Sign in to follow this  
Sven

Attempted scam - Mactan airport yellow taxi

Sven

It has been a while since I have had any taxi driver in Cebu trying a scam. But as I arrived from abroad this week, a yellow airport taxi driver put on a fairly advanced one...

Well at least I am fairly certain it was a scam. Please correct me if I am wrong..!

So I landed at Mactan airport on Monday afternoon, and decided to take a taxi to my destination, a big Lapulapu hotel.

I knew it would tend to be around 200 pesos by white taxi, 300 by yellow taxi.

As I was tired and sleepy after the flight, and there was a queue for the white taxis, I decided to opt for a yellow one.

I did not ask in advance if this was a metered taxi. I believe all of them should be.

After driving a few hundred meters, the driver gave me a "Tarrif rates" card and said, those are the prices. It would be 600 pesos to my hotel.

I protested and said, please just use the meter. But he responded, there is no meter. He proceeded to explain, while white taxis have meters, yellow ones do not.

I could not see a meter in the cab. But I was tired and thought all of this was silly. After a bit of back and forth, I decided not to argue more at the time, but rather bring up the issue with hotel staff on arrival.

So upon arrival, a mighty argument ensued between the driver and a number of hotel staff.

It seemed none of them had heard about yellow taxis without meters.. but the driver stood his ground.

In the end, somehow the driver got convinced he could not win, and he accepted to take just normal pay.

So the end of the story was, I gave him p300 and he went on his merry way.

Now this experience was all rather uncomfortable, especially because the driver seemed convincing, totally firm, and otherwise professional. My girlfriend, who was also present and who is usually a good judge of people, thought he seemed honest enough.

The driver's rate card was also rather elaborate: Laminated, complete with every imaginable destination, and having several confusing columns for each - just the kind of thing that a Filipino bureaucrat would be likely to dream up for official purposes. See picture below.

Of course in hindsight, I notice there is no name or logo or the like in the document, much less any reference to an official body like LTFRB. Also, on the back were pictures of various tourist destinations like Moalboal etc - useful for discussing special trips.

I guess the rate / promotion card is entirely made-up, and quite possibly in use by many drivers. I think it is illegal but that it can easily fool any newcomer to Cebu.

Your thoughts? Have you seen this before?

And most importantly: Is use of a meter optional for yellow taxis?

I would hate to know that I am the one cheating an innocent and hard-working man out of several hundred pesos.

20160516_171716.jpg

shadow

It has been a while since I have had any taxi driver in Cebu trying a scam. But as I arrived from abroad this week, a yellow airport taxi driver put on a fairly advanced one...

Well at least I am fairly certain it was a scam. Please correct me if I am wrong..!

So I landed at Mactan airport on Monday afternoon, and decided to take a taxi to my destination, a big Lapulapu hotel.

I knew it would tend to be around 200 pesos by white taxi, 300 by yellow taxi.

As I was tired and sleepy after the flight, and there was a queue for the white taxis, I decided to opt for a yellow one.

I did not ask in advance if this was a metered taxi. I believe all of them should be.

After driving a few hundred meters, the driver gave me a "Tarrif rates" card and said, those are the prices. It would be 600 pesos to my hotel.

I protested and said, please just use the meter. But he responded, there is no meter. He proceeded to explain, while white taxis have meters, yellow ones do not.

I could not see a meter in the cab. But I was tired and thought all of this was silly. After a bit of back and forth, I decided not to argue more at the time, but rather bring up the issue with hotel staff on arrival.

So upon arrival, a mighty argument ensued between the driver and a number of hotel staff.

It seemed none of them had heard about yellow taxis without meters.. but the driver stood his ground.

In the end, somehow the driver got convinced he could not win, and he accepted to take just normal pay.

So the end of the story was, I gave him p300 and he went on his merry way.

Now this experience was all rather uncomfortable, especially because the driver seemed convincing, totally firm, and otherwise professional. My girlfriend, who was also present and who is usually a good judge of people, thought he seemed honest enough.

The driver's rate card was also rather elaborate: Laminated, complete with every imaginable destination, and having several confusing columns for each - just the kind of thing that a Filipino bureaucrat would be likely to dream up for official purposes. See picture below.

Of course in hindsight, I notice there is no name or logo or the like in the document, much less any reference to an official body like LTFRB. Also, on the back were pictures of various tourist destinations like Moalboal etc - useful for discussing special trips.

I guess the rate / promotion card is entirely made-up, and quite possibly in use by many drivers. I think it is illegal but that it can easily fool any newcomer to Cebu.

Your thoughts? Have you seen this before?

And most importantly: Is use of a meter optional for yellow taxis?

I would hate to know that I am the one cheating an innocent and hard-working man out of several hundred pesos.

20160516_171716.jpg

Old scam from Manila.  LTFRB would probably love your pictures and lic number, maybe the airport too...

http://ltfrb.gov.ph/main/getinvolved#sthash.eQWLaZtk.dpbs

Edited by shadow
  • Like 4

RedRanger

I have had that scam pulled on me in Manila.  Cost me 1500 peso

• Like 1

Kreole

I ALWAYS ask the driver to use the meter.  It doesn't matter to me the color of the taxi.  If the driver says the meter is broken or that he has a set fee for destinations, I just get out and call another.  One driver at Mactan was already underway when I asked him why his meter was not running.  He said it was broken.    I told him to stop the taxi and I was going to get out, but he said that he would give me a fair rate for my destination.  I warned him that from much experience I knew what it costs to my destination and would pay only that.  So when we arrived, that is what I did.  He was not happy, but he did not argue as I told him he was lucky to get even that for tying to run that scam on me.  That was the only time that happened to me.   

• Like 5

samatm

**** SCAM*****     ALL yellow Taxis have  Meters..   Meters that issue Receipts.. thats what used to set them apart from the other meters...    I am surprised he let you take pictures of his bogus rate card.     he probabaly woldnt let you take pics of His face and or car registration number. 

recently  I too opted for the Yellow cab as the white cab line was going to take at least 20 minutes.... The yellow cab line had just a few people waiting.   I noticed some  korean tourist being scammed by a driver and tout telling the tourist "NO Waiting"  and taking their bags to a a taxi that didnt even que up....

• Like 2

rep1

don't bother with yellow taxi. I never see any locals taking it.

Raven

Yellow-Taxis-in-Cebu-Mactan-airport.jpg

From VirtualTourist:

What is different between the white and yellow taxi?

The yellow taxi is officially airport taxi it has a new owner now, and taxi drivers are paid by the big boss. They are not allowed to pick up passengers on the street. They are only allowed to drive out and bring passengers to and from the airport

The difference is the price if you take a Yellow taxi, the meter start at ₱70 while White taxi start at ₱40

They are both safe especially when leaving from the airport. These are coupon taxi which is recorded by LTFRB and you can always complain anytime if you are not satisfy with the service

So, when you are out the arrival terminal turn right and follow sign taxi it'll take you to taxi stand
Take WHITE TAXI, the meter start from ₱40 with and every 1 km jumped to ₱2

Source: https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Philippines/Province_of_Cebu/Cebu_City-1402593/Transportation-Cebu_City-TG-C-1.html

calasiaobound

Duh...

Here's my approach before I even set foot in the cab.."kuya, meter?"

"No"... So I say, " hindi, salamat"..

And wait for the next one.

Alabam

There are prepay yellow cabs at Mactan, but you pay before you ride. Just like at Manila, prepay and metered cabs are in different places at the airport....Make sure the cab has a meter, then make sure he turns it on.... During high traffic times,  the driver may ask for a fixed rate....this is not a scam.......after you get under way and the driver asks for a fixed rate is a scam....

• Like 2

T.S.

Scam. I saw a white taxi with the meter mounted in a center dash storage compartment with a door so it could be hidden. It was closed until I asked about the meter, then he flipped the door up/open and turned it on.

Enuff

I thought all of the metered taxis had the information right on the doors p40 p3.5 etc for white & whatever for yellow

From the picture posted neither car has that, maybe they are like manila and have flat rate cars.

Monsoon

Yellow taxis have meters.

Did you not get a taxi slip that lists the license plate? 

ex231

I noticed some  korean tourist being scammed by a driver and tout telling the tourist "NO Waiting"  and taking their bags to a a taxi that didnt even que up....

That may or may not have been a scam. The last time I was at Mactan that happened to me and I was very skeptical but it turned out to be a legit cab that charged me a legit fare. The only thing I could figure out was that because he had the "Grab Taxi" sticker and no one was grabbing him and he wanted a fare lol

It is so bad in Manila that I refuse to do battle with the crooked bastards and use Uber exclusively.

• Like 3

mexiwi

Scam. I saw a white taxi with the meter mounted in a center dash storage compartment with a door so it could be hidden. It was closed until I asked about the meter, then he flipped the door up/open and turned it on.

Normal with the taxis in Kuala Lumpur - they love to cover the meter with a hat or something, then quote some exorbidant price.

Goetz1965

Ok you were tired so thats a reason for not arguing too long.

Usually take a picture of that laminated fare card, get the number of the cab and the drivers name. Pay him 200 only and tell thats the usual fare with a metered taxi ! Then tell him that you will go to LTO later for asking about this and discussing the issue there. As you have his taxi and name say that If he is right with what hes telling you you will apologize there and pay his 600php :-)
Bet you get away with not paying more hehe

Taxis are now also scamming at the port in Cebu. Got back from Bohol last weekend - first white taxi to go to Inayawan wanted 500 - as my gf knew that we just paid 170php when going from Inayawan to the pier she just told him to ****** of.

2nd Taxi said 300 - my gf said metered and he said "no meter" and lowered to 200.

As I wasn't in the mood for arguing I just put in the bags, took a seat and told him put on your meter and go - in the end it was just 160php 

If he had refused to drive me I had gotten his number and complained him at LTO !