US Navy troops in Japan banned from drinking

thebob

US Navy troops in Japan banned from drinking after latest arrest

The US Navy has banned all its personnel in Japan from drinking alcohol and has restricted off-base activity after a sailor was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. Petty Officer Aimee Mejia, 21, was involved in a three-car accident on the island on Saturday, injuring two people, said police. It is the latest incident involving US troops based in Okinawa. 

Many Okinawans have long campaigned against the heavy US military presence.

Police said PO Mejia was driving the wrong way down a street and hit two vehicles. A local woman was left with a cracked breastbone.

Her alcohol levels were about six times the permissible level, Japan's NHK network reported.

Under the US Navy's order, personnel will not be allowed to drink at all, on or off base, and cannot leave the base grounds, except for commuting and necessary errands such as picking up their children or groceries.

The Navy said the "liberty curtailment" would remain in place until all personnel had gone through extra training, while alcohol was banned outright until officials "are comfortable that all personnel understand the impact of responsible behavior". 

"These measures are not taken lightly," Rear Adm Matthew Carter, Commander of Naval Forces Japan, said in a statement.

"For decades, we have enjoyed a strong relationship with the people of Japan. It is imperative that each Sailor understand how our actions affect that relationship, and the US-Japan Alliance as a whole."

The US military previously said it was co-operating with the Japanese investigation into the alleged drink-driving case, and expressed sympathies for the injured people

Okinawa is home to more than half of the 50,000 American military personnel based in Japan. Opposition to their presence has rumbled on for years, with anger resurfacing each time a military member is involved in a crime.

US personnel were already under curfew and observing a 30-day mourning period after a civilian military employee was arrested on suspicion of dumping a local woman's body last month.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has expressed outrage over the incident, and raised the issue with US President Barack Obama at the G7 summit in Japan.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36457448

• Like 2
Mandingo

Hmmmmmmmm......Japan deployment might not be so popular now lol.

rep1

you're welcome to redeploy in Taiwan!

• Like 1
CardiacKid

Okinawa has been a source of embarrassment to the USMC for years. Teenage and young adult Marines drunk out of their minds out to prove how macho they are. Poor leadership by the Navy and Marines have long ago worn out any welcome. For once I side with the Okinawans.  Turn the case over to the Japanese for prosecution and punishment. 

• Like 3
USMC-Retired

Punishing the mass for the crime of the few accomplishes nothing but quell the tide of anger.

SkyMan

The Navy said the "liberty curtailment" would remain in place until all personnel had gone through extra training,
This is typical military BS punishment through training.  Punish everyone who follows the rules with training for the acts of a few feckwads that won't get it regardless of the level of training they receive.  There's no one on that base that hasn't heard all the rules before.  By saying they are going to do some training it's like they are admitting they were lax and failed to train some troops when I doubt that's the case at all.  Some just don't and won't get it.
  • Like 4
ROCO22

I do not know what is is like today...however,

I imagine the BC Street bars (buy me drink girls) and all the whorehouses are in a panic... :taz:

• Like 1
thebob

I imagine the BC Street bars (buy me drink girls) and all the whorehouses are in a panic...

Almost the opposite, everyone is breathing a sigh of relief that there aren't rowdy servicemen roaming around anymore.

• Like 1
streak03

This is typical military BS punishment through training.  Punish everyone who follows the rules with training for the acts of a few feckwads that won't get it regardless of the level of training they receive.  There's no one on that base that hasn't heard all the rules before.  By saying they are going to do some training it's like they are admitting they were lax and failed to train some troops when I doubt that's the case at all.  Some just don't and won't get it.

I  agree but shit like this, and worse, has been doing on there for years, and I would imagine that the local population has about had enough.  I had heard of a plan a few years ago to move all the US forces currently in Okinawa to Guam.  Don't know if that's still on the table or not.  The command needs to put everyone there under something similar to the General Order #1 that we're under in Afghanistan.  Does it stop all incidents? No, but when someone violates that order, they get smashed in a hurry.

Edited by streak03
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

sure it sucks when everyone gets punished for the acts of a few

but i think they are wanting to stop punishing after the fact and rather try to cut em off at the pass

sometimes that's just the way it goes

• Like 2
ROCO22

Almost the opposite, everyone is breathing a sigh of relief that there aren't rowdy servicemen roaming around anymore.

The post was (tongue n cheek) about those (locals) whose earn a living from the bars....

In your rush to post.... you missed (or ignored)  the point.

Thanks for your contribution.

Nothing new here, keep moving.

• Like 2
rainymike

I think the point of taking such extreme steps make sense. It's not so much just about the individuals who did something bad, it's about the credibility of the US in managing their troops there with the local community. Seems there is a very long record of things happening that gets the community all bent out of shape.

Even when I lived in Hawaii, every once in a while a military related incident would occur that would get the local community very upset. Sometimes the military would transfer the offending soldier so he/she wouldn't get arrested by the locals. That really would piss off the locals and sometimes would lead to retribution against the military in general. It's sorry when a soldier gets punished by the locals for the sins of another. 

A smart commander would take appropriate steps to punish the offending soldier and take steps to manage the perceptions of the community (even if it meant some temporary restraints on all troops). Basic leadership skills for a country with troops all over the world.

• Like 3
Jack_be_nimble

US Navy should build a few man-made islands in the area like China has.  What da heck, won't fight 'em, copy 'em.

sugbu777

US forces currently in Okinawa to Guam.

Still in progress. Moving US Marines from Okinawa to Guam and some to Darwin area of Australia.

thebob

The post was (tongue n cheek) about those (locals) whose earn a living from the bars....

I think you are imagining times gone by. The average serviceman on "bar row " these days is already drunk from cheap liquor bought on base, because he is in debt. When trouble starts it just scares away locals who pay the bills.

Things have changed a lot in the last 30 years.