Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

UK or Canada?

miles-high

We have already been to NYC, SFO, HNL, GUM, Frankfurt, Mendig (Nürburgring), Koln, Stuttgart, AMS, Belgium, Luxembourg, Antwerp, Lichtenstein, Barcelona, Andorra, Switzerland, most cities in France and Italy, Monaco, major cities in Japan…

Now wife wants to visit Canada or UK… Which first and where? Your suggestions would be appreciated…

I guess she does not need a visa to Canada (a Filipina with a US green card), so we may visit Canada first then UK during her winter recess… I know how cold the Canadian winter season is… UK? I don’t know… Thanks!!! :)

Ooooop, we also visited Sydney, Australia this year... ;)

Edited by miles-high

SkyMan

My cousins are flying to Banff and then taking a train ride.  Beautiful country in the Summer.

• Like 1

Enuff

I just got back from Montreal

If you don't mind French, it's a nice place this time of year.

They have an amazing downtown scene with plenty of nightlife.

• Like 1

broden

what do you like better doughnuts or scones?

• Like 2

Chas

Save the UK for June, early July or September.

The winter is grey, and depressing, with the occasional fantastic sunny it's good to be alive kind of day.

Late July and August are the long school holidays, every where is crowded and expensive.

The weather can change in an instant, be prepared.

Scotland is mainly beautiful (the Scottish parliament building is a carbuncle on a lovely city), but don't visit after June because of the midges.

Wales can be stunning when it stops raining.

Don't try and drive in central London, use the underground.

Enjoy, you will have a great time.

• Like 2

ex231

Between the two I'd go with Canada hands down. With the way things are UK does not interest me at all.

But my top pick would probably be something like this 

http://www.amawaterways.com/enchanting-rhine-2015

I went on a shorter version and it was pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

We have already been to NYC, SFO, HNL, GUM, Frankfurt, Mendig (Nürburgring), Koln, Stuttgart, AMS, Belgium, Luxembourg, Antwerp, Lichtenstein, Barcelona, Andorra, Switzerland, most cities in France and Italy, Monaco, major cities in Japan…

Now wife wants to visit Canada or UK… Which first and where? Your suggestions would be appreciated…

I guess she does not need a visa to Canada (a Filipina with a US green card), so we may visit Canada first then UK during her winter recess… I know how cold the Canadian winter season is… UK? I don’t know… Thanks!!! :)

Doesn't your wife ever just want to stay at home and relax while enjoying your company…

Sent from Note 4 using Tapatalk.

• Like 3

ckfm

Vancouver Island this time of the year

Scotsbloke

My cousins are flying to Banff and then taking a train ride.  Beautiful country in the Summer.

And is this in Canada or The UK ;)

• Like 1

SkyMan

Of course.

ozboy

Doesn't your wife ever just want to stay at home and relax while enjoying your company…

Sent from Note 4 using Tapatalk.

:evan:

• Like 1

Scotsbloke

British winters are usually pretty mild, certainly compared to Canada or Sweden.  We had pretty much no snow around London last winter and, on trips in to town, I wore nothing heavier than a mac.  Now and then we have a pretty harsh winter. especially in northern Scotland, but seldom for more than a fortnight.

Edinburgh is an absolutely beautiful city with an interesting history.  Possibly one of the most interesting places on the planet for a weekend break.  Some fantastic restaurants that, at the high end, are less stuffy than their London equivalents.  Easy, too, to hire a car and drive north and west for gorgeous scenery.  i know you're not short of a bob or two and these hotels are special, through a combination of cuisine, comfort and setting:

http://threechimneys.co.uk/

http://www.eriska-hotel.co.uk/

I'm obviously a bit London fan (having lived here, mostly, since 1984).  I've also been to most of Europe's capitals and many major cities. However, if I was putting together a 'tour package' for a week or so that combines city stuff, scenery, food, history and ease of travel then you really should go to North Britain!

• Like 1

Derick

The southern part of UK is OK in winter London as is Ireland i haven't seen snow in 10 years wet snow yes, so not to cold,

UK gets colder right up to late march early April.Summer months are or can be as warm as Philippine cold season 28c we are a little cooler 26c

Scotsbloke

Of course.

Now that's a delightful Filipino, "Would you like A or B. 'yes please' answer" seeing as Banff is a town in both countries.

• Like 2

Highlighter

I have visited both on numerous occasions in summer and winter and would say for history, culture, dining and nightlife the UK would be my choice, if you wanted scenery, snow (winter) and mosquitos Canada would come out on top.

Just had a quick 5 day visit to London earlier this month, so much to see and do. You could literally spend a month in London and still not see everything. Try doing that in a Canadian City. Quebec and Ottawa are probably the pick of the Canadian Cities.

• Like 1