Sign in to follow this  
aussiekangaroo

Ex Demanding I give her 250,000PHP, Does she really have a case?

thebob

If i were representing the wife at trial, and the husband said he didnt consider them to be living together exclusively as man and wife, the first question i would ask him would be " Sir, if you didnt consider yourselves to be living in an exclusive relationship then why did you go and get a marriage license ??"

This all swings on if she changed her residence to that of your condo. Most people usually leave all their paperwork at the address of their family home.

If so I'd reply that the marriage licence was a failed attempt to elevate the relationship to that level.

I'd be annoyed at her because she is "demanding" the money. If she just asked nicely I'd have a different attitude.

to_dave007

This all swings on if she changed her residence to that of your condo. Most people usually leave all their paperwork at the address of their family home.

If so I'd reply that the marriage licence was a failed attempt to elevate the relationship to that level.

I'd be annoyed at her because she is "demanding" the money. If she just asked nicely I'd have a different attitude.

Hmm..  perhaps OP should take this to trial, and spend the 250,000 peso to hire a lawyer, and spend 2 to 5 years in Filipino civil court, forcing him to come back to PI at the most inconvenient times, just so that he can watch a Filipino judge flip a coin to decide who is right and who is wrong.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2

Don.

The big problem is that if he does pay anything now, that money will be spent in just a few days.

She will just return again and again asking for more money.

He has already given her a sense of entitlement, and it will probably never stop.

This is one of the problems of owning anything in the Philippines.

It makes it so much more difficult to walk away from harassment and other problems.

USMC-Retired

Make her serve that demand letter or negotiate a settlement.   I would go for the latter and just move on or out of the Philippines.  

• Like 3

rep1

Hmm..  perhaps OP should take this to trial, and spend the 250,000 peso to hire a lawyer, and spend 2 to 5 years in Filipino civil court, forcing him to come back to PI at the most inconvenient times, just so that he can watch a Filipino judge flip a coin to decide who is right and who is wrong.

if he's outside of Philippines, why would he even care??

RogerDuMond
That was part of their relationship

I don't see where giving her money and paying for her boarding house since they broke up is part of their relationship.

Edited by RogerDuMond
  • Like 2

KID

I don't see where giving her money and paying for her boarding house since they broke up as part of their relationship.

Even when they were together he only visited for a few months a year so she was essentially just his condo manager who was on salary

Willing to bet that with a little digging he could find a few witlessness that she had a BF when he was not in country 

Edited by KID
  • Like 4

Lee

if he's outside of Philippines, why would he even care??

He might wish to come back someday.

• Like 3

thebob

I'd be interested to see exactly what the charge is. She is claiming that they are married by common law so is she seeking an annulment?

So far all we have is "She said her lawyer said." Doesn't sound very convincing to me. Ask for her lawyers name, and have your lawyer contact him.

rep1

He might wish to come back someday.

Based on all the court reviews here, I'm 100% certain he'd change his mind after going through it.

JohnSurrey

Interesting - the way I see it she acted as your agent - you sent her money and she paid it over to the developer or third party financier or whatever...

I suspect you didn't pay her a salary or have a formal record of what the deal was between you both etc.

I think you should get a lawyer and ask him what he/she thinks and be prepared to draw up a settlement agreement and pay her the 250k - sounds as if it might be cheap to me... I mean I suspect she could claim she was your "business partner" (she being the man on the ground in RP where you were investing) - would she then be entitled to 50% of the rental and capital appreciation value of the properties you acquired "together"...?

• Like 2

thebob

I mean I suspect she could claim she was your "business partner" (she being the man on the ground in RP where you were investing)

And of course she has supporting documents to show this... tax paid on earnings etc?

• Like 1

bernadette

get a lawyer so that you will have a clear answer

• Like 1

Paul

I don't see where giving her money and paying for her boarding house since they broke up is part of their relationship.

I may be wrong here. But, I don't think she held a gun to his head, forcing him to do that. Seems like this is on him, not her. 

I still say, pay the money. Have her sign whatever release he needs / wants, in front of a lawyer, stating she will not go after any further monies afterward.

I feel this will sort his issues with her. 

• Like 4

miles-high

I did not read the whole story but if the OP enjoyed being with her for 4 or 5 years, her companionship must have been priceless! I do not know how much you have to pay for a bar girl but suppose you pay 5k a night, that is PHP9,125,000.00 for 5 years!

Besides, he already offered 130K, another 120k is nothing... If I were him I would just pay her and have her sign a release and that will be it!

I think he is getting off easy by paying her 250K... Maybe he should make her a better offer she cannot refuse... :D

• Like 3