JohnSurrey: Estimated Power Needs

Paul

Plus take into account how 'dirty' your power is. If you're losing televisions and appliances due to power surges, brownouts, etc..., it might be best to just remain totally off-grid (my plan). I'm totally off-grid at my ranch in Hawaii, but not because of the power. It's because the cost to bring electricity to my place was last estimated around $120,000. I love having lights and power to everything though when I see the town of Hilo go dark from a storm or electrical disturbance! :)

DEFINITELY one major positive to having off-grid power - clean, reliable, stable power. I LOVE my 300 watts MorningStar SureSine Power Inverter. 

SI-300-220V.png

• Like 2
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• easydrifter

• JohnSurrey

• AussieLex

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actual costs, I cannot tell you. Too many variables here. But, I can tell you how to get the figure you need in order to determine the size of your array, which would tell you what size your battery b

Plus take into account how 'dirty' your power is. If you're losing televisions and appliances due to power surges, brownouts, etc..., it might be best to just remain totally off-grid (my plan). I'm to

I don't know squat about technicalities or the math behind things but ... I spent a few years living on a boat using mainly solar power while at anchor in North Queensland and Darwin so the climate is

Posted Images

JohnSurrey

Actual costs, I cannot tell you. Too many variables here. But, I can tell you how to get the figure you need in order to determine the size of your array, which would tell you what size your battery bank would need to be, and the size and type of the best controller suited for you.

Firstly, the best way to determine loads is not by reading the specs label on appliances, but to check the actual usage of necessary appliances with a power meter.

If you do an internet search, you will end up with a useful meter that looks something like this: 

attachicon.gifmain_p4400.jpg

Plug each appliance into the meter, and the meter into a power point in your home. Over any time period, you can calculate usage of said appliance. Typically, this would be anywhere from 24 to 48 hours. Many of these power meters will show low and high power usage, current voltage, estimated cost of running the appliance, cycles (frequency of the power coming into your home), etc. 

Secondly, I will give you some examples, based on appliances you listed above, to estimate your particular power usage. Let's assume the following are the actual ratings for each appliance listed.

1 - LED television. 50 watts

1 - Refrigerator* - 120 watts

1 - 1/2 hp air con* - 370 watts

1 - Rice cooker - 400 watts

1 - Water kettle - 1,800 watts

? - Lights - ??

So, if the above figures are what each appliance, on average, would use - then multiply the wattage rating by each appliance's usage, in hours, to get total watt hours used over the course of a day. 

So, the formula is: (watts used) X (hours powered) = (watt hours consumed per day)

Now, let's assume you use each appliance for the time lengths listed, below. I will list total watt hours of each appliance, consumed.

1 - LED television - powered 5 hours per day - 250 watt hours

1 - Refrigerator* - powered 14 hours per day - 1,680 watt hours

1 - 1/2 hp air con* - powered 02 hours per day - 740 watt hours

1 - Rice cookerǂ - powered 15 minutes per day - 100 watt hours

1 - Water kettleǂ - powered 15 minutes per day - 450 watt hours

Add the total watt hours each appliance has consumed to get the total watt hours your home consumes in a 24 hours period.

The total watt hours consumed for this day, is 3,020. Or, it could be called 3.02 kWh.

* If these appliances have inverter compressor technology, they will run significantly more efficient than typical appliances using the old style compressors. Refrigerators using the older style compressors, average about 14 hours per day, cooling.

ǂ Take a few moments to look at the labels on each of these appliances. You will be surprised as to how many watts they are actually rated for, regarding power consumption.

Anyway, once you have the total watt hours, you can then start calculating for your specific system needs.

I was checking our Electric Bill a couple of months ago and came up with this:

We used 417 Kilowatts of electricity over 34 days to 14th April 2016                                 KW Hours Use Assumed Days Per Day Total Cost Cost per KW 417   34 12.26471 4,503.00 10.79856115                 Watts Kwatt/Day   Where's it going?     418.2 4,504.73               Refrigerator 24 150 3.60 1,321.74   LED TV 6 30 0.24 88.12   Air Con 12 500 6 2,202.91   Wifi Router 24 6 0.14 51.40   Cell Phone Charger 1 24 5 0.12 44.06   Cell Phone Charger 2 24 5 0.12 44.06   Radio/Clock 6 3 0.02 7.34   Tablet 24 5 0.12 44.06   LightBulb 1 24 20 0.48 176.23   LightBulb 2 6 20 0.12 44.06   LightBulb 3 4 20 0.08 29.37   LightBulb 4 4 20 0.08 29.37   LightBulb 5 2 20 0.04 14.69   LightBulb 6 12 20 0.24 88.12   LightBulb 7 12 20 0.24 88.12   LapTop Computer 3 60 0.18 66.09   Blender     0.24 75 ? Kettle     0.24 90 ?

I know these figures are averages but I suspect they're reasonably close as it all ties back to what LeycoIV charge us...

JohnSurrey

Hmmm... so you cannot just paste your table from Excel eh...

post-12448-0-33283100-1465397817_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
JohnSurrey

So I use 10 to 12 kwatts each day...given that my bills vary between 3k peso and 4k peso each month...

We get good sun on the roof for maybe 6 to 7 hours a day...

Our back roof is approx. 30 m

Paul

So I use 10 to 12 kwatts each day...given that my bills vary between 3k peso and 4k peso each month...

We get good sun on the roof for maybe 6 to 7 hours a day...

Our back roof is approx. 30 m

I would strongly suggest cutting back on your electrical usage. 

"Good" Sun would be 6 hours per day, there. Would that be completely and totally unobstructed sun? 

ANY shading of solar panels will completely wipe out their production, even if on a small corner of a given panel. 

Paul

If you are talking about an off-grid system, you would need a battery bank that would store twice that amount, due to not taking deep cycle batteries below 50% DOD (Depth of Discharge). 24 kilowatts of batteries would cost more than you would probably want to pay. Just to give you an idea here. 

To keep your voltage drop to a minimum, you would have to go to at least 48vdc on your batteries.

24 kw x 48 = 500 AH of batteries, at 48volts. 

That would run, oh - $5,500 USD, about? Probably more in the Philippines. I am using US estimates here. 

Roughly estimating the solar array, at 300 watts panels, would run over $3,000 USD.

That's not even into the controllers, wiring, installation, etc.

If you wish to run off solar full time, as I originally stated, reduce your power usage first, then begin to calculate what you MUST have running. Only NEEDs, in order to get the costs down. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
easydrifter

Lazada is listing a 1000W pure sine wave inverter with low frequency toroidal transformer and LED meters (it weighs 9.5 Kilos) delivered to your door for P9,990. I want to get one because I think it would start my fridge that runs on 130 watts, and the price is nice. It comes from Hamilton Inc in Manila (Chinese built) Sorry I can't figure out how to link it on here (even I have Docs on my phone and someone explained it to me once). I called them and they assured me that it was 60HZ.

easydrifter

I'm trying to put some pics on here with "Dropbox" that Hamilton emailed to me.

post-15659-0-81548500-1465529973_thumb.jpg

post-15659-0-37046900-1465530105_thumb.jpg

post-15659-0-73411300-1465530147_thumb.jpg

post-15659-0-45100900-1465530206.jpg

thebob

Lazada is listing a 1000W pure sine wave inverter with low frequency toroidal transformer and LED meters (it weighs 9.5 Kilos) delivered to your door for P9,990.

http://www.lazada.com.ph/xf-1000-watts-solar-pure-sine-wave-inverter-3474100.html

Nowhere near enough information to give an opinion.

Edited by thebob
JohnSurrey

I would strongly suggest cutting back on your electrical usage. "Good" Sun would be 6 hours per day, there. Would that be completely and totally unobstructed sun? ANY shading of solar panels will completely wipe out their production, even if on a small corner of a given panel.

I see - so forget about the Air Con and Refrigerator .... and I'm down to 2.6 to 3.0 kwatts each day ?

Yes we have good unobstructed sun.

Paul

I see - so forget about the Air Con and Refrigerator .... and I'm down to 2.6 to 3.0 kwatts each day ?

Yes we have good unobstructed sun.

Well, you seem fairly serious about this. I would suggest, in order to get accurate power usage, for you to buy one of those power meters I suggested in an earlier post, and start making your calculations. If you ask anyone who is voiced in solar energy generation, they will give you two initial pieces of advice, prior to you buying anything. 

1. Do not include anything you do not absolutely need, connected to your solar array. 

2. Verify power usage by every appliance, regardless of the numbers on the label, with a power meter.

Then, I would find a local solar guy to consult with, who can give you more accurate numbers on requirements. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
easydrifter

Well, I ordered that 1,000 watt pure sinewave inverter from Lazada and what I received today looks nothing like the one I pictured. In fact this one looks better because it's Orange. Maybe the same low frequency transformer inside though and this one has the added benefit of a 20 amp PWM solar charge controller built in, also I believe a 10 amp battery charger that charges the batteries when the ac power cord is plugged in, so a lot of features for P10,000. delivered by LBC. It weighs 13Kg, not 9Kg like the one I ordered. I tried it on my fridge and it started right up, pulled about 300 watts to start then settled down to 150 watts while running. I was pretty happy about that. The book that came with it is about as useless as tits on a boar, and not even for this particular model, I found more specs by searching on Alibaba.I guess the green circuit board on the bottom is the charge controller by looking at how it's wired in.

post-15659-0-83209200-1467294120_thumb.jpg post-15659-0-55121400-1467294283_thumb.jpg

post-15659-0-15128500-1467294434_thumb.jpg post-15659-0-96918700-1467294570_thumb.jpg

post-15659-0-94556100-1467296082_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Paul

Well, I ordered that 1,000 watt pure sinewave inverter from Lazada and what I received today looks nothing like the one I pictured. In fact this one looks better because it's Orange. Maybe the same low frequency transformer inside though and this one has the added benefit of a 20 amp PWM solar charge controller built in, also I believe a 10 amp battery charger that charges the batteries when the ac power cord is plugged in, so a lot of features for P10,000. delivered by LBC. It weighs 13Kg, not 9Kg like the one I ordered. I tried it on my fridge and it started right up, pulled about 300 watts to start then settled down to 150 watts while running. I was pretty happy about that. The book that came with it is about as useless as tits on a boar, and not even for this particular model, I found more specs by searching on Alibaba.I guess the green circuit board on the bottom is the charge controller by looking at how it's wired in.

What battery (ies) you running with it?