Sign in to follow this  
riklynbor

Alternative building materials

riklynbor

I am not sure if this will be a good topic or not but it can be with some participation.
I though of a idea for cheap roofing many years ago but never tried it but a while back I saw it done online.

I think it is a great idea especially now somebody has done it.
Enjoy this picture of alternative roofing.

Regards Rik

post-14249-0-82845800-1464590253_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

M.C.A.

Wow interesting and it should last a very long time another example of a roof that would work here 

post-1-0-90886500-1464609674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

AussieLex

I reckon it might last for many many years if applied properly...

I was looking at cool cool panels as a building material... many years ago we built deck up on a houseboat out of cool room panels very effectively ... was told similar panels are available here ...

billy

I am not sure if this will be a good topic or not but it can be with some participation.

I though of a idea for cheap roofing many years ago but never tried it but a while back I saw it done online.

Regards Rik

You might want to use it on your new house instead of that expensive roof you put on. Just think how many miles youd get out of it.

• Like 2

fred42

bottle-house.jpg

Nigeria-bottle-house-1.jpg

unusual-home-shingles-m.jpg

4377.png

Edited by fred42
  • Like 6

Paul

Regards Rik

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-04-03-18-07-23-1.jpg

Being as involved in rainwater harvesting as I am, this would NOT be a good choice for roofing - for that case.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

SumDumJoe

That is a great idea, I just wonder what the heat retention of those tires would be here in the Philippines. 

• Like 2

fred42

That is a great idea, I just wonder what the heat retention of those tires would be here in the Philippines. 

Apparently,rubber is an excellent insulator...Maybe thats one reason why they make wet suits out of it?

• Like 3

RogerDat

So that's where all the tags are!

• Like 2

AussieLex

I think when I build I will use bamboo for my roof like the example in the photos ... I am designing a house mainly built of bamboo with a back area for bathroom, dirty kitchen, laundry and small workspace out of concrete blocks or similar ...

post-16302-0-85835900-1464673449.jpg

post-16302-0-61081000-1464673459.jpg

• Like 1

M.C.A.

AussieLex  .......  I don't think you've been through a typhoon before?

• Like 1

fred42

Bamboo is damned strong.. Its biggest weakness is 1. Flying termites, 2. when its out in all weathers for long periods..

A roof like that needs its parts to be pre treated and soaked in Solignum for 24 hours and then re applied at least every 6 months..

Its OK for a garden shed but not for a long term living space IMO..

Edited by fred42
  • Like 2

AussieLex

I lived in North Queensland, (Port Douglas) and Darwin, Australia for the past 40 years, on my own yacht no less for part of that and I have skippered a variety of boats in the tropics ... believe me I have had first hand experience with cyclones, (typhoons but in the southern hemisphere), some I don't wish to repeat.  I also worked in the building industry for some years so am familiar with building practices and codes in tropical cyclone areas. I also know how to design, (draw plans) and build, (hands on) so think I will be pretty right. At this  point in time I am investigating several different building materials, still leaning towards using similar  to cool room panels but I really like bamboo as well ... I am in no hurry and don't intend to start anything new till next year at the earliest ...  Any concrete blocks I use I will make onsite and not the weak assed mix found in lots of blocks that crumble if touched, I know how to weld and have some plans somewhere for block making moulds ...

Edited by AussieLex
  • Like 2

riklynbor

You would need a open ceiling with plenty ventilation or some insulation. You could paint it a light color I guess?

riklynbor

I lived in North Queensland, (Port Douglas) and Darwin, Australia for the past 40 years, on my own yacht no less for part of that and I have skippered a variety of boats in the tropics ... believe me I have had first hand experience with cyclones, (typhoons but in the southern hemisphere), some I don't wish to repeat.  I also worked in the building industry for some years so am familiar with building practices and codes in tropical cyclone areas. I also know how to design, (draw plans) and build, (hands on) so think I will be pretty right. At this  point in time I am investigating several different building materials, still leaning towards using similar  to cool room panels but I really like bamboo as well ... I am in no hurry and don't intend to start anything new till next year at the earliest ...  Any concrete blocks I use I will make onsite and not the weak assed mix found in lots of blocks that crumble if touched, I know how to weld and have some plans somewhere for block making moulds ...

I used insulated roof panels on our house. There is a story on it here.