Sign in to follow this  
Ricbak

Cautionary tale about travel Insurance

Ricbak

A foreigner here had a motorcycle accident and ended up with a head injury after initial evaluation at Silliman  Hospital in Dumaguete he was transferred to the intensive care unit of a hospital in Cebu.

Friends and family thought this was going to be covered by his travel insurance the local contact in Cebu being a company called Blue Horizon.

Then came reasons for denial of claim..........one Doctor had written possibly under the influence of alcohol although no breathalyser had been performed or blood taken to estimate Blood alcohol levels.

Then denial of claim 2: No driving licence

Having heard this story I checked my policy which in all honesty I had never really read

" If alcohol is involved in a motor vehicle accident the claim will be denied"

I am seeking clarification from the company of what happens if I am under the influence but riding in a motor vehicle driven by a driver who hasnt drunk as to whether I am covered?

"All persons driving a motorcycle must have an Australian motorcycle licence" .........I drive a bike in the Philippines but hold a Philippines licence

One of the other things the policy doesnt cover is Open water sailing...........dont know yet whether that might include some of the Banca trips I have made.

So check your policy and in this guys case wearing a helmet may have saved him from his significant head injury but  it would seem the Insurance companies will do anything to wriggle out of a claim.

cheers, Ricbak

• Like 2

Jawny

Thanks for sharing, although too bad the experience was unpleasant for the foreigner. I'm not surprised at the details which end up favoring the company. I've found that true in a number of instances here. Even reading the fine print is not always the way to evaluate the company as you are describing. The devil is in the details.

Jsteam

Hard way to find out! But hey, it is an insurance company!

Any way the can, they will screw you over! :wheel:

Jester

Hi this is Joe Blow I am insured by your company and suffered some bad injury's in a MC accident. 

Agent.    Why are you bothering us with this, we only sell insurance!   

Joe B, well who do I call?

Agent.   About what?

Joe B.   My injurys

Agent.  You should call a doctor

Joe B. No to get reimbursed for my medical bills.

Agent.   Is this a joke, nobody's going to do that. 

• Like 2

b7335920

A foreigner here had a motorcycle accident and ended up with a head injury after initial evaluation at Silliman  Hospital in Dumaguete he was transferred to the intensive care unit of a hospital in Cebu.

Friends and family thought this was going to be covered by his travel insurance the local contact in Cebu being a company called Blue Horizon.

Then came reasons for denial of claim..........one Doctor had written possibly under the influence of alcohol although no breathalyser had been performed or blood taken to estimate Blood alcohol levels.

Then denial of claim 2: No driving licence

Having heard this story I checked my policy which in all honesty I had never really read

" If alcohol is involved in a motor vehicle accident the claim will be denied"

I am seeking clarification from the company of what happens if I am under the influence but riding in a motor vehicle driven by a driver who hasnt drunk as to whether I am covered?

"All persons driving a motorcycle must have an Australian motorcycle licence" .........I drive a bike in the Philippines but hold a Philippines licence

One of the other things the policy doesnt cover is Open water sailing...........dont know yet whether that might include some of the Banca trips I have made.

So check your policy and in this guys case wearing a helmet may have saved him from his significant head injury but  it would seem the Insurance companies will do anything to wriggle out of a claim.

cheers, Ricbak

Good post...Ive read so many travelers insurance stories that came out bad,even when the details and restrictions are covered beforehand.If youre lucky enough to have good insurance in your home country, im starting to believe emergency airfare ticket money out of the philippines is your best "insurance"or at least an option