Hi! My Name is Dennis...

dennis1105

dennis1105

Hello everyone! I've been lurking on these boards for about a year now and I thought I'd join and introduce myself...

I'm now living in the great metropolis of Drakes Branch, VA USA but, I plan to move to Cebu City in 2009.

I'm retired on Social Security Disability and according to what I've read on the forums, my $1200.00 USD should be enough to live pretty well since I'm a single guy (divorced).

I've been married three times..First to a girl from the Virginia mountains for 7 years, then for 26 years to a wonderful Puerto Rican lady and finally to the third wife who drove me crazy in 7 yrs. She was a Bipolar-Manic Depressive who I thought I "could take care of" .. big mistake!

I graduated High School in 1963 and joined the US Navy as a CT (Naval Security Group) and traveled all over the world in the 7 years I was in. Edzell, Scotland, Shu Linkou Airforce Base in Taiwan, Capetown, South Africa and of course, Viet Nam.

Left the Navy in 1970 as an E-6(CTR1) and played around with different jobs (mostly Fast-food Restaurant Mgmt) until 1978 when I decided I'd better use my GI Bill educational benefits before they ran out in 1980.

Moved to Orlando, Florida, worked at UPS at night and graduated from Valencia Comm. College with an AA degree in 1980.

In 1980, I got my Real Estate License and worked in Real Estate in Orlando, Florida for the next 21 years. A very lucrative career if you had enough sense to save money for the lean times!!!

I've got 4 children(2 boys, 2 girls) ranging from age 41 to age 22. We aren't very close as they are scattered all over the US.

I've been in Drakes Branch now since my divorce in 2005 and have had a part-time Ebay business (ebay name valueden1105) selling new and used computers and parts along with some coins and collectibles. The used computer parts business was profitable until computer prices crashed and like today, you can get a brand new one with monitor for only $400.00. Now, I just dabble in Ebay sales and only sell my old parts after I upgrade my own computers.

I'd like everyone to know how much I appreciate this forum and that I've gotten a wealth of information from it. I know how much work and dedication it takes to keep a site like this going. Using the search function, I've found answers to about every question I could possibly ask.

Having said that, I do have one question and I don't know if I should ask it here or not but, (you guessed it) I'm going to ask it anyway:

Since I'm on Social Security, with direct deposit into my local bank, is it best to keep it that way and just use my ATM card while in Cebu? Is there a better way?

Thanks!!! And I hope to see Y'all around June of 2009!!!

Dennis

twostrokes

Hi Dennis,

Your story is similar to mine...as far as Navy, (I was RM tech control), 3 marriages, (I have four), Real Estate after getting out, I did same, a broker in San Diego, and plan to go to Cebu in 09 also, but probably Oct. You might want to reconsider June as that is the start of the rainy season, might keep you from seeing as much as you want. That is why I am waiting until Oct., even though I retire with SS in June. Your income should be enough for a modest living in Cebu from what I also pick up on the forum. As far as your direct deposit, will depend on your specific bank. It would be best to keep it deposited into a US bank, but you might have to change to a different bank. Others on this forum who are already on the ground in Cebu can suggest which banks to use. I will have to do the same thing as far as changing banks.

Since I have been using PNB to send money to my wife's family, I will probably keep that system going for me also and just get a PNB ATM card. The account is already set up.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the PI, especially since it sounds like you never got stationed there. I did three tours there with extentions on each one plus went back as a civilian in 87, but havn't made it to Cebu yet. Was always on Luzon...

Maybe will see you there, if you are still there or change your mind about going in June....as that is 3-4 months of lots of rain. Like the monsoons in VN.

Jim

dennis1105
Hi Dennis,

Your story is similar to mine...as far as Navy, (I was RM tech control), 3 marriages, (I have four), Real Estate after getting out, I did same, a broker in San Diego, and plan to go to Cebu in 09 also, but probably Oct. You might want to reconsider June as that is the start of the rainy season, might keep you from seeing as much as you want. That is why I am waiting until Oct., even though I retire with SS in June. Your income should be enough for a modest living in Cebu from what I also pick up on the forum. As far as your direct deposit, will depend on your specific bank. It would be best to keep it deposited into a US bank, but you might have to change to a different bank. Others on this forum who are already on the ground in Cebu can suggest which banks to use. I will have to do the same thing as far as changing banks.

Since I have been using PNB to send money to my wife's family, I will probably keep that system going for me also and just get a PNB ATM card. The account is already set up.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the PI, especially since it sounds like you never got stationed there. I did three tours there with extentions on each one plus went back as a civilian in 87, but havn't made it to Cebu yet. Was always on Luzon...

Maybe will see you there, if you are still there or change your mind about going in June....as that is 3-4 months of lots of rain. Like the monsoons in VN.

Jim

You're probably right about the rain...It will probably be around October before I can save up enough money to comfortably go anyway.

In regards to the banking, I just opened an HSBC online savings account that has an ATM card so that I shouldn't have any problems when I get there. My small home-town bank here is probably too small to give me much service internationally. To show you how small this bank is, my account number is only 5 digits!!! I wouldn't even attempt to have them send money to the Phillipines ! So, with my bank ATM, HSBC ATM and PayPal ATM I should be good to go once I check in with GoodSamaritan at the Bank of Commerce to tie it all together!

I'll let you know when I have bought my ticket and my plans are firmed up.. I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow forum members for a beer (or six) when I get there!!

Dennis

I would not worry about the rainy season in Cebu. For one thing, it's not like Luzon where there is a pronounced and predictable wet season. Cebu is quite stable in that regard and off the typical path of tropical storms and Typhoons, unlike Luzon. Much of the rain in Cebu's wetter season comes at night for some reason.

dennis1105
I would not worry about the rainy season in Cebu. For one thing, it's not like Luzon where there is a pronounced and predictable wet season. Cebu is quite stable in that regard and off the typical path of tropical storms and Typhoons, unlike Luzon. Much of the rain in Cebu's wetter season comes at night for some reason.

Thanks for the info Bob!! I'm not concerned about storms unless one happens while I'm landing! I've been through typhoons in Taiwan and Viet Nam so, I'm not entirely a stranger to that sort of thing. Of course, that was a lifetime ago!

I'm really getting excited (and nervous) about the prospect of relocating to Cebu. My family (sister and Mother) of course don't understand why I would want to do such a crazy thing. Neither of them has ever been outside the US so explaining it to them is like talking to a brick wall. They of course think there is no world outside the borders of the US and, if there is, it's full of terrorists.....Oh well...

Dennis

Welcome Dennis;

I am new here myself, although I can not offer any assistance to you, I just thought I would say hello and wish you the best on your relocation.

Take care.

Steve

dennis1105
Welcome Dennis;

I am new here myself, although I can not offer any assistance to you, I just thought I would say hello and wish you the best on your relocation.

Take care.

Steve

Thank you Bilko!

Having lurked on this forum for a while, I know that you are going to set up a site to host videos and such for the forum.. that should be enjoyable !

Are you going to re-locate to Cebu in the future? If so, I'll see you later this year!!

Dennis

Thank you Bilko!

Having lurked on this forum for a while, I know that you are going to set up a site to host videos and such for the forum.. that should be enjoyable !

Are you going to re-locate to Cebu in the future? If so, I'll see you later this year!!

Dennis

I am considering it, we will see what the little lady and I decide. Most likely live here in Canada for a few years and move back there to retire. Currently I run my own game development studio, so it is tough to pack up and leave.... Once I get some more titles under my belt I am planning on retiring young. Time will tell I guess. I am planning on coming to Cebu in 2009, so we should setup and event to meet up, all members included, and have a few beers and chat. Once I get this site up we will have all of that contact info and tools available to us all. It should be up very soon, just working out the bugs before it goes live.

Talk soon.

Steve

dennis1105
hi DENNis..

nice to hear that u choose CEBU to be the place to stay...

Hi yeyeng!

I did a lot of research and searching for info on the forum and Cebu seems to be the best place to settle down...The central location, the number of expats that are there and the convenience of having everything in one place are what motivated me to choose Cebu. I'll be saving as much money as I can in the coming months and get there as soon as I can do it comfortably. Maybe I'll see you there!

Dennis