It seems that foreigners can get justice in the Philippines courts !

spydoo

Nope.  But wrongly accused.  And for some that's tantamount to guilty!   :beer2:

Not to me it isn't. Sorry for your troubles.

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• contraman

• RogerDuMond

• Davaoeno

• Kreole

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone should write down the attorney's number.

He looks pretty darned guilty in that picture and that's good enough for me!

Or have USD 2.5 million in cash to bargain with

musicman666

Weird....the thread title mentions a foreigner.

Not if you are a foreigner in the Philippines :idontknow:

Do people really have personal experience or fact to back that up?

The only discrimination I noticed is that guards usually do search more seriously on locals and ignore most foreigners.

quit_yume

Just wondering,  am i, as a porener, eligible to receive the reward Duterte promised for killing a drug dealer?

Headshot

Do people really have personal experience or fact to back that up?

If you have to ask that question, go back and read the entire Ella Joy Pique topic. After you do that, the answer will be readily apparent to you.

Just wondering,  am i, as a porener, eligible to receive the reward Duterte promised for killing a drug dealer?

In most cases, if you have to ask, the answer is probably, "No."

However, they can certainly collect the reward on you if you are (or if somebody says you are) dealing drugs. If foreigners want to stay out of trouble in the Philippines, they need to stay squeaky white. Just dabbling into the illegal or the immoral will put you in a position you may not be able to get yourself out of.

Headshot

since everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty

If you truly believe that, then you need to sue the university that awarded your law degree. If you are accused of a sex crime, you must prove that you are innocent, since the accuser's word will almost always be taken over the word of the accused in court (even without any physical evidence). That is the case in the Philippines just as it is in the US. I would be surprised if it isn't the case in Canada as well. In many places, removal of the statute of limitations for sex crimes has allowed accusers to come out of the woodwork reporting supposed crimes that might have occurred decades before. There is no physical evidence in most cases, but they still often result in guilty verdicts.

Of course, in the Philippines, that mentality extends far beyond sex crimes, at least where foreigners are involved.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

If you have to ask that question, go back and read the entire Ella Joy Pique topic. After you do that, the answer will be readily apparent to you.

What does this have to do with discrimination? It's clearly a setup, the child witness is involved, and the policemen are either with the real criminals or under pressure to close the case as fast as possible. There is no issue with their mentality.

If you remove the assumption that just because they are police they should have a little bit of integrity and intention to seek justice or serve people, all becomes clear. It's not really uncommon in all sorts of professions here, no?

Edited by aqd
Kreole

You do realize that this is in the open forum that anybody can read and is monitored at times by government officials?

The deep corruption in the Philippines is so well known and frequently commented on in the international main street medium and even the Philippines press, that a couple of confirming comments here should not provoke any response.  The politicians and about every official in the RP have been throwing corruption allegations at each other forever, so I wouldn't get too excited about these comments. 

• Like 2
Davaoeno

If you truly believe that, then you need to sue the university that awarded your law degree. If you are accused of a sex crime, you must prove that you are innocent, since the accuser's word will almost always be taken over the word of the accused in court (even without any physical evidence). That is the case in the Philippines just as it is in the US. I would be surprised if it isn't the case in Canada as well. In many places, removal of the statute of limitations for sex crimes has allowed accusers to come out of the woodwork reporting supposed crimes that might have occurred decades before. There is no physical evidence in most cases, but they still often result in guilty verdicts.

Of course, in the Philippines, that mentality extends far beyond sex crimes, at least where foreigners are involved.

Just because the realilty of how the law is occasionally applied  does not match the theory  of how the law is supposed to be applied does not make the theory wrong .  

RogerDuMond

The deep corruption in the Philippines is so well known and frequently commented on in the international main street medium and even the Philippines press, that a couple of confirming comments here should not provoke any response.  The politicians and about every official in the RP have been throwing corruption allegations at each other forever, so I wouldn't get too excited about these comments. 

You are quite free to do what you want. I am just warning people as to what could happen and has happened before.

ozboy

Just out of curiosity here but hasn't it been stated many times from expats who say they would never live in their own countries, because of ''Big Brother'' continually watching their every move, The lack of freedom to do what they wanted.. eg. Not wear bike helmets and not too bothered about having a few drinks and driving...etc etc....So much freedom....

So now it is ''Watch what you say'' even on a public forum for expats....Keep a low profile....and stay safe....or yes..Helps a lot if you have contacts in high places to protect you in case something trivial happens to you...Guess there is a bit of contradiction somewhere.....

:welcome:

• Like 2
Kreole
re quite free to do what you want. I am just warning people as to what could happen and has happened before.

I actually appreciate your warning.  I made a similar warning about criticizing Deterte, since he has shown himself to be quite reactive to criticism.  And really, we should know better than to criticize or bitch or moan about the politics here, or the corruption since there is nothing we can do about it and it would be very bad to call attention to ourselves and this forum.  I think coming from countries where criticism is acceptable and speech is "free" but not really.  By the way, can you tell us about what has happened "before" so we can all understand that this is no joke?  Thanks

Edited by Kreole