Green coffee beans

BossHog

Got hold of five kilos of green robusta beans from Cotabato yesterday.

Guess I'll try and roast them up in an old wok on a wood fire outdoors this morning.

Seems like a lot of work but got lots of free time. Any pointers?

They are green and brown and gray and kind of small, actually. But heck what do you want for 75 pesos a kilo?

post-5791-0-25766600-1466381360_thumb.jpg

post-5791-0-30873700-1466381319_thumb.jpg
BossHog

Update:

post-5791-0-12786700-1466388430_thumb.jpg

post-5791-0-71617300-1466388485_thumb.jpg

Beans started making that popping/cracking sound...

post-5791-0-50486800-1466388556_thumb.jpg

Should've stopped here...

post-5791-0-80829300-1466388593_thumb.jpg

and..a little bit burnt. Smells good though.

post-5791-0-19298400-1466388728_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
BossHog

Almost there...

post-5791-0-26844100-1466390165_thumb.jpg

post-5791-0-23398600-1466390201_thumb.jpg

post-5791-0-64441000-1466390238_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Looks amazing, I've never seen green coffee beans sold here but I do buy beans from Batangas, sure is good.

• Like 1
spydoo

My tip is to not roast more than a week's supply: fresh is best.

• Like 2

Mmmmmmm, miss that smell! Looks like a yummy French-ish roast to me, and I'm saying that as someone who used to be a commercial wholesale roaster. A tad dark for the big boys like Starbucks who tend to go lighter to reduce costs, but the color of the grinds don't really look burned. Did it actually taste burned?

spydoo

Mmmmmmm, miss that smell! Looks like a yummy French-ish roast to me, and I'm saying that as someone who used to be a commercial wholesale roaster. A tad dark for the big boys like Starbucks who tend to go lighter to reduce costs, but the color of the grinds don't really look burned. Did it actually taste burned?

Does the quality of the grinder affect the end product much? Is a cheap ebay hand grinder ok?

Does the quality of the grinder affect the end product much? Is a cheap ebay hand grinder ok?

Yes, but depends on the brewing method. Paper filtered coffee is pretty tolerant of inhomogeneous grinds.

In general, you wont notice much in terms of quality, more in brewing efficiency. Where grind really matters the most is espresso type brewing. A french press will also benefit from a good grinder to lessen the amount of fines that end up as sludge in the cup.

• Like 1

I'm sure the hand grinder you're referring to would be OK. As long as it's a burr grinder, it'll be way better than any blade grinder. You want something that produces equally-sized granules, not a mixture of different sizes. That way the brew process extracts from them evenly.

Generally speaking, AB2000 is right. But I can also say that the grind can make a huge difference between a great-tasting cup of coffee and a bad one. It's depressing how many "professional" places ruin their coffee by improperly grinding it into a single mixture of different sized chunks, granules, and powder. Fortunately for them most of their customers are only interested in sugary milk drinks like Frappes and would never know the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
BossHog

Well, roasted another two kilos this morning. Some notes:

Found that 500 grams at a time seems to be the maximum so the beans roast (somewhat) evenly in our wok.

Takes just about twelve minutes on a very hot hardwood fire.

One kilo of green beans became 850 grams with moisture loss during roasting.

Used one of those nigo thingies they use for winnowing rice to get the paper off the beans after roasting and to cool them off quickly and stop the residual 'cooking'.

Definitely need a day/day-and-a-half to let the beans settle down before grinding and making coffee. Noticed a huge difference in this last time.

post-5791-0-02389200-1467423309_thumb.jpg

post-5791-0-55565200-1467423342_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
M.C.A.

BossHog, real cool, so will the wok be dry, how do they get such a shine on these beans?  I've seen them dull looking and others with a real nice shine and roasted dark color, the more shiny beans taste better.

Darker roasts extract more oils and thus have more shine. Lighter and old roasts tend to be more dull-looking.

M.C.A.

Darker roasts extract more oils and thus have more shine. Lighter and old roasts tend to be more dull-looking.

I've had the dull shine beans and they weren't as good and then I found another grocery chain in my area that sold the more shiny beans, real difference in flavor the aroma, both batches were from Batangas region.

• Like 1