Sign in to follow this  
JohnSurrey

Home Security Advice?

JohnSurrey

We had someone poking around outside last night - 3 am ish... couple of people saw the guy and his two accomplices who were waiting 20 yards away... examined the bamboo fence and it was a little bit broken... we are being told they were probably trying to get to our air con - apparently they feed the air con some alcohol (probably rohypnol or something) to get the people inside sleeping soundly and then break in and take your goodies and rape your wife and daughters etc.

We've actually got outside lights but my wife stopped turning them on a while ago because the children end up playing next to our house at night... anyway they are back on tonight.

Just wondered what other precautions we might take, I'm thinking like:

Motion activated security lights:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/light-angel-motion-activated-stick-up-led-sensor-light-white-273857.html

And raising the fence height around the back to 8 foot, like it is at the front - perhaps we could put some blades in the top of the fence to deter people from trying to climb over it??

I cannot see much point in getting a fancy cctv and alarm system as I don't think there'd be anyone coming to our rescue - having said that - these stick on wireless door sensors might be a good idea

http://www.lazada.com.ph/generic-wireless-door-and-window-entry-burglar-alarm-sensor-system-986278.html

My wife is thinking we should get a gun... on account of the fact that the Police here don't respond and it's down to us to deter people from coming back etc.

I'm not a big fan of guns but obviously better to be safe than sorry.

rep1

Is your house surrounded by garden? Can you install mines traps? Or toxic plants? Their screams would definitely be able to warn everyone in the village.

I read somewhere foreigners cannot obtain the gun license, can you legally fire it? What about fire extinguisher or nail guns?

RogerDuMond

Just wondered what other precautions we might take

Get a big dog like a bullmastiff. They are big teddy bears and do well as inside dogs because they are not hyper, in fact they are quite lazy. They are family friendly. There is nothing Filipinos fear more than a big dog and if you have one, word travels fast.

• Like 5

PhilsFan

1) Install the motion lights.

2) Get a dog that looks intimidating.

3} Door sensors might be a good idea if they are loud enough.

4) Get some mace (or make your own in a spray bottle).

5) Bolo

6) Stun baton or baseball bat

7) Shotgun

Discuss and have a plan what the family will do in case of burglers/fire/typhoon. Post the procedures on your refridgerator.

Edited by PhilsFan
  • Like 1

Davaoeno

There is no  chance of them being under the influence of rohypnol.unless they drink some dissolved in a drink

apparently they feed the air con some alcohol (probably rohypnol or something) to get the people inside sleeping soundly and then break in and take your goodies and rape your wife and daughters etc.   
Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1

rep1

There is no  chance of them being under the influence of rohypnol.unless they drink some dissolved in a drink

oh I actually thought they have some level of sophistication... But what about CO?

lamoe

Always on outside lights can be a pain, motion sensors better.

Interior systems (infrared  for area - window sensors w/ battery back up and very loud siren)

You can install yourself and not that expensive.  Here about $300 USD, 15,000 P?

Something like this

http://www.fortresssecuritystore.com/gsm-b.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing_Shopping

gsm-b.jpg

The Fortress Security GSM-B kit is the perfect option for a Home or Business. The Kit comes with 10 door and window contacts and 3 motion sensors, making it a great option even for larger buildings. With a 130dB indoor siren and 130dB outdoor siren, your Neighbors will be alerted to the break in and any intruders inside will have 130 ear piercing reasons to get out. The GSM panel will autodial up to 6 numbers using a Landline, VOIP service and/or a GSM SIM card. If you choose to use a SIM card with this device, it can also send text alerts to up to 3 numbers.

The Fortress GSM-B allows you to install a full-scale monitored alarm in your home without incurring costly monthly fees. A totally wireless system, the main console monitors the remote sensors (see below) and triggers the alarm in case of an intrusion. At the same time, it'll send a text message or call you to notify you of a potential break-in. Enter 6 numbers to dial in case the first isn't answered, and 3 SMS numbers.

The GSM-B has both landline and GMS capabilities, allowing one as a backup. In case an intruder manages to cut your landline, the system will still function with the GSM dialer.

Dial in to arm or disarm the system, check the status or use the built-in intercom. This allows you to talk to anyone near the main console. (Intercom feature requires use of SIM card.)

Edited by lamoe

Buko Beach

Post a couple of pictures of areas around the exterior of your house.

Members here would be happy to point out any potential security issues that you might not have realized were there.

• Like 1

AussieLex

post-16302-0-20236300-1464970923.jpg

• Like 4

CardiacKid

Get a big dog like a bullmastiff. They are big teddy bears and do well as inside dogs because they are not hyper, in fact they are quite lazy. They are family friendly. There is nothing Filipinos fear more than a big dog and if you have one, word travels fast.

Train any dog not to accept food from strangers. MSG, (AJI-NO-MOTO) is the most common brand name is very toxic for dogs. Locals who are offended by your dog have been known to put MSG in a pandesal and throw it over the fence. It poisons your dog and death is agonizing. 

• Like 1

Davaoeno

oh I actually thought they have some level of sophistication... But what about CO?

you are quite right. They could back their car up to the house, attach a hole to the exhaust, and and the other end to your air con inlet and fill the house full of carbon monoxide gas.   I'm not quite sure how they would get the car over the bamboo fence though, nor find a hose long enough  .  Actually i think in order to get the concentration of CO high enough to do any good they would probably need a fleet of cars.  

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 5

Headshot

you are quite right. They could back their car up to the house, attach a hole to the exhaust, and and the other end to your air con inlet and fill the house full of carbon monoxide gas.   I'm not quite sure how they would get the car over the bamboo fence though, nor find a hose long enough  .  Actually i think in order to get the concentration of CO high enough to do any good they would probably need a fleet of cars.  

And of course ... that won't work if you have a split-type AC, since there is no external air intake.

Jawny

I believe the best way to protect your home from the type of trespass you're describing is to deter the trespass. Having the gun doesn't deter a thief, just harms them if they've gotten access. If you still want a weapon, they can be legally obtained but not by foreigners (many discussion threads on the topic here).

A dog is a good deterrent, but you may have to do some significant training to make them useful. Barking dogs tend to be so common here that they are little warning. However, a large dog is a great deterrent as there is a distinct fear of large dogs locally.

I think the motion detection lights is an excellent choice for discouraging trespass.

Having cctv might be of some use if you're determined to solve the crime. But, a simple hat can hide enough of the appearance to make it of limited use. Besides, it's not like there is a lot of crime solving that takes place here. Might be just as good to put up the camera covers as fake cctv, again to deter the trespass.

If you can add barbed wire to the fencing, that will help. However, determined thieves will overcome the wire. It is there more as a deterrent, to slow down the wannabe thief.

If you heard activity around the air conditioner, it was more likely they were considering stealing it. That happens regularly. By the time you figure out what is going on, they've made off with the AC.

Headshot

We have discussed security many times, and I think that if you are concerned about security, then a layered approach is probably best. Any single layer can be defeated, but when security systems are layered, it is much more difficult to defeat them all. Some things you may want to consider in a layered system might be...

Walls - tall enough to require climbing to get either in or out with some sort of security measure on top of the walls such as broken glass, spikes, electric wire, etc.

Outdoor lighting - both motion sensor controlled and switch controlled. Light up their life and they may change their minds.

Security grates on windows and solid doors with good locks (and deadbolts) - to prevent (or at least slow down) an intrusion into the home. It is important to remember that interior doors should also have locks as a secondary defense.

Dogs - both big intimidating dogs and little yappy dogs will deter anybody from trying to enter your home. Filipinos are afraid of big dogs, and little dogs will raise the alarm if anybody does try to enter. I would suggest that at least one of your dogs is inside the home. That way, it is much more difficult for potential home invaders to eliminate them as a threat.

An audible alarm - that will wake the neighbors if there is a home invasion. The sound of a siren will scare off all but the most determined home invader.

Weapons - at this point, if you are still worried about somebody entering you home intent on harming you or your family, then maybe you should consider a weapon. Handguns or shotguns spring to mind first, but a foreigner cannot legally own one (except in rare circumstances). However, your Filipina wife CAN legally own a firearm, and you may legally use it if you feel threatened inside your own home. That said, a bolo, bat or any sharp or blunt instrument could be used as a weapon. Use of a weapon is obviously the option of last resort to protect yourself or your family.

I won't say which of these layers is appropriate for any individual situation. Each individual has to answer that for themselves. Do NOT count on the police to respond quickly enough to a call for help to actually have any influence on the outcome. They only come after the fact to investigate what already happened. They don't prevent crime from happening, and they are NOT there to protect you or your property. Basically, you are on your own to provide your own security and deterrence system.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 4

Nangulo

Yeah, always on lights attract kids at night.  I had the same problem.  So I wired a small bell to a motion detector with flood lights.  When I was adjusting the motion detector the first night, all the kids in the neighborhood came over to watch the crazy kano making the lights light up and this bell go off.  They started jumping up and down in the street trying to do the same thing.  And I knew that when they got tired of their play, they would all go home and tell their parents.  Sure enough, everybody knows I have an alarm system, and I haven't been bothered.