British lawmaker critically wounded in shooting

:(

DEVELOPING: A gunman who apparently shouted "Britain First" shot and critically wounded a member of British Parliament Thursday, police and local media reported. MORE

rizla

An MP is in a critical condition after she was shot and stabbed during an attack in her constituency.

Eyewitnesses said Jo Cox, Labour MP for Batley and Spen, was left bleeding on the floor by her attacker. A man also suffered slight injuries.

A 52-year-old man was arrested near Market Street, Birstall, West Yorkshire Police said. The MP holds a weekly advice surgery nearby.

Ms Cox's assistant confirmed she had been attacked.

The MP was taken by air ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary, where armed police are stationed outside.

Live updates on this story

It is understood the MP had held a surgery at Birstall Library before the attack.

'People screaming'

Cafe owner Clarke Rothwell, who witnessed the attack, said he heard a "loud popping noise that sounded like a balloon burst - a loud balloon".

"When I looked round there's a man stood there in his 50s with a white baseball cap on and a jacket with a gun, an old fashioned looking gun in his hand," he said.

"He shot this lady once and then he shot her again, he fell to the floor, leant over shot her once more in the face area.

"Somebody tried to grab him, wrestling with him and then he wielded a knife, like a hunting knife, just started lunging at her with a knife half a dozen times. People were screaming and running from the area".

Eyewitness Hithem Ben Abdallah, said the 41-year-old mother of two was left lying and bleeding on the pavement after the incident.

_89995907_mp_w_yorkshire_map624.pngImage captionIt is understood the MP was holding a surgery at Birstall Library before the attack.

Mr Abdallah, 56, was in a cafe next door to the library shortly after 13:00 BST when he heard screaming and went outside.

"There was a guy who was being very brave and another guy with a white baseball cap who he was trying to control and the man in the baseball cap suddenly pulled a gun from his bag".

After a brief scuffle, he said the man stepped back and the MP became involved.

Mr Abdallah said the weapon had "looked handmade" and a man who had been wrestling with the gunman continued even after seeing the gun.

He said: "The man stepped back with the gun and fired it and then he fired a second shot, as he was firing he was looking down at the ground."

"He was kicking her as she was lying on the floor", he said.

BBC  news

Scotsbloke

Horrible stuff.  ITV reporting an eyewitness account that the gunman shouted "Britain First" just before the attack and both sides of the referendum debate have suspended campaigning - which is the right thing to do.

• Like 2
Skywalker

William Hague has said she is dead.

Paul

Surely this couldn't have occurred in England. There are very strict gun laws in place.

• Like 4
sugbu777

MP Jo Cox has succumbed to her wounds from stabbing and shooting.

Paul

MP Jo Cox has succumbed to her wounds from stabbing and shooting.

They should outlaw knives too, then. That will stop this sort of thing from happening in the future.

• Like 3

It was a makeshift shotgun he fired the second shot into her face and then proceeded to stab her and kick her. 52 years old male.

An MP has died after she was shot and stabbed in a "horrific" assault in her constituency, police have said.

Jo Cox, Labour MP for Batley and Spen, was left bleeding on the ground after the attack in Birstall, West Yorkshire. A man was arrested nearby.

One eyewitness told the BBC they heard her attacker shout "put Britain first" at least twice beforehand.

Tributes flooded in from politicians including David Cameron, Jeremy Corbyn and US Secretary of State John Kerry.

Mrs Cox's husband Brendan said she would want people "to unite to fight against the hatred that killed her."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36550304

• Like 1
Kahuna

R.I.P.  My condolences to the members affected here by this tragedy.  

• Like 1
Scotsbloke

R.I.P.  My condolences to the members affected here by this tragedy.  

Good post, Kahuna.  I watched the Beeb earlier and she came across as a thoroughly decent and committed woman.  She also had two wee bairns aged 3 and 5. Really sad.

• Like 4

Yes Sad but with so many delusional people in modern society this will not be the last. RIP

• Like 1

:rip:

Busted Dick

I lived about a mile or so from the scene of this murder, until I moved to Cebu on a full-time basis in February.  An organisation called Britain First have been trying to gain a foothold in the area for a few years.  They and their fellow idiots, the English Defence League, regularly hold protests and demonstrations in the area, typically attended by about 20 scumbags, trying to stir up racial hatred.  Fortunately, most of the local people just ignore them but it's inevitable that some individuals are attracted to them.

I didn't know the local MP, Jo Cox, but it seems that she was a good person who was committed to assisting and representing the best interests of her constituents.  She certainly did not deserve to die in such a manner.  RIP.

• Like 3
Davaoeno

Surely this couldn't have occurred in England. There are very strict gun laws in place.

A woman is dead and you chose to take advantage of her death to make a political pro gun comment ???   And in the News sub-forum . 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 5