JohnSurrey: Estimated Power Needs

easydrifter

I have two 12v 150ah deep cycle VRLA batteries, grey colored Chinese kinda look like a ups battery, not automotive, P7,000. each. I scored three 120 watt panels from CDR-King for only P3,580. each and added them to the CDR-King 140 watt panel I had (took the bogus 120 watt panel I had down) changed from 12v to 24v,even my one panel is a little missmatched it seems to be OK, getting 350 watts out of 500 watts of panels. I'm not running my fridge with it much, think I need 2 more batteries now and I'll be there.

post-15659-0-93629200-1469681915_thumb.jpg

post-15659-0-70873600-1469682009_thumb.jpg

post-15659-0-01550900-1469682056_thumb.jpg

post-15659-0-49300000-1469683313_thumb.jpg

Edited by easydrifter
  • Like 2
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• easydrifter

• JohnSurrey

• AussieLex

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actual costs, I cannot tell you. Too many variables here. But, I can tell you how to get the figure you need in order to determine the size of your array, which would tell you what size your battery b

Plus take into account how 'dirty' your power is. If you're losing televisions and appliances due to power surges, brownouts, etc..., it might be best to just remain totally off-grid (my plan). I'm to

I don't know squat about technicalities or the math behind things but ... I spent a few years living on a boat using mainly solar power while at anchor in North Queensland and Darwin so the climate is

Posted Images

Paul

Sweet set up. How do you like that Schneider controller? 

easydrifter

The Xantrex C40 is a great PWM controller even if it's a little dated at this point (can't plug it in with computer software, no mppt) I just had to move a jumper to go from 12v to 24v and you turn the potentiometers by hand to set the charging parameters suggested by the battery manufacturer. It gets the batteries up to 29v by 10:00 am and holds them there for 1 hour before dropping down to 27v and floating. It will equalize too but I don't want to do that too often with the sealed batteries.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
easydrifter

Since I had an extra panel and battery laying around I decided to order this 350 watt pure sinewave inverter charger with solar charge controller (plus built in AC charger) it's one of the smaller versions of the 1,000 watt one I got from Lazada earlier (there is also a 500 watt version) I just got the smallest one to run stuff in my bedroom, lights, TV, modem, phone and laptop chargers. The thing works great, it's 12 volt and I plug a couple of 12 volt lights and usb charger into the front of it which work even while the inverter is turned off (not drawing any juice by idling the low frequency transformer). I think they are made by Xindun in China and distributed by Hamilton Inc. in Manila who were very helpful on the phone. They are an upgraded model and look different than the picture on Lazada. Just wanted to let you guys know they do work well if anyone is interested.

post-15659-0-13244100-1475119494_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Since I had an extra panel and battery laying around

So, how many watts of panels do you have generating now?

easydrifter

I only have one 120 watt panel and a car battery on my 350 watt inverter right now, need to get another panel and battery for it, but still have 500 watts of panels on my 24v system. My 1,000 watt inverter will start my fridge fine but runs the batteries down too fast when the sun is not shining.