Sign in to follow this  
rainymike

Caution if buying Chinese made rebar

rep1

so... full standard for six times?

SkyMan

The standards for GI pipe include dimensions like thickness, and it seems well understood that the half standard stuff is thinner..  or may be thinner. 
I got some pipe once where the threads wouldn't fit the standard fittings.  Attempting to rethread with a Rigid threader also failed because the pipe was too thin.  I now stay with Eagle brand which I believe is made in the RP.
  • Like 1

Skywalker

This from the BBC:

Over the past few months, one part of the UK economy, the steel industry, has been grabbing the news headlines, but for all the wrong reasons.

The announcement by India's Tata Steel that it plans to sell its UK steel business,putting thousands of jobs at risk, is the latest blow to an industry which has seen a succession of job cuts.

At the start of this year, Tata, which currently employs 15,000 in the UK,announced plans for 1,050 job cuts, on top of the 1,200 it axed in October 2015 and the 720 it cut last summer.

Other firms have played their part in what amounts to an industry-wide cull. In October, Thailand's SSI announced it was closing down its Redcar works with the loss of 2,200 jobs, then parts of Caparo Industries' steel operations went into administration putting 1,700 jobs potentially at risk.

The steel industry says it has been hit by a combination of factors: high UK energy prices, the extra cost of climate change policies, and competition from China - there have been allegations that Chinese steel is being sold in the UK at unrealistically low prices.

​Edit:  So the UK steel industry is massively affected by Chinese steel dumping.  I don't know the position in the USA.

Edited by Skywalker

rep1

high UK energy prices, the extra cost of climate change policies, and competition from China - there have been allegations that Chinese steel is being sold in the UK at unrealistically low prices.

The UK government is not helping either. Doesn't UK still have oil fields? Energy could be cheap, climate policies could be dropped. UK still produces higher quality steel, no?

The cost of production in China isn't actually low as people generally imagine. Energy (arbitrary high by state monopoly), transport (road fees), tax, corruption. And salary has been rising too fast.

SkyMan

the extra cost of climate change policies, and competition from China
So the cost of UK global warming policies is closing down the UK steel industry so that steel will come from China where they don't shiv a git about the weather.  This is a win for the GW alarmists, right?

Skywalker

So the cost of UK global warming policies is closing down the UK steel industry

I rather suspect the global warming policies are coming out of Brussels rather than Westminster, since the EU wants a level playing field in the EU.  The Chinese are also unencumbered by a strict Health and Safety regime which has an impact on productivity costs.

As with pretty much all goods coming out of China, there often appears to be quality issues.  Let the buyer beware.

• Like 2

to_dave007

I got some pipe once where the threads wouldn't fit the standard fittings.  Attempting to rethread with a Rigid threader also failed because the pipe was too thin.  I now stay with Eagle brand which I believe is made in the RP.

I have some Atlanta blue 2" PVC pipe, sitting next to one piece of Diamond 2" PVC pipe.  Both leftovers from 2 deep well efforts (one that failed last summer in mountain).  I didn't measure it, but the Atlanta pipe has a MUCH THICKER wall than the Diamond.  Easily visible to the eye.  The Atlanta stuff is made in PI, and the old timer who does deep wells for a living out here in Tuburan advises that Atlanta is the best