Sign in to follow this  
shadow

CRBA in Manila, warning

shadow

US Embassy Manila seems to be under the impression that everyone lives in Manila. A client sent in his CRBA packet two weeks ago. He lives in a remote area of Easter Samar.  This morning he received this email from them. Note that he did not even recieve this message 3 business days before his appointment;

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 8:18, Manila, CRBAappointment

Dear Sir/Madam:

We received your mail-in application request for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) appointment.

Your appointment with the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit at U.S. Embassy Manila is on  June 20, 2016 at8:45 AM.  Your appointment time is not the same as your interview time.  Interview times depend on the number of applicants who appear for their appointments as well as the length of processing time for each case.

Please arrive at the Embassy thirty minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.  The Embassy is located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, 1000 Manila.

Please bring the child/applicant, photos, originals of all required documents, I.D, and all application fees with you on the day of your appointment. 

Please be aware that the rules for emergency re-schedules are strict, and a consular officer will determine if your situation meets the standard for an emergency.  If your situation is not considered an emergency, you will need to proceed with the appointment given to you. The Embassy will only entertain requests for EMERGENCY reschedulesTHREE (3) BUSINESS days prior to the appointment. Applicants who fail to show up for their scheduled appointments will need to start the appointment request process from the beginning.           

Sincerely, 

Citizenship & Passport Unit

American Citizen Services |  Embassy of the United States of America  |  Manila, Philippines

USMC-Retired

That is crazy because it says bring everything to include the individuals. But then it says interview times are diffrent. Do they interview the children? Mine were to young so I just showed up then they processed it.

shadow

That is crazy because it says bring everything to include the individuals. But then it says interview times are diffrent. Do they interview the children? Mine were to young so I just showed up then they processed it.

Yes, they wanted him to bring the kid. He didn't make it to the interview, and they have not given him a new interview date yet.

SkyMan

I agree that if rescheduling requires 3 day notice then they have to give you more than 3 days notice of the appointment.  But if you apply for something like this you need to be ready to jump when they say jump whether you live in the boonies or not.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

USMC-Retired

Sad it is multiple trips for a single document. What did they do at the appointment just collect that paper?

shadow

I agree that if rescheduling requires 3 day notice then they have to give you more than 3 days notice of the appointment.  But if you apply for something like this you need to be ready to jump when they say jump whether you live in the boonies or not.

Not everyone has their own personal helicopter.

Monsoon

Sad it is multiple trips for a single document. What did they do at the appointment just collect that paper?

CRBAs are all by mail in to get the appointment now. So you send all your documents in with the application and wait for them to contact you with an appointment. 

No more scheduling your own appointment online. 

SkyMan

Not everyone has their own personal helicopter.

Their choice to live in the boonies.  Part of that choice is difficulty getting to civilization.

Edited by SkyMan

State Trooper

Their choice to live in the boonies.  Part of that choice is difficulty getting to civilization.

Well Excuuuuuuuse us. for choosing to live outside crappy Manila. and then the US Embassy being so intolerant and inconsiderate of US citizens who dont live within 3 hours of them.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

I can't think of too many places in the Philippines where you are more than 3 days from Manila by some means of available transportation... :cool:

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

shadow

I can't think of too many places in the Philippines where you are more than 3 days from Manila by some means of available transportation...

True, but even from Duma if I have to book within 3 days often ticket prices are 4-5 times what they are just 5 days out. And, travelling on short notice with a kid...

The Embassy wants you to cancel at least three working days in advance, it seems they should at least set the appointment farther away than that.

Now, since he could not cancel in time (because he was not even notified in time), he has to send the paperwork all over again?

What BS!

Oh well, it gives those looking down their noses, something to put down those who live in the province about, so I guess it does serve a purpose.

• Like 1

Jawny

True, but even from Duma if I have to book within 3 days often ticket prices are 4-5 times what they are just 5 days out. And, travelling on short notice with a kid...

The Embassy wants you to cancel at least three working days in advance, it seems they should at least set the appointment farther away than that.

Now, since he could not cancel in time (because he was not even notified in time), he has to send the paperwork all over again?

What BS!

Oh well, it gives those looking down their noses, something to put down those who live in the province about, so I guess it does serve a purpose.

I've always had the impression that the embassy staffs, worldwide, are actually managed more by the clerical and low level staff than the actual bureaucrats. The foreign service officers rely upon these staff to manage the day to day functions of the State

Department. So, when the clerical staff make complaints that there are just too many cancelled activities, the bureaucrats react by developing some sort of "guidance".

I went through an immigration visa application process once and had a local national (not a consular officer) tell me that there shouldn't be any blanks in a portion of the forms. We explained the blanks were there because every here was nothing to report and we were being honest and clear. The clerk was of course trying to help, but simply said, "better to make something up". In effect, lie on the forms and be prepared to explain the lie. In the mind of the clerk, better to lie than risk being asked why there are blanks. A clerks way of thinking.

Regrettably, this means an "emergency" gets judged by some bureaucrat and not the citizen in need of support. A cancelled ferry, a sick child, or any number of events can lead to someone missing an appointment. I think the proper phrase here is "Shit Happens".

Of course some of the LinC members take on the same attitude toward their provincial brethren, mocking them for choosing to live distant from the NCR. So much for the team spirit.

I had a doctor here once tell me that it's better to come for an exam any day except Wednesday. He had deliberately set aside that day for his patients who lived further away and had long bus rides to make get their exams. Seems like the embassy staff is large enough to be accommodating in a fashion like this and not so strict with the people they serve.

I've had to deal with a wide variety of USA government agencies, but the State Department is the only one which seems to feel tney are untouchable and can treat their fellow citizens badly of they choose to.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

I've always had the impression that the embassy staffs, worldwide, are actually managed more by the clerical and low level staff than the actual bureaucrats. The foreign service officers rely upon these staff to manage the day to day functions of the State

Department. So, when the clerical staff make complaints that there are just too many cancelled activities, the bureaucrats react by developing some sort of "guidance".

I went through an immigration visa application process once and had a local national (not a consular officer) tell me that there shouldn't be any blanks in a portion of the forms. We explained the blanks were there because every here was nothing to report and we were being honest and clear. The clerk was of course trying to help, but simply said, "better to make something up". In effect, lie on the forms and be prepared to explain the lie. In the mind of the clerk, better to lie than risk being asked why there are blanks. A clerks way of thinking.

Regrettably, this means an "emergency" gets judged by some bureaucrat and not the citizen in need of support. A cancelled ferry, a sick child, or any number of events can lead to someone missing an appointment. I think the proper phrase here is "Shit Happens".

Of course some of the LinC members take on the same attitude toward their provincial brethren, mocking them for choosing to live distant from the NCR. So much for the team spirit.

I had a doctor here once tell me that it's better to come for an exam any day except Wednesday. He had deliberately set aside that day for his patients who lived further away and had long bus rides to make get their exams. Seems like the embassy staff is large enough to be accommodating in a fashion like this and not so strict with the people they serve.

I've had to deal with a wide variety of USA government agencies, but the State Department is the only one which seems to feel tney are untouchable and can treat their fellow citizens badly of they choose to.

I would imagine that 90%+ of LinC members don't live in NCR. I'm not even sure any of those posting in the thread are in the NCR, so who's giving you attitude. Skyman's post doesn't count... :biggrin_01:

If someone had a one month notice. They would still probably come over the day before or the day of. In which case, any of the emergencies you mentioned above could still prevent them from making their appointment.

As you said, Shit happens. 

As for the team spirit, are you talking about LinC members or the embassy staff.

USMC-Retired

I am so glad this process is complete for me.  

When I did the CRBA it was easy showed up at the consulate in Cebu with papers, photos and everything.   Then I just waited for it to happen.   I did not need an appointment, or have to wait in any extra long line. 

People are really missing John about now.   Life was alot easier then. 

• Like 2

cebubird

"State Department feel they are untouchable"

Just recently heard a discussion about this very thing by former/current government officials from different branches of government, and the overriding feeling was that the State Department has become a government unto itself, and indeed behaving as untouchable by anyone else.