so it was for the sake of argument. I concluded with the alternative.

There are several other commenters in this thread who have stated they believe he was thrown overboard if you want someone to discuss that with.

I said, "Let's assume", so it was for the sake of argument. I concluded with the alternative.

There are several other commenters in this thread who have stated they believe he was thrown overboard if you want someone to discuss that with.

No need for a discussion .. my point is made.

Only chose you because u invited everyone to assume something I don't agree with :)

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Op quotes Sweden....some say a Swiss.   Before "assuming" too much more, was the guy from Sweden or Switzerland?  

Edited by Hy H

Op quotes Sweden....some say a Swiss.   Before "assuming" too much more, was the guy from Sweden or Switzerland?  

Switzerland!

• Like 1